Canon 16-35mm F2.8 or Canon 24mm F1.4 I or II

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Looking to move away from wildlife into landscapes and I was wondering which of the above 3 lenses i sould consider buying.

I like the thought of the 24mm for lowlight shots but I also like the zoom range of the 16-35mm.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

On what camera?
Just seen. Is it a 5D?
I would personally go 16-35 just to have that extra room. But there is nothing wrong with 24mm for landscape.
You don't really need such a fast lens as shooting landscape doesn't call for it, so you could save a few pennies and go for the 17-40.

Last edited:
On what camera?
Just seen. Is it a 5D?
I would personally go 16-35 just to have that extra room. But there is nothing wrong with 24mm for landscape.
You don't really need such a fast lens as shooting landscape doesn't call for it, so you could save a few pennies and go for the 17-40.

Thanks for your reply Gary,

I have a 5d and a 7d.

I'm really only buying it for low light and nightscapes, I just recently sold my 17-40 in favour of the 16-35mm upgrade.

My thinking was that it gives me an extra stop of light when using ND Grads is it will allow me to be a little more flexable.

Don't think I would just want the 24mm without the flexibility of a zoom like the 17-40mm, been caught out more than once with a fixed focal length and not always possible to move position sufficiently

The 24mm II L is very nice, luckily for me that my daughter has one I can borrow, but I use a 17-40mm most of the time. Thought about the 16-35mm once or twice, but seems a lot to pay for a gain of one stop and minimal quality improvement.

The 24 1.4 replaced my 17-40. Having a 1.4 aperture in a wide angle is a really special thing - you can get a very different look from 24mm at 1.4 wide open, though it's unlikely you'd do that for landscapes (though you can get some quite interesting stuff when landscaping at 1.4.

So my recommendation would be for the 24 1.4 as it'll sort your landscapes but also do some really interesting looking portraits and other stuff.

Back