Boxing - 16th OCT 2008.

Edit My Images
Yes
Covered some boxing late yesterday and it was very tricky. I had to open the D3 up to 6400 to nail the action and I used thirds to stop down to F/2. However it was not a great shoot as the Nikon primes whislt sharp, lack HSM and are simply not good enough for the D3 really. It is evenings like this that make me want Canon kit and L glass back. If only Nikon could produce glass on par with the L then I/we would be laughing. There is a new 50mm 1.4 HSM due in Dec for around £249.99 and for me it is a must buy. If Nikon can update the clunky 85mm's as well then great.

At the shoot I had a play with low ISO and slow shutter speeds to create something a little different. I think that they work though I did get some token nice stock. One cant convey the lack of light on shoots like this, but that is what makes it challenging. Nothing revolutionary, just pictures....

2947492693_4d296791e1.jpg

2948333204_3848648b79.jpg

2947484653_63d332d256.jpg

2948328640_c4f3f17944.jpg

2948342802_2a40ff28e5.jpg

2948340242_5593d58e8f.jpg

2947473719_2d1b6a7a44.jpg

2948323752_93a21e5701.jpg

2947474975_5c10804bb8.jpg

I agree with you that boxing can be very tricky with the light and real challenge. The color 'blurred' shots is nice one, really like what you've done with that! Great thinking (y)

The B&W images of coach and boxer... like them as well.

What sort of lens did you use for these shots?? Just out of curiosity (was it the 85mmm??)...

The light really must have been poor if you had to go up to 6400..
I've covered boxing twice - first possibly in a place like where you were.. with horrible lights and really struggling for the speed. Luckily in the end I was allowed to use flash in that place.. helped a lot!
The second was in a more 'pro' event and over there it was a lot easier with the light.. no need to stretch the ISO.

Thanks - I was using the 50mm 1.4....

Yes, the light was shocking and halved my workload but no point in complaining just get the camera at work....

difficult mate
I went to a fight night recently
my 40D only goes up to 3200 or something similar....and flash wasn't up to par..fast action too...had to use a 17-50 amateur f2.8 zoom lens to keep with the shots.
all my shots came out quite noisy....or just not fast enough....for example
http://mattdalton.net/images/stories/sport/kotrsept08/IMG_8254.JPG
http://mattdalton.net/images/stories/sport/kotrsept08/IMG_8765.JPG

There was a chap there with a D700, I think he should have come out better.
Well done though, such horrible lighting for cameras at boxing matches

I really like the colours you managed too in your non mono shots

Last edited:
great set! The 3rd and 5th are my favourites but they are all good.

ps if you number your photos its easier for people to comment on them (y)

Ryan

Nice set! Superb use of a 50mm too! I agree, the 1.4 is not quite up to standards with a D3 mechanically and I'll be awaiting the update also.
Anyway, very nice set.
T.

Last edited:
As always Pete, despite the lousy light and boxing being a sport I have no interest in whatsoever, you have captured images that I really want to look at. I keep trying to convince the karate lot that B&W images would give some great pictures for them with having to use high ISO's there too, but they are not convinced, kids must be in colour. I think I shall just send them all links to yours, let em see what a real pro can do! :D

As always Pete, despite the lousy light and boxing being a sport I have no interest in whatsoever, you have captured images that I really want to look at. I keep trying to convince the karate lot that B&W images would give some great pictures for them with having to use high ISO's there too, but they are not convinced, kids must be in colour. I think I shall just send them all links to yours, let em see what a real pro can do! :D

Thanks - I appreciate the feedback.

If I were you I would start thinking about multiple flash and strobe if your ISO cant cut it. Sport as ever is about knowing it and anticipation so I am sure you would do great.

Back