Canon 300mm f/2.8L

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
This auction has been tormenting me since 11:30 when I first spotted it, but having only bought a Sigma 100-300 f/4 yesterday, I really can't justify buying this as well.

A well used Canon 300mm f/2.8L for £1131 inc delivery from Denmark. There shouldn't be a nasty Customs bill following it up because Denmark are in the EU.

I no it seems a good deal but do remember it is not the image stabilisation model, and at those distances In not so good light with a fast subject I would want a is model.
Steve

I no it seems a good deal but do remember it is not the image stabilisation model, and at those distances In not so good light with a fast subject I would want a is model.
Steve

Absolutely, but I'd suggest that even the non-IS model should normally fetch £1700+ in today's climate.

Holly crap - looks well used though!

Anyone want to buy my Sigma 120-300 for the low low price for £1090?

Last edited:
This auction has been tormenting me since 11:30 when I first spotted it, but having only bought a Sigma 100-300 f/4 yesterday, I really can't justify buying this as well.

A well used Canon 300mm f/2.8L for £1131 inc delivery from Denmark. There shouldn't be a nasty Customs bill following it up because Denmark are in the EU.

erm, VAT will still be applicable so another £159 on top

well used, ug code, errrr 17 years old, probably been outin all weathers, if parts needed to repair at anytime, pray and hope you don't have too find them, VAT, do i need to say more.

good luck to whoever gets it, but i know i will not be bidding on it.

cheers paul

Would not bother myself as said already to old and well beat up. most likely being sold due to it starting to show signs of problums.

Given it's still available, maybe it isn't the bargain I originally thought it was. Good job I'm not that impulsive and just splashed out on another lens.

As part of the common market I believe the assumption is just like if you bought in the UK, the tax is levied in the sale.

It's probably still a good buy at that money assuming there's nowt wrong with it apart from the obvious bashing it's had, but hey - 17 years!

I'm not sure how well it would perform with converters compared to the later model mind you. The biggest worry is whether Canon still service it or carry parts?

The lens case certainly isn't original - it's the type supplied with this lens at present. It would have been a metal case originally. The lens hood isn't original either, not that either point is necessarily bad.

dunno how long its got left but a quick email to canon might be worth a punt cos if it is servicable it could be a bargain (I would sell my sisters kidneys - ok screw it I would sell her and her daughter all in for a 300 f2.8 L)

looks well used, Vat shouldnt be payable from denmark well i never have payed it in the past.

no tax/customs/VAT whatever for sales within the EU.

None.

Sadly, the euro is so strong, now is the time to be selling TO europe, not buying from it ;)

Interestingly enough, initial interest in this lens lead to me posting my 120-300 for sale, the funds released from that coupled with a well timed post from dogfish means that I no longer have a need (or use) for this lens

- I just switched to Nikon -

:bonk: how the hell did that happen

Steve

For sports I would say the IS is really not needed - you need to keep your shutter speeds so high that the IS is only slowing down your AF.

The lens does look a bargain, but does have some heavy use on it (for 17 years..). But, who knows... it might work just fine.

I have seen a lot worse copies of this lens go for 1200.. its a bargain and dont let the date put you off..

What you cant see from here is the inside and if theres any fungus as does happen..

Canon wont fix this lens if anything goes wrong as its too old.. but other places will I daresay

If I was looking for a 300 prime I would be tempted at that price..

One of the benefits of the EU is free transport of goods and services.

In the case of buying a secondhand item from a private individual then you won't pay duty or VAT getting things from any EU member state.

If you are buying new or used from a dealer who is VAT registered, then like here the final price would have an element of VAT in it, but you pay at the local rate - Ireland 21.5%, Germany 16% or 19% I can't remember which. There would be no duty to pay.

Anything entering Europe from outside the EU will have import duty and VAT payable at the rates in force in the country of entry (and then on is free to move around the EU)

I was going for this one - asked seller some info.
It was his son who was selling it - he had owned it for a year and only used it couple of times. Seemed all very honest and helpful to provide info and what else I asked.
Didn't have the receipt from the service though.. I would've liked to see that.
But, then when I checked the item - it had been sold this morning for less than the asking price...
Oh well... wife will be happy that another 1000 has been saved (for now).

Sounds like someone got a bargain...

hey gooabu.. last ice hockey of the season for me on sunday.. relegation playoff match :(

Back