Calibrated Monitor test - how do these look on your display

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I took these this morning at an event and have just finished doing some calibration to a new monitor I have and wonder although it looks good from my end - what it looks like on other displays and whether things are too dark or too light etc.. Would you mind giving me your input please :)

16329417276_71d8ff7b6b_b.jpg

16354497432_1b06e7fcd4_b.jpg

16355369305_60acb2583f_b.jpg

Just noticed some of the "blips" in the 2nd image, i.e. to the right of the lady and by her hair so I have done a bit of PP and blackened it out - can you see any patches or does this look ok? Cheers!

16355495295_e09b78fdba_b.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Look fab to me Carl. Great skin tones :) How were these taken/lite ?

Gaz

Look fab to me Carl. Great skin tones :) How were these taken/lite ?

Gaz
cheers gary

I had flash on manual 1/16th power bouncing off ceiling, shutterspeed at 160th, 70mm as I couldnt stand back any further, F2.8 and ISO500. My gary fong doo-dah has gone missing, my little girl has been playing with it and I havent seen it since so its <somewhere> :eek:

Last edited:
Skin tones look a touch pale and a smidge green in #2, but corrected in your edit posted as #4.

They look absolutely fine on my monitor.:)

On my 40" Samsung TV they also look great apart from #2 which ahs already been marked up and looks much better in 4.

Apart from that #1 looks a bit light but probably due to a degree of flare due to the lights, but a slight darkening and maybe contrast increase would help.

cheers gary

I had flash on manual 1/16th power bouncing off ceiling, shutterspeed at 160th, 70mm as I couldnt stand back any further, F2.8 and ISO500. My gary fong doo-dah has gone missing, my little girl has been playing with it and I havent seen it since so its <somewhere> :eek:
Cheers Carl. Am impressed they look very good. Is there reason for using manual on the flash. Only askingf as most people seem to suggest manual on camera and ettl with flash in hot shoe. Well I say most thats what I do when i've used flash before.
Ps: please ignore my ignorance I am not a photographer but enjoy taking photos when i'm feeling confident enough :)

Gaz

As a standby for a Gary Fong....do as Joe McNally and use pieces of duct tape, possibly with some paper/card to shape any light direction your want.

Cheers Carl. Am impressed they look very good. Is there reason for using manual on the flash. Only askingf as most people seem to suggest manual on camera and ettl with flash in hot shoe. Well I say most thats what I do when i've used flash before.
Ps: please ignore my ignorance I am not a photographer but enjoy taking photos when i'm feeling confident enough :)

Gaz
No course not, ask any questions, this is what TP is for (y) sorry my explanation is going to be a bit longer than a one liner, but I think its worth giving the full info, so people can understand the environment and reasons so here goes:

I have been trying to use the ettl functionality on my YN568 flash (with manual settings on the camera) but I seem to always seem to have underexposure) :/ If it is a really well lit room and plenty of light and I just need a <little> flash, it normally works fine, but in a darker room (this was a conference room, ceiling was about 10 foot, lighting was that office-style diffused light) and not very bright at all.

Since I started with cheapo-neweer flashes, Im quite used to setting the power manually (for macro photography) with manual settings on the camera.

If I had the fong, I would have lit up the subjects by having the flash pointing directly at them, set my flash to ETTL and + bracket on the exposure on the flash to get the underexposure sorted - but since i didn't have the fong diffuser that meant I either bounced the flash off the ceiling (was low enough) or point the flash directly at the subjects which meant blind them with flash and get some red eye.

Also, this was an event and I had to shoot JPG for onsite printing (the above were processed RAWs as I shot RAW and JPG), the wife using my DS40 printer and laptop, she isn't very post-process savvy so I had to get it as good as I could straight from the camera (no red eye for example) so she could print and sell to the client (parents who brought children to see the "characters" at the event).

So a couple of test shots with the wife before the event begins, first at 1/32th power, then set it to 1/16th power so I didnt go draining batteries too quickly (I had two sets anyway), and upping the ISO worked fine in this instance. I need to read up a bit more on the ETTL and how it is metering my subjects - I think the problem is ME rather than the flash and I need to do some more reading on how the flash is metering the subjects. :)

After some googling, I found this link which explains things great so will be trying this:
http://cameradojo.com/mastering-your-flash-101-learning-to-love-ettlittl/

Last edited:
hi Carlh, i think No 1 is a tad to bright for me . the rest seem spot on skin tones ,colours etc . All my work done on my laptop colours brightness setup by eye and using calibrize and about 3 months of testing.

Well Carl. That is a fab explanation for sure. It is a real treat to hear your thoughts as you took these and confirms all the similiar thoughts I would have.Tips taken away from your info, are testing the flash before hand on someone, sounds obvious when written down plus the tip about the flash power and conserving energy, again easy to overlook.
Many thanks

Hope you made a few penniesfrom the experiance.

Gaz

hi Carlh, i think No 1 is a tad to bright for me . the rest seem spot on skin tones ,colours etc . All my work done on my laptop colours brightness setup by eye and using calibrize and about 3 months of testing.

(y) thats great, most appreciated. The first one is pretty bright, I had to take down exposure in camera raw as I left the settings as they were when taking that shot, not compensating for the extra light given by the makeup lights

Well Carl. That is a fab explanation for sure. It is a real treat to hear your thoughts as you took these and confirms all the similiar thoughts I would have.Tips taken away from your info, are testing the flash before hand on someone, sounds obvious when written down plus the tip about the flash power and conserving energy, again easy to overlook.
Many thanks

Hope you made a few penniesfrom the experiance.

Gaz

Cheers gaz (y)

The highlights on the blonde wig and on the snowman are blown out when viewing on an ipad.

Back