Canon 16-35mm L F4

Name
Marie
Edit My Images
No
Anyone here bought this lens?
I'm wondering if its really worth upgrading from 17-40 L
I've read some online reviews but would appreciate opinions from people on here.

Think how much you dislike 17-40... the rest should follow naturally. A couple of print sales will cover the price difference, so why not?

I am actually putting an order from HDEW today.
edit: now ordered. Can't wait

Last edited:
I don't dislike the 17-40, I think it has its use on FF
I'm just wondering how much of a difference the image quality is on the 16-35 especially in the corners and with CA

photozone.de has a lot of information about canon glass performance. To me the difference looks huge, partly because 17-40 has terrible field curvature and very weak corner performance. It was designed for film users that hardly ever print larger than 8x10; while 8x10 also negates the corner problem.

I bought one just over a week ago. I've only done a couple of test shots, but am impressed with the sharpness, build quality and feel, and it's not too heavy.. The IS is so quiet I thought it wasn't working, until I put my ear close to it. I'm looking forward to using it when I go to the Lakes next Saturday.

Canon 16-35/4 IS advantages are edge and corner sharpness at lower f/numbers over the 17-40/4, plus IS that takes it deep into normal tripod territory (y)

17-40/4 does not have any problems with field curvature, and actually very few lenses do in practise. It's much more a comment from lens testers that use small, flat test targets only six feet across (or less) that have to be shot at very close distance with wide-angles, like 1m or so. Totally unrealistic. The flaw is in their test procedures, not the lens. My own test target for wide-angles is 30ft across, and edge readings are individually focused :)

So if using a tripod and @F11 or so am I going to gain any advantage with the 16-35?

So if using a tripod and @F11 or so am I going to gain any advantage with the 16-35?

Honestly, probably not. The advantages of the 16-35/4 are at lower f/numbers, plus IS of course, but that's no help on a tripod. By f/11, all lenses have passed their sharpness peak in the centre, usually around f/5.6 and are diffraction limited thereafter. At f/11 the edges and corners of both the 17-40/4 and 16-35/4 are at a similar level.

I got one some months back to replace my 17-40 and primarily to use on my infra red bodies (I use Liveview at 10x to focus and the IS is a huge benefit). IR does tend to highlight softness more than regular shooting and the 16-35 is much better in the corners (FF) than the 17-40 when shooting at f/5.6-f/8 but the difference diminishes as you get to smaller aperture settings.

Bob

I should have added.....
Flare seems to be a bigger problem with the 16-35 than it was with the 17-40......it very definitely doesn't like having the sun on the front element even if it's not quite in the frame.

Bob

Ok thanks folks.
I think I'll hold off until after the new year and reconsider.

The 16-35 (UK version) now comes in at £760 on amazon with the canon cashback so I've decided to go ahead and buy it.

The 16-35 (UK version) now comes in at £760 on amazon with the canon cashback so I've decided to go ahead and buy it.

Sweet (y)

Since you've still got the 17-40, at least for now, be interested to know how they compare :)

Ha I put it in the classifieds and it sold in 40 mins :D

LOL (y)

TP classifieds are brilliant. I once sold a tripod head in seconds. Posted the ad, noticed a typo, and when I'd corrected it, the head had already sold!

Last edited:

Hi Marie,

I looked on Amazon before I got mine.
Looking further in to Amazon...
So the item is sold by Photo-Univers in France and not by Amazon, as specified in the description?
Yes i'm Photo-Univers and our products come from CANON Europe so if you buy it at photo-Univers you have the European guarantee.

When I got mine from Wilkinsons, it came with a 3year Canon UK warranty

I would check with Canon UK regarding warranty

No, photo-univers is one of the sellers but they are now at £901
It specifically tells you to make sure you buy from amazon uk in order to get the cashback, which is what I did.

Back