Canary Wharf - Tripods

Edit My Images
Yes
Just a quick one, from memory Canary Wharf don't like tripods being used on their estate, I've used one in the evening when it's dark and not had an issue, is this normal or was I lucky? Do they bother enforcing the no tripod rule any more?

I have a couple of day time shots I have in mind...

I think that you'll last about 15 seconds during business hours if you try that.

Canary Wharf Photography info page

You do not necessarily require a permit if:

• You are taking the images for solely amateur purposes and do not intend to reproduce them for media, sale or commercial benefit (for example you are a tourist, hobbyist or student);
  • your equipment is minimal (for example, nothing more than a camera and stationary tripod); and
  • you are not causing any disruption, harm or potential harm to people, property or yourself; and
  • you are outdoors; and

Im not say they wont be all over you but it says so in thier own rules. Outside of 8am-6pm should be ok, setting up in a walkway when its heaving is asking for trouble regardless of it being private property or public

I have been questioned in the past just for using a camera let alone a tripod.
I have normally been polite but in my head I really want to tell them to sod off.

• You are taking the images for solely amateur purposes and do not intend to reproduce them for media, sale or commercial benefit (for example you are a tourist, hobbyist or student);
  • your equipment is minimal (for example, nothing more than a camera and stationary tripod); and
  • you are not causing any disruption, harm or potential harm to people, property or yourself; and
  • you are outdoors; and

That'll do for me.

I generally don't hang around anywhere, I'll take the photo I'm after and move on, so I'd probably be gone by the time anyone noticed I was there.

This is quite a wide set of conditions:

You will require a permit for filming or photography on the Canary Wharf Estate if:

• The filming and photography is for professional use, sale, commercial gain or media reproduction including social media; and/or
  • you will potentially cause disruption or harm to people or property on the Canary Wharf Estate; and/or
  • you are filming/photographing indoors in any of the common areas in the buildings (eg lobbies or shopping malls); and/or
  • you are filming/photographing building entrances, shop fronts or any of the security arrangements in place.
I'd imagine it is quite hard to take photos without some kind of security arrangement in place (e.g. discreet CCTV cameras)

When I worked at Canary Wharf, I had zero problems around taking pictures.

To be fair, I was dressed in a business suit (a job requirement) and only carried one, smallish, camera at a time. I think that if you behave politely and look like you have a right to be there, security just leaves you in peace - they have plenty of other things to worry about.

Old cranes at Canary Wharf SP570UZ 7130005.JPG

Last edited:

• you are outdoors; and
The potential problem is that while the second clause does allow tripods, the third means it is up to the individual security guard to determine if they think you may be causing 'disruption' - so you might be lucky, or you might just run into one that's feeling a bit grumpy!

Armed with a printout of the page above, I'd try approaching a security guy and asking him politely if it would be possible and where would be the best place so I wasn't in the way. As Faldrax says, you might be lucky (and you catch far more flies with honey than with vinegar!)

I used to work there and would often see Security acosting people with cameras, usually around the "clocks" area in front of One Canada Square. The only exception to this was during the Winter Lights festival where everyone was taking photos!

I used to work there and would often see Security acosting people with cameras, usually around the "clocks" area in front of One Canada Square. The only exception to this was during the Winter Lights festival where everyone was taking photos!
That's interesting.

As I wrote above, I never had problems with photography in the area but I don't make a fuss about picture taking - just grab and move on...

Underside of Canary Wharf Dock bridge 40D.JPG

Back