Can the Nikon D90 still cut it?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to get back into photography and going to get myself a dSLR again. I had a Nikon D300 and D7000 in the past, the D300 wasn't right for me but I got on alot better with the D7000. But looking to buy second hand and the D90 seem good bargains but was wondering are they still a good camera or am I better off investing slightly more and getting the D7000 instead.

How good the images are is determined by you, not the camera. There's nothing wrong with the D90. High ISO noise shows it's age these days, and the AF isn't exactly state of the art, but it's a good camera. I'd say go for it.. more money to spend on lenses :)

I wouldn't say the D7000s noise performance is that much better than that of the D90s to be honest having owned both. The D7100 is probably a different story however.

The D90 is a great solid camera :) and for how much you can get them for now - they are very good IMO.

It depends what you didn't like about the D300. You do know they share a sensor, don't you?

If like most of us your budget is limited then spend less on the camera body and more on the lenses. The D90 is an excellent camera.

It depends what you didn't like about the D300. You do know they share a sensor, don't you?

It was more the size and weight of the D300 that put me off, I always found the D7000 felt more comfortable to hold and from what I can find the D90 looks to be the same size and hopefully similar ergonomics.

I am leaning more towards the D90 as leaves me more money for better glass and also with time and effort it can still produce great images, I think I would only ever notice the differences if I took up pixel peeping.

The D7k is a stop better, but the D90 is a better camera IMHO. I back button focus and the ergonomics are better on the D90.

The RAW buffer is terrible on the D7k too.

Also, for what it's worth, I'd get the best body I can afford. Since selling my D700's I've not been satisfied with any downgrade I've made.

I was very lucky to have the opportunity to upgrade from my old D90. But if I'd not had the chance I'd still be happy using it, no bother. It's not the best at higher ISO, and I prefer chunkier body. But I shot gigs at 3200 with the D90, and though they needed some clean up in post, but they were perfectly usable. Great camera for the price used today.

I've only just sold my D90. Pair it with good lenses and it's stellar.

It's a fantastic camera, capable of great images. Some if my fave pics are with the D90 (I have a d800 and sony rx100)

Shaheed

unless you are shooting in very low light the D90 is a great camera, as David said above, spend the money on lenses. My son wanted his first DSLR so I picked up an old D40 (on here) and a cheap 35mm prime - the image quality is great and all he needs for the type of pics he likes to take. I'm not suggesting you get a D40, but in the right hands pretty much any camera will take great shots.

Last edited:
Back