Canon 20D with damaged mirror - can I repair?

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

At the end of last year I managed to dislodge the mirror assembly in my Canon 20d whilst trying to clean it. I know, I'm a complete idiot for doing it - I shouldn't have been in there in the first place! Anyway, in trying to relocate it I then managed to scratch it.

I took the camera in to my local dealer and they sent it away to the Canon Repair Centre who quoted in excess of £400 to repair it. Not wishing to art with that amount of cash for the repair I had them send it back and after a few weeks, bought the 50D that I have now.

My question is, since I still have it, is there any way I can repair it myself? Can the mirrors be sourced by individuals? Despite having a momentary lapse in sanity when I broke it, I am actually quite technically minded and have tools suitable for dismantling it.

Anyone know where I could get the part(s)?

EDIT: Just had a thought that I might be able to buy a complete body for spares on ebay for not much money...

Try on fleabay for a complete 20D? then remove the parts you need and install into your 20D?

I reckon it'll be a fairly involved job to change, just replacing the af mirror spring on an xxxD series (a twenty pence part) will set you back £150+ as it's a near enough full strip down to get in at it....

I guess if I can get hold of a spare for very little money, I have nothing too lose really... You're not filling me with confidence though Flash! :| lol

I guess if I can get hold of a spare for very little money, I have nothing too lose really... You're not filling me with confidence though Flash! :| lol

Have a look on Fleabay and see if you can get the manual/spares catalogue on cd, that'll give you an idea how complex a job it is and you'll also have the part number. so you could contact Canon and get a price for that, might not be too dear....

Have a look on Fleabay and see if you can get the manual/spares catalogue on cd, that'll give you an idea how complex a job it is and you'll also have the part number. so you could contact Canon and get a price for that, might not be too dear....

Good idea. For anyone else looking for similar information in the future... with a bit of digging I found a spares manual HERE.

I'll contact Canon next week and see what sort of money the part is! Wish me luck! :thinking:

Back