Camera Grips, Love'em but are they not a rippoff?

Raymond Lin

I am Groot
Name
Raymond
Edit My Images
No
I just got my BG-E6 rip for my 5Dii, love how it feels, and compared to my last grip for the 30D (which works for the 40D and 50D I believe), were made of plastic, the 5dii grip is constructed out of metal. very glad about that, and it also have an AF-ON button.

But.....aside from the material change, and the extra button, it is £200 !!! (the 30D one was £100) Yet it doesn't have wifi (i know there is a better MORE expensive grip with Wifi), but for £200, why couldn't they squeeze in Wifi feature? You can get a Netbook for £200 with wifi in it, surely its not that more difficult or that much more expensive to add it in?

oo wifi grip for a 5Dmk2? that sounds interesting, have you got any more details?

As for its usefulness, I love the grip on my 400D as it feels better to take portrait pictures so i'll get one for the 5Dmk2 as well.

The other thing is I believe you can use a canon battery and 3rd party battery at the same time and get a battery level indication.

I agree - to me they are a complete rip off. Problem is that the manufacturers know that we will need and buy them and subsequently, continue to maximise the profit from them - as does every other commercial company I'm afraid.

oo wifi grip for a 5Dmk2? that sounds interesting, have you got any more details?

As for its usefulness, I love the grip on my 400D as it feels better to take portrait pictures so i'll get one for the 5Dmk2 as well.

The other thing is I believe you can use a canon battery and 3rd party battery at the same time and get a battery level indication.

The WFT-E4, it's £900........

I've heard that, but even on ebay they want £30 for a 3rd party battery !

I agree - to me they are a complete rip off. Problem is that the manufacturers know that we will need and buy them and subsequently, continue to maximise the profit from them - as does every other commercial company I'm afraid.

we don't actually need them - for some they are a nice to have

I got a 3rd party grip from China for my D700. Total cost £58, that included postage and a battery. I cant fault it.

I must confess that I love my grips, the reason is that I hate having half my hand hanging off the bottom of the camera, so for this reason they are a must for me.

Some interesting views on grips here. I am thinking about adding a grip to my D90 with a view to getting better balance with longer lenses and using the SB600, as well as increased battery life. Anyone done something similar?

Fungus

In another window I am currently looking at Link Delight's stuff !

I have been reading reviews and Link Delight grips get really good reviews, most say that they are just as good as the genuine article. The prices below include postage but the item MAY be stopped on route into the UK by customs and you may be hit for VAT.

D300/D700 grip with BL3 adapter £51.99
D300/D700 grip with 2 batteries and BL3 adapter £69.99
D300/D700 deluxe grip with 2 batteries and BL3 adapter £101.99 (this includes a tray to take both batteries giving you 3X normal power plus IR remote control plus timer)

They are made of high impact plastic with metal inside for strength rather than the Nikon one with is made of the same material as the camera but they are quarter of the price and include extras which are further cost options. The normal Nikon grip does not include a BL3 adapter which sells for about £40 extra!!

They also sell Canon ones!

Link Delights Shop on ebay

Some interesting views on grips here. I am thinking about adding a grip to my D90 with a view to getting better balance with longer lenses and using the SB600, as well as increased battery life. Anyone done something similar?

Fungus

I always use my D80 with the grip on it for the very reasons that you state, not only do you get better battery life between recharges but when using it with a SB600/800/900 and a sizeable lens then I think it feels a lot 'sturdier' in my hands with the MB-D80 on.

In another window I am currently looking at Link Delight's stuff !

I have been reading reviews and Link Delight grips get really good reviews, most say that they are just as good as the genuine article. The prices below include postage but the item MAY be stopped on route into the UK by customs and you may be hit for VAT.

D300/D700 grip with BL3 adapter £51.99
D300/D700 grip with 2 batteries and BL3 adapter £69.99
D300/D700 deluxe grip with 2 batteries and BL3 adapter £101.99 (this includes a tray to take both batteries giving you 3X normal power plus IR remote control plus timer)

They are made of high impact plastic with metal inside for strength rather than the Nikon one with is made of the same material as the camera but they are quarter of the price and include extras which are further cost options. The normal Nikon grip does not include a BL3 adapter which sells for about £40 extra!!

They also sell Canon ones!

Link Delights Shop on ebay

Ta, I will have a look. I've been looking for a used Nikon MB-D80 but they are selling at high prices on certain auction sites.

Fungus

I always use my D80 with the grip on it for the very reasons that you state, not only do you get better battery life between recharges but when using it with a SB600/800/900 and a sizeable lens then I think it feels a lot 'sturdier' in my hands with the MB-D80 on.

I had a grip on my D70s and felt the balance was better when using the 70-300mm with the added benefit of much longer battery life. So, would think that it is a useful buy for my D90 which is a slightly smaller body.

Ta, Fungus

The travor I got for my K10D is great value. At £30 delivered it offers all the functionality except for weather sealing and of course build quality is shabby. Still very good.
I had the D-BG2 original but for such poor ergonomics, its not worth the money.

Back