Camera bag for flying with ryanair

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I am flying out with Ryanair on Sunday and want take my dslr only that i have a lowepro flip side 400 and it 25cm dept in which Ryanair state on there website can only take 20cm dept in cabin...

So any of you guys been flying with Ryanair and what bag you used or any probs?

Don't know the size but I've used a think tank photo streetwalker pro which was ok but... They are **** hot on the weight allowances so be warned... To be honest given the choice I'll never fly with them again.

I think we won't either but flight was dirt cheap so go try work something out weight not a prob as it 6kg

Have just checked yours is 19cm dept that why u were ok :)

Is the bag solid, as long as you can squeeze it into the box by the door of the plane you will be OK.

I bought a Flipside 300 this year, specifically because I was flying Ryanair.

Plenty of room for 7D with 15-85 attached, 10-22, 70-300L, S95, charger, etc.

Hmmm don't really want buy another bag any more comments no one out there with a flipside 400 been on ryanair

PS. I always travel hand luggage Ryanair...

I went with Ryanair to Rome in July and was surprised that they had started checking all the hand luggage. :eek: They had only done this if the bags were obviously too big previously. I panicked as I was in the queue, but my bag seemed to be well within the dimensions.

I use a rucksack for my camera gear (and laptop) when I'm away. I used to have a camera backpack but would rather not show that I have camera overtly with me. :shrug:

Hmmm don't really want buy another bag any more comments no one out there with a flipside 400 been on ryanair

Yeah plenty times, my bag fits fine on all flights ive been on, you will manage to squeeze it a bit if you have too.

Any RyanAir flight I've been on they have only checked the 'cabin baggage' style bags and not looked at people with hold-alls and rucksacks. If it's only 5cm over then just don't pack it completely full and you should be able to squeeze it into the checker frame thing.

Any RyanAir flight I've been on they have only checked the 'cabin baggage' style bags and not looked at people with hold-alls and rucksacks. If it's only 5cm over then just don't pack it completely full and you should be able to squeeze it into the checker frame thing.

That's been pretty much my experience too.

If it's only 5cm over then just don't pack it completely full and you should be able to squeeze it into the checker frame thing.

It surprising what you can fit in pockets - wear 'cargo' type trousers and a coat with big pockets. If your bag won't squash to fit the frame, empty out of the bag in to your pockets until it will. Go through the desk and put everything back in the bag - the staff give you really dirty looks if you do it in full view!

They seem a lot more keen on checking the size on flights out of the UK as well, we rarely get checked when we fly to the UK, but nearly always when coming back home. The last time we flew back they tried to charge me £55 for being 200grams over the limit on my hold luggage, they backed down when I asked them to weigh my bag without adding the weight of the plastic tray they put on luggage belt!

Any RyanAir flight I've been on they have only checked the 'cabin baggage' style bags and not looked at people with hold-alls and rucksacks.

They were checking all bags the last time I went away in July. It is something to keep in mind with regards to the time to get through to the plane. The extra time to check all the luggage slowed everyone going through a lot as you would expect.

Last edited:
It does seem a bit arbitrary, and I've had different experiences at various airports in the UK, Emirates, Africa and India.

One of my better memories was checking in at Ciampino (Rome) in January. The flight was running a bit late, and the check in lady suggested we just go for a coffee and "a cigarette" while we were waiting. I asked her if smoking was permitted in the airport, and she said "No, but just go downstairs to the back, no-one will mind". A refreshingly couldn't care less attitude!

I used a Dryzone 100 when we went to Malta without any issues.
Handy as it rained when we got there too :(

I also recommend a photographer's waistcoat; I've managed over 5Kg in one on occasion.

Last edited:

I also recommend a photographer's waistcoat; I've managed over 5Kg in one on occasion.
Nice one, thanks Bill :)

Depends on the airline. Some allow 55*45*25, some are 55*40*20
They all seem different, which seems lunacy... unless you own or have shares in a luggage manufacturer as well as an airline :rolleyes:

It seems that since they now allow passengers to take a separate handbag as well as cabin bag they have introduced a Policy where the first 90 bags can be carried on board after which everyone else has to put their cabin baggage in the hold. I just escaped that in May going out to Reus when I had D7100,24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 in my carry on bag. Best way to avoid it is pay the priority boarding fee as you should then be in the first 90.

Last edited:
Dean, I'm flying fromGatwick on Thursday and will have both the backpacks I mentioned....I'll be trying both in their cage thingys and will report back!! (y)

It seems that since they now allow passengers to take a separate handbag as well as cabin bag they have introduced a Policy where the first 90 bags can be carried on board after which everyone else has to put their cabin baggage in the hold. I just escaped that in May going out to Reus when I had D7100,24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 in my carry on bag. Best way to avoid it is pay the priority boarding fee as you wont then be in the first 90.
Cheers Graham, that is what we have done... sounds like you had a lucky escape !!!

I've been using a Thinktank airport accelerator v2, 1.5kgs fits all the budget airline luggage sizes, although it looks like its been replaced by the accelerator backpack which is slightly bigger in size.

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Ba...ration-Backpack-V20_THI-AIRPORTACCV20T492.htm

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Ba...acks/Think-Tank-Accelerator-Backpack_T489.htm

The reason I bought the original thinktank is because of the weight, significantly lighter than my lowepro photo trekker AWII

Last edited:
I don't fly with Ryanair on principle.

However, when flying with others (inc EasyJet) I tuck a RufusRoo into the top of my Tamrac Evolution 8 in case I get a jobsworth on check-in.:bat:

Never had to use it, but the theory is to unpack the bag into the RufusRoo if challenged, then stick it back in the bag when clear.

I'll look a pratt (or more of a pratt) for a few minutes, then onwards and upwards.

I have done this quite a few times,the photographers waistcoat surprising what you can fit into their pockets :)

Thanks again Peter, still holding a good price I see, they are not shipping internationally, may keep my eye open in the classifieds... there again, thanks to some starters here, I have found a nice few on WEX & Amazon that also now have me pondering :)

Just a bit strange that they advertising on eBay.co.uk the page shows international postage to UK and import tax, but then say no international bidders, puzzling, I would email the seller to see whether he's willing to sell it, that's if you're still interested in that bag

Back