Calling All Pentax & Samsung Users!!!!!!!

Well I think I have made a boo boo...I bought a pentax -m 1:2 50mm k mount for my k10 (soon upgrading to K7) and although it fits the camera it doesnt work. Am I wrong in thinking that k mount lenses are for k pentax's? It was only £15 but don't want to make the same mistake again.
Got it off eBay yesterday, should I send it back or am I doing something wrong..probably the latter..Help anyone?

Should work fine ... whats the problem?

As per my post in the doh thread its a setting in your camera menu.something like manual aperture control, basically by default its set to 1 and it needs to be set to 2. Take a look on Pentaxforum.com

Should work fine if you set the mode dial to 'M'.

dave.

If anyone has been considering a move to the K-7 then Dixons have a very decent price going right now.
£560 for body and 18-55wr lens.
I ordered one on Thursday, so should receive this week :)

How did you guys choose between the Pentax K-r or K-7? I was clearing out the house, and I found some old lens and I've read somewhere it said that all pentax lens were all compatible.

I am leaning towards the K-r because I don't know really =/ errr. I've been to the shops and tested them out but I don't know which one to go for.

Completely forgot about this thread ......... :wacky: ......... just a heads up if anyone is pondering over high ISO performance of the K5, ......... had a play with mine over the weekend ........... Thread here >>>> http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=324803
Really pleased with the results ........... (poor response to the thread though :shrug: )

Dave ....

Nice work Dave. (y)

I think a lot of people glaze over when you mention Pentax. More fool them. ;)

Ooh, not seen this thread before, just poking my head round the corner with my Super A. :wave:

How did you guys choose between the Pentax K-r or K-7? I was clearing out the house, and I found some old lens and I've read somewhere it said that all pentax lens were all compatible.

I am leaning towards the K-r because I don't know really =/ errr. I've been to the shops and tested them out but I don't know which one to go for.

I decided I wanted the high end body with the more control and weather sealing, plus I became rather adicted to the top level lcd that my K100D has and wanted to continue with one.

I imagine from a shooting point of view they are roughly identical though, goign by the specs, but I have not tried a Kr.
Although I know the Kr will have the better high iso ability over the K-7 (Although its high noise issues at high iso are no longer an issue when used in raw)

This may be a god place to ask - 70-210 or 70-200 lenses: Who's got what and what's good? Been looking at the Sigma 70-210 UCII, although not very fast it's compact and cheap. Hoping someone else has one!

I've only got the 24mm Sigma of that sort of age and went for Tamron Adaptall, Tokina and of course Pentax "back in the day". My slowish zoom was a MF Tokina, and I've got the fast Tamron and Tokina (preferring the Tamron) and the Tamron ƒ/3.5. Unfortunately, the Adaptall adapters in Pentax fit are now very expensive, due to the popularity of the old lenses.

Thanks for your replies. I think I don't know if ISO is that important for me as a beginner. I will take some pictures in low light.

Weather resistance isn't that important to me.

Mike P, Buy me the K5 then please? I don't have £1000 to splash at the moment :(

Well I can feel safe to say after a proper day shooting with the K-7 now, its a major stepup from the K100D in everyway (no real surprise there!) My concerns over high ISO not being an improvement were a none issue, deffo getting better results.

Taking a bit of getting used to the migration though, but am getting there, but my god, its a total dream to use :)

Well I can feel safe to say after a proper day shooting with the K-7 now, its a major stepup from the K100D in everyway (no real surprise there!) My concerns over high ISO not being an improvement were a none issue, deffo getting better results.

K-7 is certainly better noise wise than the K100D and K10D. It is very slightly worse than the K20D (probably due to the included video) but it is a great camera. I use mine a lot more than the K-5 as most of the time it's all I need.

The K-7 is a lovely camera, I certainly enjoyed using mine when I had one.

I think I may buy the K-R rather than the K7 now. I've been looking at the K-R and I can see that lasting me for quite a while now. (not that K7 wouldn't.)

I think it comes down to which feels better in your hands...
The Kr is a very capable camera with much better high ISO performance than the K7..

Better introduce myself as I have only just found this thread - Im a confirmed K20d owner since Jan who will eventually upgrade to a K5, but having just bought my first macro lens, think I will have enough to keep me occuppied for a while...

Always have to hunt to find the Pentax threads:-(

Welcome to all new posters on this thread.

I have a jobb! :D

This means I have quite a lot of money to buy cameras, which includes looking at the K5.

I am thinking of getting this cameras and lasting me a good few years before moving on, however if I get the top of the range, I wouldn't have to get another one to replace and spend all the money on lens yes?

Also I was thinking of getting the camera body only seeing as at home I've got a lot of my uncle's old lenses, and because of the backward compatibility, I wouldn't need to buy it with bundle lens.

Just joined and really glad to see so many Pentax fans on here.
I'm a K-x owner myself and love it.
I was wondering what you all thought of Pentax being bought out by Ricoh
Is this a good thing or the end of Pentax.

Cheers G

Last edited:
another pentax user here. had mz-50 and mz-7 35mm slrs years ago so decided to stick with pentax. recently upgraded from a k-x to a k5. great bits of kit!

Another K5 owner here.

A really good and very easy to use camera. Having great fun using lenses I haven't touched for about 25 -30 years.

Dave

Another Pentax user here bought a *ist d about 18 months ago, just upgraded to a K7 world of differance but a massive learning curve.

Last edited:
Bringing back this thread, and I'm looking about buying a new lens. I'm going on a 12 day cruise late July so I want a quite nice lens. So far I have a 18-55mm lens and I'm looking for a wider range but I'm not sure what to get. I doubt I'm going to get the 18-55mm with me to be honest. I want a wide range, which is something I'm looking for I think.

Bringing back this thread, and I'm looking about buying a new lens. I'm going on a 12 day cruise late July so I want a quite nice lens. So far I have a 18-55mm lens and I'm looking for a wider range but I'm not sure what to get. I doubt I'm going to get the 18-55mm with me to be honest. I want a wide range, which is something I'm looking for I think.

Make a new thread and you might get a lot more replies. BTW What do you mean by wide range? do you want a wider lens or do you want a lens that has a greater range?

If it is the first then the Sigma 10-20/8-16 are great choices as the 12-24 from Pentax is both expensive and not wide enough.

If it is the second then the 18-135 Pentax is a decent enough choice.

What Pentax do you have?

KR, thanks I will put this in another thread. um I assume I want greater range? I'm not too sure.

I don't know if the pentax 18-55mm will be enough for the cruise you see.

Hi folks, K-x owner here, love using the camera but in the process of downsizing to micro 4/3!

Hi all

K10d and k100d here. lenses include 18-55/50-200wr/ 50-200dal/55-300da/50 and a few older tokinas

Looking to go k5 at some point.

hey y'all

i just scored a samsung gx-10 that comes with a tamron 18-200

looking forward to getting my hands on them.

i have always been a nikon man so am intrigued by my new purchase.

yay

Don't know about the Tamron lens but the Pentax K10D was my first DSLR and it hooked me into Pentax. Get tempted towards Nikon and Canon on occasion but lfeel the Pentax camera range, although limited, is real value for money. Hope you enjoy it when you get it.

Don't know about the Tamron lens but the Pentax K10D was my first DSLR and it hooked me into Pentax. Get tempted towards Nikon and Canon on occasion but lfeel the Pentax camera range, although limited, is real value for money. Hope you enjoy it when you get it.

cheers dude...there are varying reviews on the tamron...i can always sell it!:LOL:

cheers dude...there are varying reviews on the tamron...i can always sell it!:LOL:

I think a zoom that covers such a wide focal length range is always going to have a tough time matching up to IQ compared to primes or shorter range zooms but the flexibility for a walk around lens may compensate. I'm sure you'll have fun trying it though.

I think a zoom that covers such a wide focal length range is always going to have a tough time matching up to IQ compared to primes or shorter range zooms but the flexibility for a walk around lens may compensate. I'm sure you'll have fun trying it though.

totally agree dude...but it was a good price so i thought hey ho if its a rubbish lens sell it and move on. got my eye on a 50mm 1.7 now!

totally agree dude...but it was a good price so i thought hey ho if its a rubbish lens sell it and move on. got my eye on a 50mm 1.7 now!

I had a Pentax-F 50mm 1.7 before I sold it and got an FA 50mm 1.4. Loved using the 50mm 1.7 wide open for the razor thin DoF and lovely bokeh. It's also a great combination of a small lens and a small DSLR that can be used discretely.

Back