Caen Hill Locks, Devizes

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Isn't Mother Nature a fantastic thing? When I set my alarm on Thursday night I had no idea I was going to witness conditions like this. It was -6.5 when I arrived at Caen Locks near Devizes and there was a thick frost across the landscape. I wasn't however expecting the pools of water between the locks to be frozen solid. As the morning commenced the sky lit up in the most fantastic array of pinks and oranges, so much so that I actually had to reduce the saturation of these images to stop it looking silly!

1 - Narrow Boats

2 - Panoramic shot comprising 2 landscape images.

3 - Portrait shot from the other side.

#2 really does suit that panoramic format. Definitely the stand out image here for me.

Nice sky, nice location. All have the texture, exposure and tonal range I look for.

1. Good english winter feeling, the river, pathway all lead you in.
2. Strong. I'd allow just a bit more room above the sky.
3. Strongest here, fills the frame

I do like that area, been a while since I've been there,
You've captured it beautifully

#2 really does suit that panoramic format. Definitely the stand out image here for me.
I do like that area, been a while since I've been there,
You've captured it beautifully
#2 for me Jake, really nice. I would like to see just a touch more sky above the tree.
Thanks all :) I agree Mark, I too want a touch more above the trees. Didn't notice it as an issue when composing, but with the blend and subsequent cropping I lost it sadly.

Last edited:
Back