Bubbles and Smoke

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I've done bubbles before and I've done smoke. I thought I would have a go at both together.
I put an England tray on a chair to get the reflection.

If anyone is interest how it's done.......

You need....

1, a black background. I bought a black double bed sheet for £5.50. (Primark)

2, a side light. I bought a flexible table lamp for £4.40 (Argos)

3. Joss sticks. £1 Get a smell you like :) (Market stalls)

4, Bubbles 50p (Morrisons)

You need the camera pointing straight at the black. I hung the sheet on my garage doors (inside of course).

I put the joss sticks on a tray then on a seat. Best to put them on a tray as the tip/ash falls off them. I used an England tray for this to get a reflection. If you don't want anything in the bubble use a black tray.

Flexible lamp goes on the right with a 40w bulb. You want the light going across the photo. Us a bit of card or whatever you have on one side of the lamp. You don't want any light hitting the black background.

The same height on the left side goes your flash. If you have a remote flash cool, if not, like me, you can get an extension cord for about £5
Again tie on black cards on each side of the flash to stop light hitting the camera or the background.

Turn off all lights except flexible lamp.

Put anything in front you where the joss stick and smoke will be. Focus the camera on this object.
Your camera should be on a tripod so once focused switch lens to manual focus. You now have you focus point just above the joss stick.

Light joss stick and blow bubbles above it. As they fall you want to catch the one that is landing on your focus point (where the smoke is, just above the joss stick).

For the colour mess around with hue in photoshop.

Give it a go and play around. You'll come up with your own way of things that make it unique :)

After typing in all of this I remembered a video I watched a while ago..............DOH!!!!!!!!!

This will give you the gist.......

[YOUTUBE]J2d281_HoEQ[/YOUTUBE]

5 This one has smoke in the bubble too. Done by a drag of a fag.

Last edited:
That is a really great idea you had there, really like the effect. Personally I think it would work just as well if not better without the tea tray reflections. (That has nothing to do with me being Scottish either!) :LOL:

That is a really great idea you had there, really like the effect. Personally I think it would work just as well if not better without the tea tray reflections. (That has nothing to do with me being Scottish either!) :LOL:

:LOL: Thanks.
I was going to take the tray out but I have loads of normal bubble shots :)

Like the third one, the bubble and smoke have a nice interaction(y)

Back