Critique Bristol Balloon Fiesta

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Headed down to Clifton on Friday evening to photograph the hot air balloons from the Bristol Balloon Fiesta. Sadly it was raining so the light and sky was very flat and boring, so I decided to try and perk it up a bit in Photoshop. Not something I'd usually do, so I'm expecting mixed opinions on this one.

We Fly High by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

Didn't make it there this year Jake, although they flew over the house.
The 'iconic' balloons over the Clifton Suspension Bridge has some great interpretations and classics so it's challenging - my thoughts are that this one just isn't right, it's not just the PP treatment (which doesn't do it for me) but also the crop/angle on the bridge and the sparsity/position of the balloons.
I would like to see it without the PP treatment and cropped up just below or level with the LHS of the bridge as I don't think the few feet under the bridge adds anything ... I just 'gut feel' that this isn't really a keeper ... sorry :)

I'd love to photograph this, buut @daugirdas has this properly nailed in terms not only of composition but the conditions. You want a sunny clear blue sky sort of day for this

You need more balloons really in the air, particularly higher up in the sky.

Last edited:
Didn't make it there this year Jake, although they flew over the house.
The 'iconic' balloons over the Clifton Suspension Bridge has some great interpretations and classics so it's challenging - my thoughts are that this one just isn't right, it's not just the PP treatment (which doesn't do it for me) but also the crop/angle on the bridge and the sparsity/position of the balloons.
I would like to see it without the PP treatment and cropped up just below or level with the LHS of the bridge as I don't think the few feet under the bridge adds anything ... I just 'gut feel' that this isn't really a keeper ... sorry :)
Thanks mate, I have to admit I'm not overly keen on the processing.
The lack of balloons is due to the weather (rain and wind), they were allowed to fly if they wanted to, as such not many did.
I'd love to photograph this, buut @daugirdas has this properly nailed in terms not only of composition but the conditions. You want a sunny clear blue sky sort of day for this

You need more balloons really in the air, particularly higher up in the sky.
Thanks mate, as above on this one! Yep he nailed it down there, got the conditions right.
I had spot on conditions last year but they never flew.

Back