Breaking through.

wow, i love these shots, especially like the reflection on breaking through.
I would love to learn how to do something like this, what equipment/setup do you need?

Patience is a virtue, well done (y)

Paul good shots - creative - doubt I would have the patience do this type of photography but one day you never know :)

Thanks all. I'm not the most patient person in the world lol Luckily I got these two shots on the same night because quite a few occasions I've ended up finishing the night in a huff:rolleyes:

wow, i love these shots, especially like the reflection on breaking through.
I would love to learn how to do something like this, what equipment/setup do you need?

Equipment set up can be fairly siimple, check out the video I've put down below. Gavin's tutorials are very good and I started off by watching that exact video then expanding from it by learning from others on here.

My equipment was like Gavin's in the video when I first started doing these shots, but since then I've got 4 flashguns instead of one and I put them behind a sheet of opal perspex instead of paper. That way I can play about with flash gels and different colours.

I've made a simple rig to drip the water at a steady speed and in the same spot. I can adjust the speed of the drops with an air regulator and aquarium pipes. If I get the speed of the drips right I might be lucky enough to get collisions but that takes even more patience. I'm getting tired of it taking hours per session to only come away with maybe 10 keepers so I am designing my own electronic system with solenoids to get perfect timed drops every shot. That means collisions in every picture. You can buy simple systems like that for about £150 but when I can make my own for half the price then I can't complain lol.

Ah Gavin's tutorial, I've seen him post on here a few times. I learned how to do my first water drops from his vid. Have to say though they were nothing like your first one, stunning surreal shot Paul.

Wow really didn't realise what was involved, now I need time and money, maybe I can just try luck.
Thank you for the info CaveDweller

Ah Gavin's tutorial, I've seen him post on here a few times. I learned how to do my first water drops from his vid. Have to say though they were nothing like your first one, stunning surreal shot Paul.
Cheers. Those ones above were not my first though lol. They may as well be with the amount of keepers I come away with each time I try them. I'm working on making my own electronic system to time the drops and fire my camera all through the pc, so I'll have another bash at drops when I'm testing it all out.

Wow really didn't realise what was involved, now I need time and money, maybe I can just try luck.
Thank you for the info CaveDweller
Yeh you wouldn't think it just to get pictures of water drops lol. Give it a go sometime though. It's good to try new techniques now and again.

Paul thanks for sharing the link & may give it a try when I've got time as busy with a move in three weeks (y)

Cheers. Those ones above were not my first though lol. They may as well be with the amount of keepers I come away with each time I try them. I'm working on making my own electronic system to time the drops and fire my camera all through the pc, so I'll have another bash at drops when I'm testing it all out.

Hi I think I still have the sketches I used when designing the Arduino Mega interface board which I used to capture this....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robmcbride/9775893121/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/robmcbride/9229499794/

I built the interface board on some vero-board to control Camera, 2 x Flashgun & 4 x solenoid, I found on the internet a program with a GUI to control the Arduino which controlled the interface.
I spent approx. £40 on everything.

I also built a battery operated single solenoid unit controlled by an Arduino with LCD screen for around £30

If I can find them do you want a copy?

Robbi

Hi I think I still have the sketches I used when designing the Arduino Mega interface board which I used to capture this....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robmcbride/9775893121/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/robmcbride/9229499794/

I built the interface board on some vero-board to control Camera, 2 x Flashgun & 4 x solenoid, I found on the internet a program with a GUI to control the Arduino which controlled the interface.
I spent approx. £40 on everything.

I also built a battery operated single solenoid unit controlled by an Arduino with LCD screen for around £30

If I can find them do you want a copy?

Robbi

that would be great thanks. I've not had a lot of time recently so any help would be appreciated lol

Back