budget flash help please - Genesis AS500 Monolight vs Interfit EXD200 vs Metz BL-200

Name
Jane
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,
I am looking to buy cheap 2 heads for small home studio set up, entry level of budget no more then 350pounds. Just because budget is so small I cant afford good brands like profoto or bowens or elinchrom, but I am so keen to start I narrowed down to 3 choices, please any suggestions on those:

Genesis AS500 Monolight (factory refurbished)
Interfit EXD200 (that has good reviews)
or Metz BL-200 Mecastudio Flash Head (just because we love Metz)

I've used slightly older Calumet heads and while they were pretty generous they wouldn't repair the unit so they strike me as a bit of a dead end (does the closure of their American stores impact the availability of these?). The EXD200 isn't bad, the price has dropped and at £270 for a full kit it's good value and should be well suited as a entry level kit.

You do actually have more choices around that price, such as Lencarta but they're all using standard fittings so that's half the battle won and you'll probably want to leave a little in your budget to get a 5 in 1 reflector, radio trigger etc.

Yes after posting this, I found Lancarta as well. Though I remember my friend had those and I wasn't impresses at all. But then again I don't think any of above will be better for the price :( Got spoiled in uni with renting out pro equipment now can hardly afford start up kit. :D

I've got three smartflashes and an ultrapro. Very happy with them. They've improved the smartflashes since I bought them too.

I have no affiliation with lencarta other than owning some lencarta kit and using it for my work.

Try to use some and judge for yourself if you can. Although I'm struggling to see where you'd get better quality and support at the same price point?

Most of the latest stuff on my Flickr is shot with the old smart flash.

S

^^^ This.

And Metz has just gone bust. That's a shame, but more to do with their flat-screen TVs not being able to compete with Samsung etc in the German market, so we're told.

NOOO Metz Mecablitz 45 CL-4 was the best hand held flash i ever used!!!

Yes after posting this, I found Lancarta as well. Though I remember my friend had those and I wasn't impresses at all. But then again I don't think any of above will be better for the price :( Got spoiled in uni with renting out pro equipment now can hardly afford start up kit. :D

Surprised to hear that, but the Lencarta Smartflash-2 is fairly new and actually completely unrelated to the older Lencartas. Elicnhrom D-Lites are also recommended at the entry level end, but Smartflash-2 is the winner on value for money.

So i guess it is between Interfit EXD200 and Lancarta Smartflash after all. I wish I could play with Interfit EXD200, I like the way they look :D

Richard, my friend had Lancarta, Im not sure wiitch one as third light to 2 bowens heads, difference was massive (also output), inconsistent, slow - in one word pain. but if i use just Lancarta i guess i will be fine.

Shaheed, Im not sure, i think its own? But im not that fussed, my third light hopefully will be pro-foto after some time, I am planning to build proper kit, I just need low cost solution to start to test in home environment.

Elicnhrom D-Lites are also recommended at the entry level end, but Smartflash-2 is the winner on value for money.
Elicnhrom D-Lites are a bit out of budget :(

It feels like everyone suggests Smartflash-2 and i should listen, but just because i simply visually prefer Interfit i am waiting for someone to convince me they are better. :D

Judge them on the results. A fair few pros use lencarta kit.

I'm assuming you mean the quality of the light output rather than how they look?!?

Judge them on the results. A fair few pros use lencarta kit.

I'm assuming you mean the quality of the light output rather than how they look?!?

No i actually meant how they look :D But dont worry, it is not included in my comparison list :D

I am trying to google my best to see videos and results.
When it comes to expensive kit, I would be more relaxed, pro brands offer quality and possibilities to go wrong are actually small, but with cheap staff you can expect all kind of surprises.

Thank you so much for your time and input, actually seeing your work shot with Lancarta gives quite a lot reassurance it will be all right.

No worries.

There are many better than me who use it (I was sceptical when I bought my first studio head and after researching it bought 1 lencarta head - I now have 4)

I've no idea what you shoot or what kind of space you have to shoot in. Modifiers are important too. The interfits may well be limited by that?

If you live near Bradford, I think you can arrange to see the kit in the studio. Garry is a member on here and gives excellent technical advice.

As does Hoppy (Richard). They know their onions. Apologies to those knowledgable people I've not mentioned.

Do your research. See what will work best for you at the price you can afford.

Look forward to seeing some of your stuff

Shaheed

The Interfit heads use el-fit (same as Elinchrom) while Lencarta uses s-fit (same as Bowens), I'd favour Lencarta over Interfit as they provide a better range of modifiers and higher performance models. As long as you stick to the same fitting you do have the option of buying several different brands but it's easier to stick to one for a variety of reasons, probably not a huge concern for a home studio.

You could afford the Elinchrom d-lites by buying second hand but any of the brands mentioned all roughly do the same thing.

Jeeny, I can only think your experience of Lencarta is a one-off. In terms of performance and reliability there are no worries. I've written a review of a wide range of studio heads to be published shortly in Digital SLR Photography magazine that includes most of the brands you've mentioned (out in Jan I think) and while I can't tell you the result, I can say from from past experience of the Smartflash-2 that you will not go wrong there.

Just to add, if you have any cash spare, get Profold softboxes with their easy push-up umbrella-style mechanism. If you have to set-up and break-down each time, they are so much better. Another good thing about Lencarta, though I'm not sure it's mentioned on the website, is you can swap-out stuff from the kits and upgrade, without losing the kit saving. Phone or email Garry Edwards re that.

Simonbarker, Richard thank you! Yes I have decides I will go for Smartflash2. They are though out of stock or on pre-order, so I will just give them a call tomorrow to see when I can get them.
This was very helpful advice from all of you! Thank you again! I also remembered I have a bag of old modifiers i bought ages ago on sale for bowens (honeycombs and different cheaper side light controllers) this way I also will be able to use those.

Richard, I will be looking forward for your review in Digital SLR Photography magazine

So i guess it is between Interfit EXD200 and Lancarta Smartflash after all. I wish I could play with Interfit EXD200, I like the way they look :D

I use two Interfit EX150's for back lights, etc. The EXD200's in the photo appear to have a similar bracket and if so, beware. It is very flimsy and won't hold more than very light modifiers. ie, if you're thinking of using any bigger modifiers than you get with the kit it might be a problem. Mine won't even hold up a decent 24" softbox. (i use Elinchrom d-Lites as my main lights.)

The softboxes that come with the kits are often low end with only one diffuser and aren't recessed, so you can't add a grid. This is a major shortfall. At some point you are going to want to control light and that will mean using softboxes and grids.

I'm a great believer in the saying, "buy cheap and you pay twice". Buying photography gear has proved this to be true time and time again.

If you are a professional photographer and you especially need a dependable system, make sure the after sales service is as good as you will need.

Last edited:
http://www.lencarta.com/smart-flash...g-kit-softbox-umbrella?filter_name=Smartflash

Versatile, value for money set up. I use 1-2 smartflashes for the majority of my shots. You'll get stands, modifiers and triggers. Great (in my experience) customer support too.

This is what I bought also and upgraded the softbox to a profold Octo really easy to use the the triggers are good also, when I have the funds I'll be getting another with a barn door kit

As Jenny said buy cheap you buy twice, I was talked into buying a kit for £250 (2 heads 2 softboxes) from a local camera shop and the quality it really bad and one of the lights died after 13mths and the light range was poor.

Last edited:
Simonbarker, Richard thank you! Yes I have decides I will go for Smartflash2. They are though out of stock or on pre-order, so I will just give them a call tomorrow to see when I can get them.

will be interested to hear what the estimated date is for this? I've just ordered a bunch of stuff of lencarta (minus the flash unit) to use with my current speed lights and I'll order the a studio head once it's in stock and I have money.

I have both the Smartflash 200 Mk1 and EXD200 kits which were purchased secondhand but were as new on Ebay at £200 and £99 respectively and collected from the sellers. They are both fine for home use with plenty of power. The Smartflash is fan cooled, my EXD200 is not. The EXD200 can be set to ignore preflashes, the Mk1 Smartflash does not have this facility but the later Mk2 does. It is possible to buy Elinchrom to Bowens or vice versa mount adapters, I haven't bothered as I use the Interfits for the background. Both makes of the kit soft boxes are a pain to assemble and are best left assembled if space is available. I don't perceive the EXD mount bracket to be especially weak but would not hang heavy light modifiers on either make of head. The Lencarta stand are much more stable than the Interfit ones.
Both makes appear on Ebay every now and then, with the Interfits acheiving much lower prices compared to Lencarta.

will be interested to hear what the estimated date is for this? I've just ordered a bunch of stuff of lencarta (minus the flash unit) to use with my current speed lights and I'll order the a studio head once it's in stock and I have money.
Production now completed, we are collecting from the factory on Friday and should get them in the warehouse a week after that.

The Interfit heads use el-fit (same as Elinchrom) while Lencarta uses s-fit (same as Bowens), I'd favour Lencarta over Interfit as they provide a better range of modifiers and higher performance models. As long as you stick to the same fitting you do have the option of buying several different brands but it's easier to stick to one for a variety of reasons, probably not a huge concern for a home studio.

You could afford the Elinchrom d-lites by buying second hand but any of the brands mentioned all roughly do the same thing.

There are the same range of modified for Elinchrom and Bowens fit. Interfit are ideal as they work along side Elinchrom.

Back