Camera Uprade - Which one?

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I currently shoot with a Canon 450D, which I have had since December 2008. I mainly use a 17-55, 10-22 and a nifty-fifty. I am happy with the results of the camera/lens combination but feel that after 6 years it’s time to invest in a new body.

Earlier this year I was considering upgrading to either a 60D, 7D or waiting for the 70d to be released (which has been with us for some time).

Since then though the 7D mkII has been released which looks very impressive from what I have read/seen so far. Although it has a considerable price difference over the others listed above.

I occasionally shoot wildlife but in the main it is landscapes and travel photography.

I have recently been thinking about going full frame. I know the 6D has been out for a couple of years now but the current prices with Panamoz and the like make this a very attractive option.

I know two of my lenses would not be compatible with a 6D but I would be happy to sell them on if need be and source others. The s/h lenses that I have bought on here have always been in excellent condition at a fraction of the new price so certainly go down that route again.

If you’re still with me, thanks for reading!! I am now considering 7D, 70D, 7D mkII or 6D. I know each will have pros and cons so all input would be much appreciated. If you feel I am overlooking another option please feel free to suggest another model.

Cheers

Stuart

If you can afford it full frame will suit your shooting but seriously consider a swap to nikon as you will essentially be buying all new glass so now might be the time to bag a sony sensor as they seem to be outstanding at the minute.

Much as I love my 7D2, if you are mainly doing landscapes the I would recommend the 6D.

Alex, that is certainly something that I would consider. I have been looking at the Nikon alternatives and the nearest to a 6D I believe is D610. Plenty for consideration there!!

Sue, thanks for your input. It's a difficult choice and I want to make sure I pick the right one. Landscapes are primarily a subject of interest to me. I'm just not sure whether I would like to have the flexibility of the 7D2 for other areas - sports (airshows) and wildlife. I certainly like the idea of the 6D for landscape work.

Cheers Al, I'm having a look at the 'for sale' section now to see what's about. Do you think a used 5D mkII is a better option that a new 6D?

Have read of this post:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...h-one-would-suit-me-best.567912/#post-6584017

I was looking at similar body's, I went with 70d in the end at £603 new. I could not stretch my funds for the 7dmkii the extra £700 was too much for my bank balance this year. I think the 70d will be nice step up from the 50d I had. I think my long term aim might be to get 5dmkiii so I if change any lens I will keep this in mind. I think my next lens swap will be the 70-200 F4 IS for a 70-200 F2.8 IS Mkii. But I will see how I get on with the 70D, fingers crossed it will work out.

If landscapes are your thing FF might be the way to go. Crops are normally considered better for wildlife and sports.

Last edited:
Thanks Tristian, that's excellent - plenty to read an think about there and really helpful. I was of the same thinking in relation to the 7D mkII price in relation to the 70D.

I've got alot the think about as I still like the look of the 6D too and then there is always a case for changing to Nikon - the options are endless!!

For travel and landscapes Canon 6D and 24-105. You'd have to sell your 17-55 and 10-22, but you could then buy a 17-40/16-35.

If you are considering changing brands, I would say the new Nikon D750 should be high on your list.

what's your budget? I think if I were in your shoes I might narrow the choice to 70D, 6D or 7DMkii. I don't think I would go for the 5dmkii or 7D. How much wildlife photography are you looking at doing? and what's is your subject?

For landscapes and travel photography you don't need high FPS or advanced af system.

Cheers Simon, that's certainly an option I'm looking at. I have also been having a look at the D610.

Tristian, I haven't set a budget necessarily, the 70D and 6D are around the same figure (give or take a £100 or so) but I know the 7D mkII is quite a bit more and perhaps that will be a factor once I have tested them all in-store. When I get a chance I'm going to go and have a look to see how they feel.

Sorry Tristian, I forgot to answer your other question about subjects. I have been to a few airshows over the years and taken wildlife pictures when on safari in Kenya and Sri Lanka.

Thinking about it I could probably keep my 450d for this purpose. I have always been happy with the pictures I have taken with my 450d & Sigma 120-400 combo. However, I have found that more and more I am enjoying landscape photography. Maybe, with this in mind FF could be the way forward.

Back