Canon 350d problems

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Wondered if anyone had thoughts on this.

Recently my 350d just stopped working Battery was charged etc but no joy. Searched the net and did the suggested - battery out and charge, cf card out, lens off, date/time battery out. (new date/time battery).

This at least got it working again but not the autofocus. I have the stock lens and a sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6. The problem is there for both lenses so I imagine it is not a lens fault. I can still take pictures with manual focus and it is hit and miss with the kids and all the other ways in which autofocus is a winner.

I have done the lens off etc thing several times and for times ranging from 30 mins, several hours and over night.
Firmware is v1.0.3 - I can't find a more up to date version. There has never been an errr message and this problem did not flash one.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? i have seen similar threads when I did a google search for the problem but they ended with no confirmation of the problem being resolved or still present.

Anyone got thoughts on this or had the same problem?

Many thanks for any help

Anthony

Hi. Have you tried a NEW battery? I had a similar problem and had 3 batteries, all of which were showing as charged, but when I got them tested, they were kaput. Two brand new batteries cured the problem!
Just a thought.

hi have also had problems recently with my 350d not focusing took off lens gave contacts a wipe and so far so good no problems since touch wood

Cheers Guys,

Thank you very much for the speedy replies.

I'll check out battery prices. I have swopped over the video camera battery (again registering as full) with the same level of success! (ie none)

I have tried cleaning the contacts. There was no visible residue or debris. However, I only rubbed over with a dry cloth. Should I try something specific? There is a certain amount of communication between the camera and the lens as the auotfocus moves but it moves right through focus and all the way out again. It does not settle on a focus point and so a full button press does not release the shutter.

I have phoned canon - unable to help. I tried a repair shop who reckoned over £100 for repair but unable to be precise (understandable).

I have been thinking that putting money into repair might be better spent on an upgrade. But of course a simple, cheap DIY fix was the preferred option!

Anthony

Last year I bought 2 batteries for my 350D on Ebay for approx £10.00.

These work perfectly so suggest you look there first as the "genuine" batteries are quite expensive - or at least they were when I last looked.

I have tried cleaning the contacts. There was no visible residue or debris. However, I only rubbed over with a dry cloth. Should I try something specific?

You could try the rubber at the end of a pencil, others have found this can help.

I have phoned canon - unable to help. I tried a repair shop who reckoned over £100 for repair but unable to be precise (understandable).

I have been thinking that putting money into repair might be better spent on an upgrade. But of course a simple, cheap DIY fix was the preferred option!

Anthony

Try phoning Norfolk Camera Centre and speak to Mark,m they may be able to give you some more advice - there are a number of places that will happily provide a free estimate, so you would be knowing how much it was going to cost if you were unable to fix yourself.

IMO, £100 + cost of repair - probably best to put towards a new upgrade

Anyway, hope you do manage to get it sorted (y)

anto just wiped over both sets of contacts with a soft cloth don't know for certain its fixed but working ok at moment

Cheers again for all the useful info

I shall look at ebay batteries as the canon one is approx £50 7 day shop and jessops equivalent nearly £40. £10 is worth a try off ebay.

Going to go find a pencil with a rubber!

Anthony

Hi Anto,

Well I didn't expect too much of them to be honest, but a few months ago I went out with my niece's family for a day out, and I took my camera (Canon EOS 350D).

During that day I took over 500 photos, all with my 70-300mm IS USM lens and a single battery lasted all day and still had power left.

However I must also say that the original battery supplied with the camera (four years ago) is still going strong, but I do like the extra confidence having back ups gives you.

Cheers again for all the useful info

I shall look at ebay batteries as the canon one is approx £50 7 day shop and jessops equivalent nearly £40. £10 is worth a try off ebay.

Going to go find a pencil with a rubber!

Anthony

Have a look at Amazon canon compatables from under 3 quid!
ANYTHINGS better than FEEBAY!!

Just an update - 2 new batteries arrived today - £10 total inc postage. tired them in (not fully charged) and the auto focus now works!!!!!!!!!!!!
Absolutely chuffed to bits. Very grateful for the tip on changing the batteries! AND on the pointer to amazon and avoiding the huge cost of branded ones.

The only downside was that I had nearly talked myself into a 40d!

Once again, thanks to all
Anthony

Back