Beginner Can you help me to improve, please?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. I have recently started using a Nikon D3100 after moving on from a Panasonic Lumix FZ45. The problem is I'm still using P mode as I can't work the settings out. I'm going on a morning course which teaches basic settings etc shortly, so that should help. In the meantime, could anyone please help me with how to improve? I don't think these shots are very sharp - and they are the best out of the 420 I took today :(. I have cropped them but not done any other editing (I don't know how to yet!) Any advice/help would be gratefully received. This is the first time I've posted any photos as I know I can't take good ones yet, but I really do want to improve. View attachment 4121 View attachment 4122 View attachment 4123 View attachment 4124 View attachment 4121 View attachment 4121 View attachment 4122 View attachment 4123 View attachment 4124 Thank you.

next time your out change your white balance (WB) to cloudy (little pic of a cloud) you'll see the differance imediately hth mike.

I don't know where to start, there's a shed load of knowledge on this forum and we can help you, but we need to start with basics. As you say, you have duplicated all the shots, but never mind. What I would suggest is that you concentrate on one picture at a time, the robin is a good one to choose from this set. Post up the original without any cropping or anything, then post your cropped version (as you already have), and include all the settings from the camera. Even though you are using 'P', you will have the aperture, shutter speed, iso etc. available from your original picture. You will need to change your 'Edit My Images' setting on the forum to yes so that we can help you more.
I am unsure that the softness is due to cropping, it does look more like a focussing issue to me. When you take this type of picture, you need to use the central AF point and focus on the eye of the bird. Usually a wide aperture (f4 - f5.6) is used depending on the lens, but you need to move away from 'P', I would initially suggest AV (Aperture priority) I am unsure what terminology Nikon use, set your iso to say 400 to start with, then let the camera make the other decisions. This is a good starting point, I don't want to go too detailed yet so if your able to give that a try, post up the results and lets take it from there.
Can you tell us what editing software you have access to.

i had that lens when i used nikon and it shoots well above its price range ,,trev has made some sensible suggestions if you follow that for starters we can help

Hi, i cant really help to much with the pics, im sure the guys above will give you a lot of help, but just thought as i have just gone through the basic learning curve with new setting and such on a 5100 i might be able to offer some basic help.

I will post some good sites to get to grips with your camera when on the main comp.

But for me i found it a great help just to stick with aperture (A) or shutter (s) modes in the beginning, i just used the mode i felt was right, im not saying i know a great deal, but it did help me a lot. i found it easier to work out what i was doing wrong if i only had a set amount of settings to think about.

I found that if i put it in Aperture, got roughly the right zoom/composition, take some shots, adjust the aperture and same again.

hope this helps. (sorry if you all ready know this :) )

Thank you for all of your help. I'll certainly try what you suggested. I'll have a look through my original photos tomorrow and upload it for editing. I have photoshop, corel photo pro x2 and whatever nikon software came with the camera. I'll also try switching modes and to cloudy instead of AWB. With my other camera it was easy as all the settings were there but now I'm struggling with learning the basics. Hopefully the upcoming lesson/workshop will help as well as advice from people here.

Getting closer is going to be the answer to cropping your shots, or a longer lens. Since they seem to be focused on your feeders, moving your feeders might be an option. I set up a blind made from an old sheet in my conservatory to enable shooting in comfort. :)

conservatoryhide.jpg

Back