California Wedding

Name
Christian Elizabeth
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my cousins wedding... I am still learning a lot and she asked me to do the photos because they just didn't have any room in their budget to hire someone... I just wanted to share a few and get some pointers for the possible future:)

15117161464_1fe4362b68_b.jpg

15405783635_4fc62c19c2_b.jpg

15551245829_f9fdaf6227_b.jpg

15221063560_1244c736d2_b.jpg

15551896667_9547009911_b.jpg

15117697913_96287a9425_b.jpg

The first thing that really signs out is the processing spoils a lot of them. There is some strange fake blur going on in the bus shot - which if left alone think is nearly great. (The bus entirely in frame would have made it)

Same with the brushed flare round the sun in number 4. Takes away from a nice shot.

And the halo in number 6. Can you go and reprocess these? - I think it'd make a big difference. This time leaving the fake blur and lens flare alone.

I really like number 5. Number 1 is lovely too, but you could have framed a bit loser to save the chopped limbs.

I like them ..just taking out the half a stop sign and the overhead wires would help....good job ..nice people . thin young bride and good raport with with girls ..harsh light handeled well.

I think number two is a great shot, except that although I know it's level, it's thrown off by angle of the shot - the top of the doorframe is making it look wonky.

Number 1 is a great group photo!

I think you've done really well! But I also agree with Hugh, I think the processing is a bit suspect in a few of them - not keen on the haloing around the couple in 6. The lens flare(s) in 4 don't work so great, I would remove them.

:)

The first thing that really signs out is the processing spoils a lot of them. There is some strange fake blur going on in the bus shot - which if left alone think is nearly great. (The bus entirely in frame would have made it)

Same with the brushed flare round the sun in number 4. Takes away from a nice shot.

And the halo in number 6. Can you go and reprocess these? - I think it'd make a big difference. This time leaving the fake blur and lens flare alone.

I really like number 5. Number 1 is lovely too, but you could have framed a bit loser to save the chopped limbs.

All of the above really. Processing has ruined these.

1 and 2 blown background
3 bus roof to sky blown also lens flare
4,5,6 have halo's
thes could be good pics if processed properly

#1 You didn't recompose after you focused, which is why they're too low in the frame.

#2 All that hardware on the door is a distraction, but my main problem with this picture is the composition. Is that the full frame or a crop?

#3 You were in the wrong place for that shot. If you'd simply shot it square on to the side of the bus, it could have been a great shot and you wouldn't have got that flare.

#4 I guess you were keeping out of somebody's way when you took this shot?

#5 No faces, no emotion ... You missed the moment.

#6 Not a bad try at all, but too much composition and not enough emotion/expression for me.

Thanks for your replies I will definitely re-process and fix some of the things you have pointed out.... I was disappointed in the angle I had to take the bus shot but there really was no other option straight on I would have had to go in a neighbors yard... number 1 the reason they were so low in the frame is because I was shooting behind the kitchen counter and the couple was in the middle of moving so it was coverer with boxes and things and we were in a rush so no time to clear if off... The harsh light was also very challenging for me... This is the type of job I would have loved to be an assistant to so that I could see the best way to handle each challenging situation.... My cousin loved the photos which was most important to me but every time I take on a challenge it just makes me realize how much farther I have to go

also I don't see the halo in number 6 when I pull it up in lightroom??? but obviously its there so I will try to fix that as well

I was disappointed in the angle I had to take the bus shot but there really was no other option straight on I would have had to go in a neighbors yard

So that's what you do. You go into their yard. If they shout at you, so smile sweetly and say "I'm sorry" :) Whatever, if you have to take an oblique picture of a vehicle like that, it always looks "wrong" if you're shooting from the back of it. You definitely need to be at the front end.

every time I take on a challenge it just makes me realize how much farther I have to go

Keep that attitude and eventually you'll get there ;)

Every wedding photograph is an experimet ..some work some dont ..in a full wedding over 6 hrs we often take 1500 photos and reject 700 due to duplicaton and blinks etf.
so without seeing all you shot we cannot judge ...1500 in 6 hrs is 250 per hour ok thats two of us but you aint got a lot of time to think and the people are not alway co opeative ....drunk or with an agenda you dont understand ...so just keep at it and dont take any notice of the nay sayers.

was she happy ?? did she sue ....if its yes no then take your profit and relax ( provided you were wired so you can rebute any complaints)

I think that might be a bit over the top. Sure there are a few modifications that may or may not be to peoples taste, but they're hardly ruined.

The processing was the first thing I noticed when looking at the images, so as far as I'm concerned, it's killed them.

Last edited:
I don't mind the high framing on the group shot. Just would've taken a step back to frame a bit looser.

Besides that, I agree with Hugh, Dan and David. Dial down the fake blur and crazy highlight recovery, and let the photos speak for themselves.

1 and 2 blown background

Really? They're also in black and white, and don't have any aeroplanes in them.

Do you think they would be better without blown highlights? Or that they weren't intentionally shot that way?

just keep at it and dont take any notice of the nay sayers.

was she happy ?? did she sue ....if its yes no then take your profit and relax ( provided you were wired so you can rebute any complaints)

Yea, making it through the day without getting sued by my family is my only target when I get up in the morning too.

jayster84

sarcasim is the lowest form of wit
the op asked for cc and thats what i gave. so whats with the aeorplane comment
so as we say in Scotland to people like you
away and bile yir heid :mooning::mooning::mooning:

Last edited:
the op asked for cc and thats what i gave. so whats with the aeorplane comment

Actually, she asked for pointers for the future. Not obvious and irrelevant observations about the photos - which were presumably meant as criticisms without any constructive reasoning. Pointing out that the background is blown in those photos, is as useful as pointing out that they were taken at a wedding (or that they are in black and white, and feature no aeroplanes).

jayst84

did i not post this line below in my initial response to the op maybe you did not read it .
anyway im sure if the op wants to say somthing to me she is more than capable so wind your neck in

thes could be good pics if processed properly

so once again
away and bile yir heid :mooning::mooning::mooning:

Last edited:
What a fabulous location for a wedding. I do agree with some of the comments. The fake blur and fake flare (that rhymes when your from Wigan - Blur and Flur!) really do detract, but a lot of people are probably guilty of doing it in their early stages, me included. There are some lovely ideas though but the halo on the last one really kills it IMO. Sometimes, it is more than acceptable to let things blow. Like in the first shot especially. Blown windows are never an issue for me. Let them go IMO.

@holty, I think what @Jayst84 meant with his response to you, was that you were very direct with "it's blown", meaning it's automatically bad/wrong. You may not like it, but IMO, it;s certainly not as clear cut as that. You definitely wouldn't like most of my wedding photos if blown backgrounds automatically equals fail!

Anyway, @CC92713 , there is some very good advice here and hopefully you will read it as intended by most. I am no expert at all and only have 3 weddings under my belt so what I say may be complete rubbish, but are just my observations. :)

Thanks for the comments I toned down the blurring and fixed the halo.... I'm glad I can bring my work here and get some honest critiques

I like #2 :)

With 6 have you brushed them to raise their exposure? Might have brushed too much of the surround also giving you the halo.

Back