Canon 400D vs. Nikon D90 ??

A

anObsession

I have a Canon 400D and am planning to upgrade to Nikon D90.

Whats your opinion on the D90??

Cheers

I have a d90 and i like it very much. However i cannot give a comparison to the 400d nor tell you whether its the camera you're really looking for/need...

I've heard very good things about the D90, particularly at high ISOs, but if you have a few canon-fit lenses, you might be losing a fair bit of cash by changing systems!

What exactly do you feel is holding back your photography at the moment? It might be possible to get what you want, without changing systems!

Chris

Personally, I think you will feel that the LCD display on top of the camera on the D90 is a great advantage. I used to own a D40 and when I bought the D90 I found out how much easier it was to adjust settings when you have an LCD on top of the camera.
Furthermore: A friend of mine bought the 450D and I must admit that it feels more plastic-like than the D90 even though they are both made of plastic. But have no doubt, theu are both capable of taking great shots so it basically comes down to whichever camera feels better in your hands. And since you already have the 400D, it might be difficult to get used to the Nikon way of doing things. And you shpould also note: the zoom ring on the Canon and Nikon lenses turn in the opposite direction. That may take a while to get used to.

How about saving some cash from going 400d>d90, and get a 40d? It has most of the features of the d90, apart from video mode, and is a much better camera than the 400d (ergonomically) and IMO, performs much better than the 400d.

well i dont mind if it takes me longer to get used to, because I want to pursue photography as a career. I really like the look and feel on Nikon camera's, i can afford the D90, and havent got many lenses for canon so i wouldnt be wasting alot.

With the D90 though, it has a 'rule of thirds' grid, can you take those things off??

Compare the 50D with the D90 not the 400D, and why not the 450D or 500D models that are more current than the 400D which is 2 generations old.

The Nikon D90 is more an intermediate camera rather than a beginner model like canon's 400D or Nikons D60.

I would really compare the D40, D40x and D60 nikon models to the canon 350D, 400...450 & 500D models.

Nikons D70, D70s, D80 and D90 models against canon's 20D, 30D, 40D and 50D models

with Nikon D200, 300 and 700 models v canon's 5D MkI and II.

Peter

Back