Boxing training - wow they move fast!

Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all,

A friend of mine at University asked whether I could come down and take some images of one of their training sessions. They've just had a new temporary facility installed and there's a lot of excitement on campus surrounding this, especially with some of our high profile athletes.

Anyway.... first time photographing boxing.... wow, it's hard! It's so fast! But always a privilege to work with our enthusiastic athletes as they help me learn how to photograph different disciplines in a variety of lighting conditions.

It was a big of a struggle as the facility is very small and the lighting very direct, with no natural light at all! Plus, as it's small, many of the backgrounds are messy as there's a lot of clutter on floors etc. I chose a much harder / grittier edit for these as I believe it suits the images over the somewhat clinical look that usually comes out of the gym.

Still - I'm happy with the results and grateful for the opportunity :)

boxing-240322-3441 by RO Photography, on Flickr

boxing-240322-3006 by RO Photography, on Flickr

boxing-240322-2264 by RO Photography, on Flickr

boxing-240322-2202 by RO Photography, on Flickr

boxing-240322-3265 by RO Photography, on Flickr

boxing-240322-2209 by RO Photography, on Flickr

boxing-240322-2270 by RO Photography, on Flickr

boxing-240322-3140 by RO Photography, on Flickr

Good work ..

Star of the campus (?)

I'd love the opportunity to photograph them.

These are really nice, they have got good detail and have cleaned up well for such high ISO

many of the backgrounds are messy as there's a lot of clutter on floors etc
I wouldn't worry about it. It makes it natural and gives it a sense of place (IMVHO). I had a student do a project on this (he opted for B&W) and his summary was that practise and time spent just watching them will increase the hit rate. You've done really well though. Bad lighting + high shutter speeds is always tricky. The eyes look a bit over-white in 3 & the last one (compared to 4) but that could well be my perception.

4, 5 & 6 look really nice. (y)

They look good, if lacking a little action.

However you want Tony to comment as he probably has the most boxing experience on here ( @KIPAX ).

Back