Boxing

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Boxing is a massive challenge photographically, at least for me. Action is rapid and the name of the game is throwing a punch when it is least expected. That applies to the photographer too. Add in the constant movement, dark conditions, ugly backgrounds, refs in the way and the worst LED lights of all time and it is a wonder I got any decent shots. As it was I think it is my best attempt so far but quite a few images ruined as the black veil fell over the image with the anti flicker not coping with the lighting.

SA100453 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
SA108826 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
SA109774A by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
SA100319A by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
SA100516A by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
SA100806 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Last edited:
I took some pictures at at boxing event yesterday. I didn't think it was going to be easy - and it wasn’t! Anticipation, timing and not either rushing or falling over a bonus. Did you enjoy it?

I took some pictures at at boxing event yesterday. I didn't think it was going to be easy - and it wasn’t! Anticipation, timing and not either rushing or falling over a bonus. Did you enjoy it?
I love the sport and really enjoy the challenge of photographing it. The lighting makes it very tough though. How did you get on.

Love the flat face pic, well done. I love taking boxing pix, but some of the venues lighting are dire.I use Canon and anti flicker is not so good

These are good, I have photographed indoor sports in the past and its a nightmare at times. They move too fast with the limited lighting you either have to have the best of gear or live with the high iso shots. Yours look pretty clean.

As for the Ref they will be looking to get the same POV as you most of the time so a good one inevitably will get in your way .

I find if you do the sport your photographing or are big fan you will invariably get better shots. You will be able to read the situation and be able to get yourself in better positions.

These are good, I have photographed indoor sports in the past and its a nightmare at times. They move too fast with the limited lighting you either have to have the best of gear or live with the high iso shots. Yours look pretty clean.

As for the Ref they will be looking to get the same POV as you most of the time so a good one inevitably will get in your way .

I find if you do the sport your photographing or are big fan you will invariably get better shots. You will be able to read the situation and be able to get yourself in better positions.
Such a good point about the ref. I do sport once or twice a week and you get better and better at not only following but anticipating action. Looking back on teh 3 or 4 time I have done boxing previously I can see how I have grown as a photographer. My framing in camera is much better, the consistency of shots is better and I am missing nowhere near as much. Like most things, the more you do it the better you get

Back