Camera for taking action shots?

Name
tasha
Edit My Images
No
I'm Looking to buy myself a DSLR camera but I ideally want one that can take good action shots as my subjects are mostly of dogs.
My budget is £300 can anyone recomend a camera?

With that sort of budget i suppose the body wont make much of a difference, it will be more the lens, if your wanting to take action shots you will need as fast a lens as possible, maybe a 50mm 1.8 prime would do well?

You might struggle to find a DSLR for that kind of price new, would you consider buying one second hand from here? If so, I'd strongly recommend getting something like a Canon 350D, or 400D, then start thinking about the lens.

While the 50mm f/1.8 is a good lens, it probably won't be long enough for taking action shots of dogs (it's an excellent starting point if you're interested in portraits though). I would look into something like a Sigma 70-300, at around £100 as long as the light is good, you should be fine.

DSLR photography is a horribly expensive hobby and the right kit is only a small part of it, but it really does make life easier!

Chris

I suppose it depends on what sort of action shots you mean, is it going to be you and your dog close up etc or will it be more like the dog agility practices etc as this will influence the choice of lens quite a bit

As for cameras, the ones chris mentioned or if you fancy a nikon a D40/60 should do perfectly

ANY dslr will be good for taking action shots, its not really the body which will enable really good action shots, its more to do with the lens you are using.

Get a decent zoom lens, something between the 50 - 300mm range, with image stablisation if you can afford it.

The 50mm prime is all very well, and its fast wide open but you'll get a very narrow DOF so it wont be good for action shots IMO. Narrow the apeture and its not so fast. Youre also totally restricted in focal length which wont be long enough, I can guarantee, as when I take action shots of my dog I need to use my 55-250 when he's running about. It'll be ok for portraits though.

What sort of action shots are we talking about?

I'm with chris321 on this one, I started out with the 350D and the Sigma 70-300, not a great combo but will work in good lighting, with some CF cards this should be possible for 300 quid.

You may even get the 18-55mm kit lens thrown in with the 350D :)

The 55-250 IS Canon lens is a good lens and matched with a 300 / 350 / 400 body and 18-55 lens you should have all areas covered for around / slightly more than your budget and is a great starting point. (y)

when choosing a body for action its best to get one with a good frame rate if you ahve that choice. otherwise as said above. you probably need to worry about the lens more:)

I would say a used 350d for about £150 and if possible the 85mm 1.8 cause it's one of the best action lens out there and a used one goes about £240. about £100 more than your budget but you'll get one of the best action lens available.

Back