British Wildlife Centre

Edit My Images
No
I really like the second owl, but my favourite is the fox - mainly because of the beautiful light you've managed to capture there, fantastic!

Not really a fan of the effect on the first owl, and maybe the otter could have used a bit more depth of field, but great set!

That's a superb set of photos - Each one great in its own right, although #2 of the perched owl is perhaps a bit 'standard'. But I love the others.

Where is The British Wildlife Centre, please? And Canon CPS? - I'm an amateur wildlife photographer using Canon.

Thanks for the comments.

The centre is in Lingfield, Surrey. The day was one of several on different subjects organised by Canon CPS and is something new they're trying out. They're free for CPS members although it's a lottery whether you get a spot (apparently the wildlife day was four times over-subscribed). The day consisted of two shooting sessions (one the owls, the other everything else) interspersed with talks from two wildlife pros (Danny Green & Mark Sisson). Canon also brought a truckload of kit which was free to borrow for the day to try out. I used a 200-400 for the day which was a simply amazing lens.

If you're not aware of CPS then you don't actually have to be a pro to join, you just need a certain level of qualifying equipment (two bodies & three lenses at a minimum).

Thanks for all the comprehensive info, @Vertigo1 :)

I have four L lenses but only one camera body, so I don't qualify for CPS but I have now checked out the centre's website and I could join a pre-booked day for amateurs for ~£90.

Lingfield is within very easy reach from where a very good friend of mine lives, so I can invite myself to stay there a couple of nights. He shoots (only occasionally) with a Canon 5D3 so he might want to come with me.

All of your shots except #2 look totally out in the wild and I especially like #1 for the wild-n-windy atmosphere.

Well as I said, the CPS days are something new they're trying out but, judging by the response they've had so far, I think they'll continue. Considering the days are free and you can borrow exotic equipment for free they're amazing value.

It might even be worth picking up a cheapish second body just to qualify for CPS - an original 5D would qualify or even a 40D (although not sure how long that'll be the case). Alternatively if you can find a friend or tog buddy who's a member, these events did allow you to bring a +1.

Well as I said, the CPS days are something new they're trying out but, judging by the response they've had so far, I think they'll continue. Considering the days are free and you can borrow exotic equipment for free they're amazing value.

It might even be worth picking up a cheapish second body just to qualify for CPS - an original 5D would qualify or even a 40D (although not sure how long that'll be the case). Alternatively if you can find a friend or tog buddy who's a member, these events did allow you to bring a +1.

....Hmm, I have a 7D Mark II on pre-order and am intending to sell my 70D which it is intended to replace and which also reduces my expenditure. I really don't want to keep the 70D and I most certainly would not want to have to carry two bodies and three lenses all day - I normally carry a body plus just two of my lenses depending what I'm shooting (I have 100 Macro, 70-200, 300, 400, plus two 1.4x Extenders). Using a new 400 DO lens would be fun but join the long queue!

I'll check out Canon CPS membership but doubtless there will also be a cost to join and, as I say, I ain't hanging onto two bodies. I am an amateur but do take my wildlife photography seriously - My Flickr page....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/

Last edited:
There's no cost to join CPS - as long as you have enough qualifying kit, it's free :)

I do understand what you mean though - as I do things like weddings, I need multiple bodies for flexibility and backup anyway but, if you don't need those, then it's an additional expense to keep a second one simply to qualify for CPS.

Some beautiful shots on your Flickr by the way! :)

Thanks for the compliment on my wildlife photography! Coming from you, it's very encouraging. :)

I would qualify for Silver CPS membership, but to tie up the several hundred pounds I can sell my 70D for unfortunately makes it financially unviable. A pity because I would have liked to have joined.

I must have a look at your posted shots on Flickr and see what lenses you used etc. Cheers!

P.S. - Just loaded your Flickr photostream.... Lots of foxy ladies as well as foxy foxes!

Wow that's an amazing set. Great picture, I visited your flickr link that's a great day of shooting!

BWC is a great place to go generally, but must even better for a photographic day! Real nice set (y)

P.S. - Just loaded your Flickr photostream.... Lots of foxy ladies as well as foxy foxes!

Haha, that was London Fashion Weekend, another Canon CPS event :)

Back