Brushed Stainless Steel Watch

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I decided to do some personal work and take a picture of a watch.
The surface is black paper with black foamcore for the BG. On the paper to create the reflection is a thin sheet of plastic from a cheap picture frame. Lighting is a 4ft parabolic softbox ~3 ft away and ~ 45* overhead/left. A second light is being bounced in from behind the BG camera rt. There's also about 3 other reflectors and a black card.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pLUaa1]SGK_1121-Edit.jpg by skersting66, on Flickr[/URL]

I had a lot of color noise in the watch and I couldn't get the brushed steel to look nice no matter what I did (I was advised it was probably CA)... I was pretty happy with the shot but not quite right. So I put it away for the night.
Then I had an idea I would try today... I would "break the rules" and light the watch directly from the front. The idea was to fill all of the brush marks with light so I used the 4ft parabox directly frontal from ~ 2ft. This time the BG is just the seamless paper (probably a mistake). Again there were numerous reflectors (overhead, sides, etc) but because I was using direct lighting I couldn't get black cards to show.
Still, I think the result is pretty nice and it did soften up the texture a lot.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pLSswg][/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/pLSswg]SGK_1121-Edit-Edit-2.jpg by skersting66, on Flickr[/URL]

With BG added.

SGK_1121-Edit-Edit-2-Edit.jpg
by skersting66, on Flickr

The watch is just one that I own... it's been worn and has a few extra nicks and dangs. I used the band ring from the box the watch came in (it's black), offset it to the side, and suspended it on a piece of coat hanger from the side.
Attached is the SOOC image (w/ automatic LR adjustments on import).

Comments/critique are welcome. I'm not entirely happy with the image... I feel it's probably a touch too flat. I wish more of my lights had modeling lights (actually I'm thinking of trying LED's in the future). And I should have shot tethered. Seeing what you're going to get/did get without those isn't easy... I think maybe I missed some opportunities. I probably should have spent more time with it, but when I realized I couldn't get black cards to show I kind of gave up. After that I decided to do a "bright field/dark field" backlit orange slice... maybe I'll post that later.

Last edited:
The background makes no sense to me. The background makes it look like it's floating in thin air.. which in itself is not a terrible thing... it's an advertising image after all... but if that were the case, then what's making the reflection? I'd have mirrored (and darkened slightly) the background image in the reflection part of the image too in order to make sense.As it was shot on black, I'd also use all the frame's area to increase quality. If you need more black, add more black... it's just black, but that slack space at the top just serves to make the image of the watch smaller in proportion to the sensor, and thus reduce quality.

Visually that makes a lot more sense now.

initially i would knee jerk at the clipped reflection...could have been avoided
cheers
geof

Clipped reflection? Nothing is clipping....
If you meant cutting it off at the bottom, that was intentional/choice.

glad i wasnt around then!!
:D
you are a cruel man!!
:plus1:

Back