Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

So it looks like I will be joining this official club very soon, just a quick question to start - the sensor will be requiring a clean. To avoid the christmas rush I intend to send it to get done at a Canon approved vendor in Glasgow, but will be doing so after christmas once the parcel madness is over.

As a stop gap I am looking for a kit to suffice me until then and most probably after, what sort of kit is everyone else using?

Thanks
Scott

Kit for cleaning?

I use Pec Pads and Eclipse fluid.

I wrap a Pec pad around a slice cut from an old credit car and tape it in place. I then add a drop of fluid to the tip and after a second or two to allow any excess to evaporate I clean... The idea of using a slice cut from a credit card is that it flexes and doesn't allow any real pressure to be applied and thus no real chance of any damage. I've cleaned by DSLR and CSC sensors more times than I can remember without incident and can clean them to min aperture (f16 or 32 depending on the lens) without much problem.

Always try a Rocket first though.

Yes sorry meant cleaning kit, is there any complete kit that comes close to that? I've been looking at the compressed air vacuum and think it could be a worthwhile purchase for clearing out debris in and around the sensor. Looking on Wex theres a few swab kits that get good reviews.

Sensorklear pen works for me along with the rocket blower

Just have to make sure to dab its tip off first on a microfibre cloth and sometimes I also blast it with the blower.

Always found it hard to get right into the corners and edges with a swab, but the pen has a shaped and angled tip which makes it easier

Last edited:
Yes.

If you select clean sensor in the menu it holds the shutter open, or tells you there isn't enough charge in the battery.

Assuming the battery is up to it you then manually clean the sensor and then turn the camera off.

Any recomended videos/tutorials specific to the 5d, people have used before their "first time"

Not much to it really, its simplicity is all part of the allure and very straight forward coming from another Canon

Due to the rather long winded menu its a good idea to load up the custom setting on the main selector, mirror lock up is a good example.

I've got three bodies, a 5d, 5d2, and a 7d - and have found dust, eventually, on all three's sensors. Annoying. The 5d classic wouldn't surrender its bits of grot to the only kit I had to clean things up, ad simple blower. Incidentally, said blower was fond of spitting out its delivery spout, as I've read some do. So I arrested that bad habit by strangling the engagement neck of the bulb with a small cable-tie pulled up really tight. The resulting compression on the spout locked it in place.

But the ongoing business of dust getting in was a big point of annoyance. I keep my kit clean and don't change lenses in places where dust could be foreseen as a risk. So I wondered how it was sometimes finding its way inside all three bodies. Dust generated by wear on the reflex or shutter mechs I could do nothing about. Then I realised that although my treatment of the bodies and lenses was bordering on obsessive, I hadn't been so careful with the body or lens caps. All I'd done with those was to engage them together and into a pocket in the big kitbag they went till needed. Then it struck me this was an excellent route for crap to find its way into mirror boxes and hence onto sensors. As the mirror flails up and down, it must create miniature hurricanes between the lens throat and the shutter/sensor - more than capable of blowing tiny dusty bits around on the caps' inner faces and if there is any static in the sensor itself, perhaps that might explain why some dust appeared to land on its surface and be resistant to puffer-blowing.

So I decided to wash-clean and air dry all sets of caps and keep them inside self seal bags. Did the same with the blower bulb too.

Too early to tell if this will do anything in the real world, but it can't hurt. It's one of those things that perhaps everyone else does and thinks it too obvious to mention? We'll see if it makes any difference.

I've just got another 5D, from Harrisons Camera, with a 12 month warranty and it's a gem, I honestly can barely tell it's been used. I do love the output of these so I'm going to try very hard to keep this one no matter what.

After all the advice in here and on the forum, have now completed my conversion from 50d to 5dmki :)

Only have a 70-200 F4 L at the minute so thinking a nifty fifty might tide me over till I can afford a tamron 20-70ish.

Just a few questions at the minute, I've not had a chance to look through the manual:

- Are you able to display camera settings on the rear screen, currently it just previews images after they have been taken/whilst reviewing. At the minute I am having to use the small screen on the top.

- Is bulb mode available? if so how do I activate it. I couldn't when trying on the top screen.

I'll have a look through custom functions. I have set it to take small jpegs and raw files - read a trick that doing this on a 1D lessens the effect of a poor rear screen resolution, makes it easier to review shots.

All help very much appreciated.

Scott

- Are you able to display camera settings on the rear screen, currently it just previews images after they have been taken/whilst reviewing. At the minute I am having to use the small screen on the top.

AFAIK the rear screen is just for review.

- Is bulb mode available? if so how do I activate it. I couldn't when trying on the top screen.

Set the mode dial to "B." If you have a manual it should be on page 93, but I don't think it says much more than I just did :D

Are you able to display camera settings on the rear screen

Pressing the INFO button brings up your current settings on the rear LCD. View only and you cannot select/change them from this screen as you can on the MKII

Last edited:
Oh yes, I forgot about that, but not something that I remember ever using as it goes off as soon as you touch anything.

Could be wrong, but if memory serves I don't think it shows the shutter speed or aperture, just all the other preset stuff.

Hardly ever use it myself and get what I need from the viewfinder or top LCD

AFAIK the rear screen is just for review.Set the mode dial to "B." If you have a manual it should be on page 93, but I don't think it says much more than I just did :D
Pressing the INFO button brings up your current settings on the rear LCD. View only and you cannot select/change them from this screen as you can on the MKII
Oh yes, I forgot about that, but not something that I remember ever using as it goes off as soon as you touch anything.

Thanks guys, I did wonder what B was :LOL: typical man not bothering with instructions! shall have a look tonight.

Shame can't edit settings on the rear scree, was something I quite liked on the 450d/50d, but alas nothing that cant' be adjusted for, cracking camera all the same.

After missing out on a 5D in the classifieds, I managed to pick one up from Wex yesterday afternoon for similar money with a 6 month guarantee. Everything feels tight, No signs of major wear other than some of the paint missing in places on the hotshoe and maybe a very small chip or two (to be expected really for a camera of this age). Serial starts with a 2 as well.

Only managed to have a play today with the 50mm 1.8. Full frame is superb! The ISO performance wasn't as bad as what I thought it would be either. It certainly doesn't look harsh I don't think even at 1600 (haven't tried the HI setting yet)

I had sold my D7000 and old backup D70 with the intention of just staying with the mirrorless X system and getting something full frame in the future, however I didn't realise you could get these 5D Classics for such good money so I couldn't resist.
I can appreciate compared to the Mk2 and Mk3 it's quite basic however it's plenty for what I want it for. The only thing I think I will miss is LiveView for the odd shot but it's a small sacrifice.

Just upgraded from 550d.. Yet to have my hands on with my 5dc. I'd really be grateful to have my hands on the dvd before exploring the camera.

Did some analysis and recieved a tamron 18-200 aspherical ld xr diII f/3.5-6.3 if macro lens. My first shot gave me dark shades on the edges. What could be the reason? Is this lens not ideal for a ff body? As EF-S lenses wont fit to ff body? Contemplating if I need to return the lens to Amazon. Any help on this is appreciated whole heartedly.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Is this lens not ideal for a ff body? As EF-S lenses wont fit to ff body?

The "Di II" means it's meant for APS-C cameras. Tamrons made for FF do have "Di" without the "II".

Why did you "upgrade"?

Just joined the club today !!Woof Woof old camera lol
Any chance of the DVD if still up for grabs ??

After missing out on a 5D in the classifieds, I managed to pick one up from Wex yesterday afternoon for similar money with a 6 month guarantee. Everything feels tight, No signs of major wear other than some of the paint missing in places on the hotshoe and maybe a very small chip or two (to be expected really for a camera of this age). Serial starts with a 2 as well.

Only managed to have a play today with the 50mm 1.8. Full frame is superb! The ISO performance wasn't as bad as what I thought it would be either. It certainly doesn't look harsh I don't think even at 1600 (haven't tried the HI setting yet)

I had sold my D7000 and old backup D70 with the intention of just staying with the mirrorless X system and getting something full frame in the future, however I didn't realise you could get these 5D Classics for such good money so I couldn't resist.
I can appreciate compared to the Mk2 and Mk3 it's quite basic however it's plenty for what I want it for. The only thing I think I will miss is LiveView for the odd shot but it's a small sacrifice.
Yeah sorry for that (not) ;)

I do love the 5d classic!! Seriously thinking ill get another and put the 40d in the back of the cupboard.

Well it didn't take long... I sold my 5D1 not that long ago... now I'm selling up to buy it back again haha... The quality of FF (at night and high iso) is just not there on crop bodies no matter how new they are!

Just joined the club today !!Woof Woof old camera lol

And it served me well and I was very happy with the IQ up to and including ISO 3200.

The only reason that I sold the 5D and its lenses is that I prefer more compact and lighter kit. For anyone who is happy with a DSLR setup, I think that a 5D is a very very good buy. Stick a Sigma 50 or 85mm f1.4 on it and IMVHO lots of modern kit will struggle to do a lot better.

Yeah sorry for that (not) ;)

I do love the 5d classic!! Seriously thinking ill get another and put the 40d in the back of the cupboard.

Haha thats ok no worries.

I have quite enjoyed shooting with the 5Dc. RAWs are nicely manageable and the image quality even at top ISO is pretty good IMO.

Managed to pick up a 28 - 135mm IS USM the other weekend from eBay. Along with my 50mm 1.8 this is a pretty nice set up.

Last edited:
Dilema:

All having some issues since upgrading, figure this would be the best place to ask. Upgraded my camera body from a 50d to a 5dc.

Now none of my Yongnuo/Metz flashes fire when on the camera hotshoe or attached via cord. Both flashes work fine when not on the camera.

I do not have the flash model numbers, but 2 are Manual and one is ETTL.

Anyone had similar issues? will a Canon flash solve my issues?

Not sure i have to say as I only ever use off camera flash anyway im afraid.

Thanks for the reply Donnie, can I ask what you use for OCF? I have some radio triggers but both hot shoe attachments are dead.

Hopefully the Canon flash solves my immediate issue, but some new readio triggers wouldn't be a bad idea.

Cheers
Scott

Dilema:
Now none of my Yongnuo/Metz flashes fire when on the camera hotshoe or attached via cord. Both flashes work fine when not on the camera.

I too got 2 Yongnuo flashes (YN568EX, YN560-III) and a Metz CT32 with an Yashica/Contax Adapter and all of them are working perfectly with my 5D.

Maybe there's flash firing is disabled in customer functions? It's function #7

Picked up a mint 5D with less than 9k shutter counts for £390.00 off the bay! Also had the mirror replaced. Coming from an entry level Sony SLT quite an incredible upgrade......only downside is the lack of liveview but the IQ is simply incredible! If the DVD is still about then i'd really appreciate borrowing it!

Back