Bristol Rugby VS. Newport Gwent Dragons.

Edit My Images
Yes
An insight into my first senior Bristol Rugby home game. Arrived @ 6.45 ish. Goto media room and create meta data/file info in press room on lap top. As always free hospitality, food and beveradges. Programmes and team sheets given to snappers in attendance as well as SKY and local news coverage.

7.15 into the ground. Light shocking. Set up in manual mode and @ 2.8 with ISO @ 1600 only getting shutter speeds of 1/50th. I am thinking what the hell is this lighting all about. Thats not right. 5 minutes later I remember thay my rear fitting polarizer is still in my 300mm 2.8. Laugh, I nearly cried. Sorted. Still only getting 1/320th at a push so choose to underexpose, go to 1/500th and PP. Then the lights go up a touch But happy with exposure so I leave it as set.

See my old mate Shaun Perry, Bristol captain and future England captain, the hot prospect in English Rugby at the moment. had a run in with him about 6 weeks ago at a reserve game. He told me that I was in his way as he was watching and that I should move. I refused. He then called me 'big ears'. Quite randomly I add as my ears seem fine to my plastic surgeon. I then retorted, 'well, you must be inherently thick if all you can do is throw a ball around a muddy field!' All sorted now though in that he later apologised and seems like a good bloke. Lucky really, he is a big old unit, but then, so am I - and I used to play Rugby - so ha!

An essentially dull game with Newport Gwent dominating the second half with Bristol looking average with Perry taken off at half time. Still, they won and the crowd went home happy. At one point my mate Kev shouts at me from the grandstand, I wave and say hello.

Back at the media room, I pack away my gear and note that 3 or 4 of the snappers in attendance shoot with either 350'ds or 20'ds, though the big agency players shoot D2H or D2x and Canon N's (me). A welsh tog asks me about my Sigma prime and has a look/feel. I advise him of the quality. He is suitably impressed, citing it as his next buy. Having just worked with the n's for the first time tonight. I am impressed. I read some threads on here the other day reference to 8.5. Sure its nice, I fired in burst and I think the great thing about these is the speed in which they nail 3 shots in the time others may nail 6 - if that makes sense. ISO much better than expected too. Camera is a dream to work with and if anything aimed at the experience user as it seems harder to put things wrong as multiple button/dials are required to change settings. I know that sounds backwards but I am trying to say that you need to know your lemons to set these machines up. My only dislike is that I would love a delete button like Nikon.

I then put my Lowepro photo trekker on, get to the car and drive the long, long journey home, it took 3 minutes 45 seconds. My Mummy asks if I would like a cuppa. Nice one Mum.

Overall another good nights work complete. Images subbed to clients as required. Despite having shot at much bigger events, I was a little nervous as very close to home and heart tonight.

Here are some images, enjoy. Apologies for the copyright this time. As I said Perry is the big name in Rugger at the moment and would not want some machavelian type pinching my images now would I! (ps Titan Images is my little company).

Perry releases the ball.

PBT_TitanImages_BR27102006.jpg

Nathan Budgett looks to break through.

PBT_TitanImages_BR27102006-1.jpg

Gang Tackled.

PBT_TitanImages_BR27102006-4.jpg

Evasive action.

PBT_TitanImages_BR27102006-5.jpg

Listen to me will you.

PBT_TitanImages_BR27102006-9.jpg

Agree to disagree

PBT_TitanImages_BR27102006-7.jpg

Perry dishes out the orders on pitch.

PBT_TitanImages_BR27102006-3.jpg

Release that ball!

PBT_TitanImages_BR27102006-10.jpg

The Line Out

PBT_TitanImages_BR27102006-8.jpg

Nice insight into the preparation and before match thoughts.

Superb pics as we have come to expect from you.(y) (y)

The Canon 1dmk2n is fantastic, I think 2 is a bit OTT :LOL:

Mark

some good shots there mate, like 'em.

nice one on pulling it off, i found it a hard sport to photograph even knowing the game reasonably well, good work.

Great stuff, Pete. As clear as a bell and the composition and content of the shots is brilliant. (y)

After reading the initial thread yesterday I was really looking forward to seeing your report and also the images, have to say I wasn't disappointed.

I am new member on this forum and too have taken the plunge and purchased a EOS Mk11n (the wife knows it looks expensive, fortunately she dosen't know exactly how much so) I have been very impressed with the results so far and the obvious advantage of the shutter speed when taking sport images.

I like you have spent many years rolling around in the mud playing rugby and also enjoy photographing it, after a lot of persistance to the local newspapers I am now getting my sports images published by them (not bad for an amateur hobby photographer) I have also managed to become the "Official Match Photographer" for the local Conference League side so my images get published in the match programmess also.

I wonder what the reaction from the Getty Photographers was to you being there last night and also intreigued indeed how you managed to get "the in" was it as it was a cup game, my understanding was that Guiness Premiership games were exclusive to Getty?

I have not used the camera under floods yet so your advice yesterday and this morning will come in very useful.

Regards

Dick..

After reading the initial thread yesterday I was really looking forward to seeing your report and also the images, have to say I wasn't disappointed.

I am new member on this forum and too have taken the plunge and purchased a EOS Mk11n (the wife knows it looks expensive, fortunately she dosen't know exactly how much so) I have been very impressed with the results so far and the obvious advantage of the shutter speed when taking sport images.

I like you have spent many years rolling around in the mud playing rugby and also enjoy photographing it, after a lot of persistance to the local newspapers I am now getting my sports images published by them (not bad for an amateur hobby photographer) I have also managed to become the "Official Match Photographer" for the local Conference League side so my images get published in the match programmess also.

I wonder what the reaction from the Getty Photographers was to you being there last night and also intreigued indeed how you managed to get "the in" was it as it was a cup game, my understanding was that Guiness Premiership games were exclusive to Getty?

I have not used the camera under floods yet so your advice yesterday and this morning will come in very useful.

Regards

Dick..

Hi Dick.

I shoot for an agency that has full Premiership accreditation. This was a cup game last night but the usual application to attend via fax was in place days ago. To be honest, there were maybe 15 snappers working last night of whom 5 or 6 were friendly, the rest come and go. Usually the bigger agency, but no harm done, just people going about the business, get the job done and go home.

As ever it is a competitive market place with everyone after the same shot. As I have always stated, irrespective of whether or not I go full time pro, I enjoy these events as I get better access. Simple as that. Ideally, I will go pro though as semi pro, I have been earning approx £125 - £200.00 each weekend from picture publication alone, which is nice. My goal is to work all over the UK and abroad 2/3 days a week and earn approx £300.00 - £500.00 which I can subsidise with home portrait work...we can only but dream. We have a full FA Licence on the way after application via my employer which is another story. I have been appointed as 'the soccer guy'!

The cliche of it soons pays for your gear is true as this week I bought 2 MK n's. a new wireless laptop, a data card. I did sell some gear on as well.

Glad you enjoyed the thread.

Interesting read and great pictures as always :)

(y) as above mate great shots and good to see its all going well for you keep up the good work pleasure looking at your threads(y)

I love the interaction between the ref and players in this one.

PBT_TitanImages_BR27102006-7.jpg

Great work.

A very very interesting read and some stunning results mate. (y).
It's great to see yet another amateur breaking into the pro market (and deservedly so), doing something he thoroughly enjoys :)

well done Pete, excellent shots too

Thats a great read and lol at leaving your filter on. I'm sure we've all done that. "Eh its so dark? Ooooooh *goes red*"

Fantastic work Diego - and lots of lovely pert bottoms to keep us girls happy ;) :D

Thanks for sharing Diego, really like the shots especially "gang tackled", spot on (y)

looks like they both decided to just hit him with the shoulder though rather than actually tackle him Ouch :D

As always, very good mate! Good to see the master plan coming together.

Not that we would ever tackle like that Lee!!!!

Back