cameras for left handers

Do you not think it is an advantage using your dominant hand to control the movement of the camera and the zoom of the lens? (posted by a lefty!!)

Not sure. As you can probably tell from my avatar image, I am a guitarist. I am right handed - so why does my left hand do all the tricky twiddly bits on the fretboard?

Steve.

Another lefty here, right eye shooter, never even considered a 'reversed' left handed camera - would rather have my more co-ordinated hand available for manual focus duties!

to be honest its all down to how you learn it..

for example im left handed for writing (mums left handed i guess she taught me) but for everything else (scissors, mouse, throwing, etc etc..) i use my right hand because thats how ive been taught by others or how its been laid out so thats what ive used.

:plus1:

i am left handed

i have a Nikon D70, D80 and D300 and i using them fine....

its all about practice

Just to add to the melee I'm left handed and left eye dominant but don't really have a problem using normal cameras.. only problem is getting your nose squashed against the screen.

Kudos to all the rifle / shotgun shooters on here - there seem to be a lot of people who enjoy this type of shooting and photography..

What an absorbing thread. Some things you never really think about!

I am also full of admiration for those with the use of only one hand. I feel a bit ignorant for not knowing how I'd manage with a DSLR.

Anyway. Right hander here. Anti-clockwise for portraits, left eye for shooting with a camera, right eye for shooting with a rifle (many moons ago now!).

And to add more options to the mix, I wear a watch on my right hand! Right hand for pints.

I have also wondered why left handed twiddly bits on the guitar were relatively easy. I guess that's practise. My brother is a lefty, and he does pretty much everything apart from write, right handed.

!

-H

well i worked it out :LOL: use my left eye and use right hand to adjust controls and fire shutted. Support with left hand unless changing body quickly when i shoot one handed with my right hand. I rotate ACW as i look at the camera

I am a lefty

but holding the normal camera feels natural to me
Do you do everything left handed?

Reason I ask is because I only write left handed - I throw balls right handed for example - if I throw them from my left hand it feels strange!!

Maybe I'm not a true lefty:crying:

Im left handed and left eyed - doesnt really matter - possibly being left handed you become more adaptable and semi-ambidextrous - ie computor mice - tend to be comfortable using with either hand

Uncle Ken has an interesting story about a left-handed prototype of the Nikon F100 which can be seen on his home page:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm#lefty

As far as I can tell, Nikon did actually make a few prototype lefty F100s.

However... what gets the internet conspiracy theorists all excited is the second shot of his lefty setup here. See anything strange about it?

How about the watch face which is the correct way up to the observer... therefore upside down for Ken? And note the buttons on the shirt work the opposite way to normal for a man's shirt. Very odd...

He uses that image on his home page too: http://www.kenrockwell.com/

But look. In the image to the right where he's holding his son, the watch is now on his left arm despite saying this in the text: Yes, I also wear my watch on my right arm and if you think I'm kidding just click the image on my Contact page for the original hi-rez film scan where you can see for yourself that it's not just a flipped negative.

Steve.

Im a Righty and use my left eye. it just feels natural. And if i use my right eye i tend to change the AF point with my nose :LOL:

Genuine Lefty here... ;)

With just two major exceptions... :shrug: ...two handed sports... :eek: ...and photography... (y)

As for eyes... :thinking: ...I have two and use them both most of the time... :cautious: ...it's a forces thing to keep both eyes open even when shooting and old habits and all that so I always have both open when using a camera... :naughty:

Yes, I also wear my watch on my right arm and if you think I'm kidding just click the image on my Contact page for the original hi-rez film scan where you can see for yourself that it's not just a flipped negative.

And yes I do too and always have done... ;) ...it would be weird not to... :D

Shelley Snapshot said:
I throw balls right handed for example - if I throw them from my left hand it feels strange!!

Don't be silly Shelley... :cautious: ...EVERYONE knows girls cannot throw balls... :naughty:

08.gif

I remember reading that the right side of the brain controls the left side of your body, and vice versa. It would be interesting to see what percentage of photographers are right handed & right eyed, left handed left eyed. It would be easy to conclude that most people would be dominant down one side because the body is wired up that way, but once the connections are made in the brain and then get stronger with practice, I don't see any reason why that theory would go out of the window because we are all forced to use the camera right handed.

Interesting!!

Back