Bright outside with a dark centre

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Had the opportunity to take over a local gallery to display some long exposure prints recently and decided to use the empty floorspace to get visitors in on the act too.

After a couple of hours blacking out the windows with a combination of tinfoil (for light-tightness) and black sugar paper (for appearance) I'd created an environment dark enough for a couple of minutes' lightpainting.

Here's some of what the visitors came up with, followed by a few of my own.

1/ The guy who drew this is an artist - it was really interesting to see how people from other creative practices took to the technique.

80K_7083sw

2/ Some first timers said it was quite appealing to be able to try lightpainting without the scary places and antisocial hours - this guy made a 100 mile round trip on that basis.

80K_7107sw

3/ Several school classes came in to visit and try some light games. One chap brought his family back as soon as the school bell rang - this is what they came up with

80K_7354sw

4/ Another couple of schoolkids came back and tried their hands at jump silhouettes.

80K_7473sw

5/ Working in the dark often leads to stuff getting broken or forgotten - or in this case, both: broke the cable for my remote receiver then forgot to switch off the transmitter.
7235249722_231ff542fd_c.jpg

Speaking as someone getting into light painting, I think they are all brilliant! Does look like you had a lot of fun!

Great set, god knows how you did them but they look fantastic!

Im getting pretty tired of light painting now but these are ok.

Seriously???? If you're tired of them, why even bother looking?

This is a superb series, and getting the visitors involved was inspired.

Thanks all... well, nearly all :)

Yes it was a lot of fun. Speaking as someone who spends a lot of time out at night, it was strangely tiring being in a darkened room for 8 hours a day. People loved it, generally speaking, so the decision to offer demos and trials seems to have been a good move.

Love the radiator. How is the effect of people's shadows done? is it just PP layers?

The shadows are done in different ways depending on the shot but it's not a PP effect. Images 7 & 9 are both straight from the camera (+ watermark). Nothing at all done in post but lots of effort on location.

#7 was my first attempt at this technique of moving the camera within the exposure and took eleven attempts to get everything lined up and exposed as I wanted it - gave me something to do in the time between visitors. Camera started close to the wall with me standing on a designated mark on the floor staring at a designated mark on the wall. Fired the flash with a red gel to colour it. Move the camera away from the wall, stand back on the same spot staring at the same mark, swap red gel for green and fire flash. Repeat for blue. Exposure time 132 seconds at f/11

#9 used the same principle but I left the middle of the radiator unlit so the pink would really shine through. Only three or four attempts for this and tbh I preferred an earlier version but I was careless when moving the camera and caught some lightspill from the windows right through the middle of the frame. 80 seconds at f/10

The silhouette in #8 was done by standing in front of a rotating light bar (thus blocking the light). It looks like the effect in #10 when left unblocked.

WOW .... these are class Andrew :clap:

What a fantastic set. If i had to choose between them, it would be No6, but as i said, these are all excellent fella (y)

Back