Canon 50 mm

Edit My Images
No
Yep

I think Kerso is doing it for £75 delivered at the moment.

Good lens, got one with my EOS100, 'Bargain'

This lens is awesome and EVERYONE should own one if you shoot Canon. I use one with my 5D2 and it is fantastic. I keep telling myself that I should upgrade to the 50mm f1.4 or 1.2L but the f1.8 is just so good I can't possibly justify the expense.

Don't even think about it. As Mr. Nike says... Just Do It!

This lens is awesome and EVERYONE should own one if you shoot Canon. I use one with my 5D2 and it is fantastic. I keep telling myself that I should upgrade to the 50mm f1.4 or 1.2L but the f1.8 is just so good I can't possibly justify the expense.

Don't even think about it. As Mr. Nike says... Just Do It!

The only difference i have seen between the quality of images of these 50mm lenses is the bokeh is a little better in the 1.4 and hardly any difference between the 1.4 and 1.2. You only see the difference in the circles of blurred light. The circles in the 1.8 are a little more hexagonal. The image quality seems to be too damn close to call. The 1.2 is just silly money unless you are a pro. The 1.8 is an awesome lens.

I wandered into Jessops this afternoon, and my eyes happened to alight on

canon_ef_50mm_f1.2_l_usm_lens.jpg

Now I want one.. and it isn't £75 delivered.. (sigh) :(

A.

The f1.4 is almost as good. I can't tell the difference in IQ!

Or for £8 you can have one of these: :D (Helios 44 2 [58mm f2])
Helios.jpg

Out on a limb here - I got rid of my nifty fifty. Prefered the zoom lens and never fell in love with f1.8. At the time I'd heard such wonderful things being said about it, so though that for a few quid it was worth the punt.

It was - convinced me I'd not buy another - Maybe at another time in my photographic journey it may fit the bill. At the mo, there's no place for a nifty in my camera bag!

The 50mm f1.4 is a better built lens and a little bit faster (not that I'm stating the bleedin' obvious) and at £300 ish is a nice step up from the f1.8 without having to put your wife (or husband) out on the streets to pay for it..

I have to agree with Sara there, i got one and had a mk1 as well, mainly because "everyone has one" and to be honest prefer a zoom. Never used the 50 at all, but at £75 its not an expensive lens to buy and try. A bit like marmite love it or hate it.

Helios 44 is a good bit of Russian glass, got one on a Zenith, ive had for years, you could say its a basic diy version, ie. you got to turn the rings yourself.(y)

Dave.

I have to agree with Sara there, i got one and had a mk1 as well, mainly because "everyone has one" and to be honest prefer a zoom. Never used the 50 at all, but at £75 its not an expensive lens to buy and try. A bit like marmite love it or hate it.

Yes, you are right. If you are used to zooms, it's a real shocker when you try a fixed focal length lens. But you do get used to it if you persevere.

I dont think it was so much it was a prime but more the 50mm wasnt a usefull focal length for me. I would love a long prime like a 400mm.

Another nifty fan here - again, mine doesn't get used often but when it does I fall in love with it all over again!

I have the 50mm f/1.4 and love it! It's the lens that sits on my camera most of the time and certainly when I take it in the car for just in case moments when I think I may use the camera. All the other zooms are in the bag and used when required.

Back