Camera weight ?

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
How important is the weight of a camera? For me anyway I prefer a heavy camera so I can keep it more steady when hand held. Of course with a heavy camera I find it easier with a lens suitable to balance the weight. So does the weight of a camera and lens make any difference when choosing them.

The short answer is no !

You should be choosing a camera based on what subject(s) you want to be shooting. A heavy or lightweight camera has no bearing on keeping it steady. it's the shutter speed that determins a steady 'wobble free' exposure' - or a tripod.

The short answer is no !

You should be choosing a camera based on what subject(s) you want to be shooting. A heavy or lightweight camera has no bearing on keeping it steady. it's the shutter speed that determins a steady 'wobble free' exposure' - or a tripod.

In addition define heavy, thats very subjective.

Matters to me, poor old back and neck have really appreciated the much lighter Fuji combo

I just packed a bag for 5 days away, a couple of cameras, 4 small lenses and a tripod.......25kg....:hungover:

Weight doesn't seem that important until somebody imposes a weight restriction, then you have to rationalise......I dunno where I'm gonna lose 5kg without dumping a body..

I found weight matters when I started trying to carry a full frame DSLR with fast zoom, and a small, tired child round all day. Changing to a fast prime reduced the amount of aching in my shoulders and battering from the camera swinging into my body, but not as much as when I bought a smaller camera to take with me on family days out.

Weight is one of the reasons I haven't gone full frame. The cameras are usually a lot bigger and heavier. When you're lugging it around for 15 miles a day on top of camping equipment weight is very important!

When will Nikon and Canon realise this and release smaller, lighter full frame cameras!

How important is the weight of a camera? For me anyway I prefer a heavy camera so I can keep it more steady when hand held. Of course with a heavy camera I find it easier with a lens suitable to balance the weight. So does the weight of a camera and lens make any difference when choosing them.
It shouldn't, because it's easy to add weight when you want it heavier, but impossible to subtract weight when you want it lighter.

Lower weight has a lot of real advantages, mostly, though also some drawbacks. But smaller size, and the current obsession with ever smaller CSC type cameras is bad IMHO. Smaller size is great, right up to the time you actually want to use the thing.

[QUOTES]smaller size is great, right up to the time you actually want to use the thing.[/QUOTE]

Usually agree with what you say, but not on this one, since buying a couple of Fuji's they have seen a lot of use due to their lighter weight and portability.

Don't find using them a problem at all and no smaller than a SLR, people managed to use them perfectly well for years

Usually agree with what you say, but not on this one, since buying a couple of Fuji's they have seen a lot of use due to their lighter weight and portability.

Don't find using them a problem at all and no smaller than a SLR, people managed to use them perfectly well for years

I think we probably do still agree :) I wouldn't call most of the Fujis that small, XT-1 is just about perfect for a serious camera I think - at least for my smallish hands. I'm thinking more of the smaller Sony and Samsung etc CSCs that are like trying to take pictures with a matchbox, you have to hold them like drinking from a posh china cup, pressing buttons by mistake and hard to keep steady.

But size doesn't make that much difference when carrying an outfit - it only makes a difference of an inch or two to the size of the bag. But the weight, when that goes up a couple of kilos it's a PITA.

Last edited:
Lower weight has a lot of real advantages, mostly, though also some drawbacks. But smaller size, and the current obsession with ever smaller CSC type cameras is bad IMHO. Smaller size is great, right up to the time you actually want to use the thing.

Surely it depends how it's designed and what lens you mount?

The GM5, for example, would I imagine be very nice when fitted with a nice prime lens. The smallest digital cameras I have are even smaller than a GM5 and are sub credit card in footprint but they present no great usage challenge to me. They'd be less good with a Canon 200mm f2.9L mounted no doubt.

I like smaller lighter cameras that are more in line with what 35mm film cameras used to be like.

I choose my gear by features and image quality and the big and "heavy" ones just happen to be the perfect match and are very comfortable to hold in hand. Heavy should be a definition of fully loaded Hassy or 1DX with 800mm prime. Your average dSLR is lighter than a decent hammer.

The really light ones have some unique uses such as on drones, rigged to dangerous and small objects / in tight spaces etc. Believe me this obsession will go away in the next few years.

I think we probably do still agree :) I wouldn't call most of the Fujis that small, XT-1 is just about perfect for a serious camera I think - at least for my smallish hands. I'm thinking more of the smaller Sony and Samsung etc CSCs that are like trying to take pictures with a matchbox, you have to hold them like drinking from a posh china cup, pressing buttons by mistake and hard to keep steady.

But size doesn't make that much difference when carrying an outfit - it only makes a difference of an inch or two to the size of the bag. But the weight, when that goes up a couple of kilos it's a PITA.

Normal service has been resumed :)

It has been a real pleasure to able to carry a X-T1, 18-55mm and 14mm plus bits in my everyday rucksack, have to admit lugging a 5D MKII and lenses around was becoming a chore. Also means I am more likely to take a camera with me everywhere, did carry an old Powershot around, but the Fuji is much better in all respects.

Not really seen the smaller cameras you mention in the flesh, but if they are becoming compact size can imagine form over function is playing a part.

Only part of my kit that needs addressing now is the tripod/head, unfortunately going lighter and smaller isn't great for stability. Not sure there is an answer, have got a series 1 Gitzo and small Photo Clam head, but the series 3 and Markins head is still superior even with the small Fuji looking tiny sat atop of it

I just packed a bag for 5 days away, a couple of cameras, 4 small lenses and a tripod.......25kg....:hungover:

Weight doesn't seem that important until somebody imposes a weight restriction, then you have to rationalise......I dunno where I'm gonna lose 5kg without dumping a body..

What cameras and lenses did you pack?

I actually like the solid, heavier feel of camera's like D200 and lately D800. I must admit that any long distance trekking may change my view but as of now I much prefer a 'heavier' camera.

I actually like the solid, heavier feel of camera's like D200 and lately D800. I must admit that any long distance trekking may change my view but as of now I much prefer a 'heavier' camera.

Not picking on you :D just using this point to raise a little question...

When did people start preferring heavy DSLR's?

Every single film SLR I've ever had was a fraction of the weight of my DSLR's and I don't remember anyone complaining that 35mm SLR's were plastic toys and needed to be heavier.

In film days was there such a wide diversity of weights? I've still got my EOS 600 and it feels like a toy these days. I'm another who finds a heavier camera/lens combo easier to hold steadier than some of the smaller stuff.

Last edited:
Hmmm. But did anyone say that at the time?

TBH I just don't get it and I've never liked the size and weight of a DSLR and lens, lenses have got heavier too. In exasperation I've gone mirrorless and I'm much happier with the size and weight of the body and lens combo now, much closer to that of 35mm cameras.

I don't know why I prefer a big camera/lens combo. I'm not talking 500mm here but say 70-200 f2.8 on a 1DX. I just seem to be able wrap my hands and fingers around it to form a more stable base than with smaller bodies

There's something reassuring about a bit of weight...lol
What cameras and lenses did you pack?

Mamiya 6
50mm
75mm
150mm

Bronica EC
50mm
a few filters, shutter release, film, all misc bits/bats that don't weigh anything much.

Generic alu Manfrotto.....that's it

The baggage limit is 2 bags no more than 20kg each, the reason I think I might have to leave a body is my suitcase weighs in at 30kg, so it don't matter which way ya cut it, gotta lose 10kg of clothes and 5kg of cameras.
No doubt if I wanted my f100 and Nikon stuff too, I'd have to shoot nekid ba mi superman y fronts.

Mamiya 6
50mm
75mm
150mm

Bronica EC
50mm
a few filters, shutter release, film, all misc bits/bats that don't weigh anything much.

The baggage limit is 2 bags no more than 20kg each, the reason I think I might have to leave a body is my suitcase weighs in at 30kg, so it don't matter which way ya cut it, gotta lose 10kg of clothes and 5kg of cameras.
No doubt if I wanted my f100 and Nikon stuff too, I'd have to shoot nekid ba mi superman y fronts.

You never thought about going digital?

You never thought about going digital?
I was digital first pretty much, but even if I was digital, could it really be kept under 20kg ?

I mean weight isn't that important when you choose to carry what you want, its your own fault and you can't be moanin about it, but when somebody else chooses what you carry based on weight.....its a bummer.

I used to like a good weight to my cameras,but now days due to ill health it has to be lighter,so did the swap from DSLR to mirrorless :)

I was digital first pretty much, but even if I was digital, could it really be kept under 20kg ?

I mean weight isn't that important when you choose to carry what you want, its your own fault and you can't be moanin about it, but when somebody else chooses what you carry based on weight.....its a bummer.

Both of those cameras and those lenses are about 4.5kgs, where is the rest of the weight coming from?

ROFL......

been reading the lb scale.......duh !

The penny didn't drop till I weighed my film at 2.5kg

two and a half kilos of............film ????

lol........:exit:

oh well, that's me transport problems sorted out, might even take a string vest now

The weight of the camera doesn't bother me but I much prefer using my D3 as the size is much more comfortable for me to handle, Saying that I just get use to the weight after time, for the past week I been carrying 20/25kg around with me for a trip down south for example

I prefer the D3/D3S/D4/D4S style and weight as personally I find it easier in my hands, I've used smaller (D800) but it took some getting used to.
The downside of course is the weight - tomorrow I'm out with the D4S, 300-800 and a big tripod and the weight does take its toll after a while!

For me weight never used to be an issue and I used to carry a huge Billingham bag with a couple of Nikon F4 body's and a number of lenses from 18mm through to long telephoto zooms and a big mirror lens and would often add a couple of Hasselblads and a few lenses as well.

Like I said the weight was never an issue, untill one day I rupchured a couple of discs lugging it about on one shoulder for too long. That injury put paid to my Wedding Photography Business.

Nowadays I am more than happy to be using m4/3 Cameras as the weight and back saving is enormous.

Look after your knees and back, you will miss them when they are gone ;)

Paul

True. I'm thinking more something like the Canon 400/500/600D size. Not quite as comfy to hold as larger cameras but fine with big lenses and still plenty of grip to hold on to (even with high hands). Also have a Nikon AW1 and I wouldn't want to put a large lens on that...

The converse is the D800 and 5dIII, just too big for anything but shooting from the back of a car really. my camera gear almost doubles my wild camping weight as it is!

Hmmm. But did anyone say that at the time?

TBH I just don't get it and I've never liked the size and weight of a DSLR and lens, lenses have got heavier too. In exasperation I've gone mirrorless and I'm much happier with the size and weight of the body and lens combo now, much closer to that of 35mm cameras.

While I've never shot film SLRs I've seen the massive disparity in weight of new and old lenses. The short primes seem to be major culprits of this. Older ones weighed 200-300g, newer versions with exactly the same focal length and aperture suddenly double or even triple in weight and size!

I really like the idea of a mirror less but just can't abide the idea of an EVF... Even the OM-D ones are just horrid.

Last edited:

Mamiya 6
50mm
75mm
150mm

Bronica EC
50mm

You doing a 6 month trip to the Arctic?! :LOL:

EDIT: Just read the next post...! :LOL:

Weight matters a lot to me now. Two years ago, my camera bag was around 18-20 kg, now, it's more around 4-5 kg. My back is happy. :)

Back