Boxing @ Tower Hall Birmingham

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
First, sorry these are small. They're what I'm not posting on facebook as the public are quite happy to rob images and make photobook's out of anything decent that can be printed.

Match was in Birmingham Tower Hall on 23rd march 2014. There were 10 matches in total, 9 x 4 rounds and 1 x 8 rounder. This was the 8 rounder and a championship belt on the line.

I'm not impressed with the venue at all. The roof was flaking and flies were literally dropping dead in the ring while I waited for the event to begin. Lighting was ok-ish but very harsh and dropped off if the boxers were not in the centre of the ring.
I used f4.0 24-105, 800th of a sec, 8000ISO. Due to the light-falloff when the fighters are not in the centre of the ring, pushing up the ISO to 10,000 just made the images too noisy due to the amount of darkness and then of course, blowing out the light that was there as it was so harsh.

Got kicked in the face (my fault for not using two eyes) and had a nice splattering of blood on my face. Oh, and the bouncers stopped me from taking a small bottle of water and some sweets. Wasn't the most comfortable of nights, but the fights were awesome!

13442202133_d2dfa5ae79_o_d.jpg

13442201773_4ff713df1d_o_d.jpg

13442076045_d2dfa5ae79_o_d.jpg

13442201973_4bef60e655_o_d.jpg

13442201833_6c0e90947d_o_d.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Jeez bet these look great at large size. That last image, the guys ripped for sure.Hope you flog some fella :)

Gaz

looks like you got some great action Carl. Got my next one in June, so will put into practice what advice i have been given.

Great shots, really like them all but for me the count shot tells the story. Awesome.

Great as usual
Just keep them coming plus nice to know the settings.

cheers everyone :) I have an event to go to on Saturday so will take some notes of what I encounter, see if that is useful for anyone.

Note: I was almost 2 stops under when I brought the images into camera raw. Upped the exposure by 1.8 in CR :confused:

and one last thing, if you do use AV/TV (the one where you can set shutterspeed), set that first and let the camera do everything else. Dont worry about noise :) have fun and what your face and use both eyes when taking photos !! :) thanks again

too small.. any critique is useless.. lots of great pic comments.. why? they might be.. they might not be.. i can make a blurred picture look good at this size ..

i'll do some separate 800px versions for flickr and tp, they are too small, cheers everyone, I'll go post up another match, higher res, thanks again :)

Back