Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

sent to Elstree and they sorted it

I had the same problem with a 1Ds mk3 and a 70-200 2.8 mk2, and again it was the lens, however strange that it's happening with 2 lenses, how long have you had the 1 Dx and did you buy it locally?
Should still be under warranty, Elstree will check body and lenses under that.

George

i bought the 1dx off a fellow member on here it was originally purchased from clifton cameras on 05/06/2012 just my luck it's just out of warranty :(
like i said it's not very often it happens but when it does it's a pain

iv'e not really noticed it happening with other lenses but the 2 70 - 200 2.8's iv'e already mentioned

Contact Canon elstree, be surprised if they do not do it free when just a few days over warranty...SOG act and all that...

Contact Canon elstree, be surprised if they do not do it free when just a few days over warranty...SOG act and all that...

Agreed, you couldn't do it over the weekend, and today (ie tomorrow) is the first chance you've had, isn't it?

Well, as I'm in Scotland, my view is I'll send it to Elstree, always found them helpful.

No harm in trying locally, just I can't give an opinion on Lehmanns, although I'm sure others can....and will.

i seem to be having a focus issue when auto focusing to near infinity the AF just stops trying to focus
if i move the focus manually it will have another try and usually focuses or if i switch the camera off and on again sometimes that works
it doesn't happen that often but when it does it tends to do it quite often during that session of using the camera
it's happened with 2 different lenses ( 70 - 200 2.8 L non is and 70 - 200 2.8 L is ) i don't think it's a lens issue
anyone else had similar focus issues ?
I would contact canon about this as ther has been a few reports of this problem when using the 1dx

I would contact canon about this as ther has been a few reports of this problem when using the 1dx

iv'e read something somewhere with similar goings on but cant recall where it was iv'e also heard about the cold weather focus issue

iv'e already contacted the canon cps rep just waiting for a reply
is there a more direct / better way to contact canon or is the cps rep the way to go ?

iv'e not really had to deal with canon before and not really sure of the best way to go about this considering it's warranty ran out a few days ago i'm hoping canon will stand the repair considering there have been reports with similar problems and the considerably low shutter count for a 2 year old 1dx ( 27,000 )

If your cps you can ring canon direct and talk to someone there. You can get the number off the Canon site.

FYI everyone... £250 for a replacemnt shutter and extra 40 quid if motor needs replacing as well.. mines going in next monday.. less than 300 quid to replace motor and shutter..... plus i have a 25% off from the cps so 225 :)

i phoned cps up today and to be honest i wasn't really getting any where but that might just be me any way iv'e taken a drive down to lehmanns and explained what the camera was not doing properly they say there's a bit of lee way on the warranty so shouldn't be a problem with having the work done under warranty so fingers crossed so to speak

i know theres been a few horror stories about lehmanns but iv'e also read good reports too

Mines gone to esltree today 26 quid postage :( getting new shutter and motor as its done 427k actuations.. rather get new now and hopefully last another 400k+ dont want it packing up middle of footy seaosn.. I know it still can.. but odds are better :)

Wonder how many 1dx they have had for new shutter? :)

early morning call from canon.. they have my camera but i put 300 quid on max payment.. they say 350-400 I say not what i was told on phone ....i told them thats why i am doing it.. shutter hasnt gone but decent price may as wlel be safe.. i told them i will be most upset if they are going to charge me a hundred or 150 more than quoted... she ended up setting the limit to 350..... probably going to come back with another price later... absoloutly NOT HAPPY ..

Still a decent price mate for shutter and AF motor, piece of mind that its covered for next 12 month as well, small price to pay.

Still a decent price mate for shutter and AF motor, piece of mind that its covered for next 12 month as well, small price to pay.

2 yrs hopefully.. cant see me ever buying any more cameras so these will ahve to do.. 1dx should last a while :) not even a sniff of a new camera from canon and on past experience.. sniff to production would be 18 mths at least

got mine back from lehmanns today the service was fine and they were pretty quick with the repair ( took it in last friday )

nothing has been replaced they have cleaned the focus mirror and re calibrated autofocus to specification time will tell if it's cured my problem

i have now got a dust bunny i hadn't seen before :( although other dust bunnies have been removed :)
focus seems fine so far :)

check serial make sure its same camera :) seriosuly they are a bit liek that at lehmans :)

I am so peed off with people saying one thing and then it's another when it comes to it.

I have got a digital voice recorder. Think it's time to start taping these type of conversations.

Out of interest, the shutter is guaranteed for 400k clicks. Shouldn't it be replaced if it fails before then? Even if out of warranty?

Out of interest, the shutter is guaranteed for 400k clicks. Shouldn't it be replaced if it fails before then? Even if out of warranty?

Not if its out of warranty.. not heard of one going before the 400k yet though ? and its not guaranteed.. its a guide i believe

Mines coming back tomorrow.. gonna be a nervy try out at t20 cricket friday night.. hope right for weekend...

well juts got mine back.. new shutter and shutter charge unit.. which i presume is the motor., ... first let down :( the RELEASE CYCLES still says 429000 ... i presumed new shutter this would ahve been zeroed :(

off for a quick test but wont know proper until my t20 cricket tonight

my fav first test of any camera new of fixed is to get my 135m on it and take short and distance shots at F2 ..lets face it thats a good test.. distance f2 shots... well I just got the missus to stand outside in garden while i took shots through the house right into her eyes.. f2 loverly sharp :) I am happy.... but the wifes pulling her face a bit :)

my fav first test of any camera new of fixed is to get my 135m on it and take short and distance shots at F2 ..lets face it thats a good test.. distance f2 shots... well I just got the missus to stand outside in garden while i took shots through the house right into her eyes.. f2 loverly sharp :) I am happy.... but the wifes pulling her face a bit :)
Thats because shes looking at your ugly mug and the thought you might say to her "do you think we should have another child"

Thats because shes looking at your ugly mug and the thought you might say to her "do you think we should have another child"

probably less frightning than "do you think we should have another camera" :)

DPP 4.0 has been released with some upgrades and you can have a read up Here but main bits are as follows:

DPP 4.0: ALL-NEW KEY FEATURES
  • Faster, real-time adjustments.
  • Improved RAW file workflow.
  • Better, more approachable user interfaces.
  • Compatible with 64-bit native environments.
  • Colour adjustments for specific colour gamuts.
  • Improved highlight recovery provides expanded tonality.
  • Improved shadow recovery function.
  • Support for movie playback.
  • Auto Lighting Optimizer can be applied to JPEG images.
  • Better integration with EOS Utility.

And can download from Here but will require your camera serial number.

Last edited:
oops thought i was in the photomechanic thread....sorry......

Last edited:
Wow nice I will start saving up

whats nice ? I couldnt see anything about a 1dxmkII accept by name... what would be new or improved?

iso and pixel count i am happy with... OK even better iso would be nice but not nice enough to upgrade..

built in wifi so i can send straight to laptop as i shoot would be good

anything else?

Back