Canon 50mm 1.4 (Opinions)

Name
David Bridges
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Just been searching through a load of threads couldn't find a dedicated 1.4 thread. So who owns one and what do you think... any shots that you are proud of that I can see. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

It's a lovely lens. I've had mine for a few months now and haven't had a problem with it. Fast and accurate focus, pretty sharp wide open, and it's nice and light.

My only minor complaint is that it's only really tack sharp from about f/2.8 onwards (although acceptably sharp at f/1.4, more-so by f/2) so I'm probably going to get the Sigma version which is reportadly sharper at wide apertures.

I don't have any photos to hand but there are plenty on the interwebs.

All in all, though, a fantastic piece of glass for not a lot of cash. Great investment.

George.

They're pretty robust, too. My daughter fell into the river with one. All it needed was a little drying out and some tender impact-maintenance and it was as good as new.

I have looked at example shots from the 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.8 and for overall Image Quality the 50mm 1.4 wins hands down! I'm very tempted go go for one of these myself after seeing the example shots.

I went through a stage where I couldn't make my mind up about the F1.8. Sold it and bought an F1.4. It's a lovely wee lens, well worth the extra cash compared with the F1.8. Nicer image quality, better bokeh, better construction, like chalk and cheese.

There were some comments a while ago though about the mechanism seizing up if it was stored in a certain way, think it was face down. Someone might be able to confirm or correct that :)

I have a 50mm f1.4 and rarely use it now I no longer have a crop body, this is due to both the use of a 24-70L as a walk around and if I want a fast lens I use the 85L f1.2, this tends to mean that the 50 f1.4 gets overlooked these days.

Good lens though and a great choice for portraits on a crop body.

I just can't justify/afford L glass and the 1.4 looks damn close to me to L glass. Even the price of a new 1.4 is pushing by budget to the max! But from what i have seen it's worth it.

2670129259_3c96cdc8e7_o.jpg

1/125 sec, f/2, ISO 800 on a Canon 5D, available light.

I'm well pleased with my nifty fifty f/1.4.. sharp as a pin, and pretty cheap for a Canon lens. It compares very well to my 24-70mm L. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra cash on a 50mm f/1.2 L, the marginal increase in max. aperture and IQ wouldn't justify it IMO.

A.

Nifty 1.8 = £75ish Superb for the money!
Nifty 1.4 = £250ish That's £180 for 2/3 stop!!! But worth it!! Weird eh!
Nifty 1.2L = £1,200ish HOLY COW!:eek:

I have gotta get one!!!!!!!!!!!

Examples from the Canon forum:
daisy2.jpg

p508304516-3.jpg

3395760198_39b4c0de4e_o.jpg

p1056263617-4.jpg

I bought one today, seems nice and the 1.4 is an added bonus, i didnt realise it external focused but its still pretty quick!

I have had both the 1.8 and now the 1.4. The 1.4 is sharper to about f2, after that there is very little to choose between the two. AF and build are much better on the 1.4. Bottom line, if you think you will be using this a lot below f2 then it is worth it over the 1.8, otherwise get the 1.8

I have had both the 1.8 and now the 1.4. The 1.4 is sharper to about f2, after that there is very little to choose between the two. AF and build are much better on the 1.4. Bottom line, if you think you will be using this a lot below f2 then it is worth it over the 1.8, otherwise get the 1.8

I have had a look at shed loads of shots of the 1.8 and the 1.4 and the 1.4 seems so much sharper and better IQ...However the 1.4 shots were taken at f1.4. I don't know if the 1.8 shots are just not great images or what it is, the 1.4 just reeks quality where the images are concerned.

OK Hands up time. I have looked at more 50mm 1.8 shots on the same forum and i must say some are damn good and the difference is minimal.

There really isn't that much to choose from either so it comes down to the choice of spending £200 more just for that bit extra????????????

Hmmm i'm not sure it's worth it. I'm not a great photographer at all so i would probably be wasting my money.

Anyhoo heres a shot or two from a 50mm 1.8

3736044913_0417887ba1.jpg

3573366362_90c9e67920.jpg

3711307374_1da9ac681b_o.jpg

Back