Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

cool any info regarding where to get the cleaning kit from, cheers

Very good blower...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Giottos-GTA...e=UTF8&qid=1411059259&sr=8-1&keywords=giottos

Could try these for a wet clean after a blower clean, a lot of people use visible dust but imo thats crazy money. These are the right size for the 5D.

http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/product-detail.php?cat=2&product=756&desc=Mini Sensor Cleaning Kit with 24mm Swabs

Also, these are decent for a quick clean but arent as effective as a wet clean for things like pollen and stubborn stains...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenspen-Sen...F8&qid=1411059386&sr=8-2&keywords=sensorklear

Dont be worried, its incredibly easy. After the first time youll wonder what all the fuss is about.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the info. Its years since i've done any heavy duty photography where i'm changing lenses regularly and the 6D i have does a pretty good job at auto cleaning.

I'm ordering the blower right now : )

Hi, just thought I'd say hello on this thread, up until about 18 months ago I did wedding photography quite successfully on a part time basis for around 7 years and had two 5D mkI bodies and between them I must have taken thousands upon thousands of shots... and the cameras never let me down once. In that time I got through 3 flashguns and my 24-105 had to be repaired twice (aperture ribbon band - a common fault that costs £120 - £150 to repair) but the cameras just kept on going and going. My kit was gathering dust so I sold one body about 6 months ago and then sods law the mirror became detached in the one I kept which Canon have now repaired free of charge.

I always had mixed feelings about the 24-105 on the 5D as in the right lighting conditions it could achieve some great results, but if you presented it with any challenging conditions it would start to struggle. Don't get me wrong, its a great studio lens and can be the only lens you need to carry at a wedding which is quite liberating. But it is practical rather than 'wow' and if it is the only zoom lens you are carrying you are always going to wonder whether that aperture ribbon band thing is going to go mid-wedding..

I used to think that any shortcomings were down to the 5D mkI sensor (old technology) and nearly upgraded to the 5D mkII - but having recently bought myself a 24-70 f2.8L mkII I can see that those shortcomings were purely down to the lens (and the canon flash system which is material for another thread).

I started doing weddings with a couple of Nikon D70's but they would struggle with low light and moving over to a full frame 5D changed my whole approach. Suddenly I was taking photos at 1000 iso (or 1600 at a push) and that coupled with a couple of fast primes (50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8) really raised my game. Equipment has come on a long way since then and it seems that cameras can now almost shoot in the dark and its easy to forget just how ground-breaking the 5D mkI was and how it revolutionised wedding photography, especially in low light.

Wedding photography is partly about knowing your kit, knowing how it will react in certain circumstances, knowing how to get the best out of it, and that goes for the camera and just as much the flash. Learn these well and you will surprise yourself with what great photos you can achieve. The most difficult aspect of wedding photography is the challenging lighting conditions you encounter, very bright unforgiving sunshine alongside shade as dark as night, sometimes completely out of your control because that's basically the only place there is to do the photographs.

Every camera has its shortcomings but for me the 5D mkI is still up there alongside the best, although saying that I've just bought an unsold new boxed 1100D and put the 24-70 f2.8 mkII on that and the images are bloomin awesome.

My conclusions are that 1) full frame great for weddings in low light but you need to learn to be able to 'see' good quality light and how to use your flash when there isn't any good light available... and that 2) full frame and APS-c are both capable of producing excellent images with top quality glass on the front.

Last edited:
I would not go in, better said go in again, with anything that has the potential to produce scratches. A filter replacement will cost more than the cam is worth.

This has as much potential to scratch as any wet sensor swab.

This has as much potential to scratch as any wet sensor swab.

Only, if you use it just once and throw it away afterwards, but it's intended to be used several times. Next, you do not press a wet sensor swab towards the filter glass, but with the lens pen you will.

The coating of the filter glass seems to be some kind of soft.

Last edited:
Only, if you use it just once and throw it away afterwards, but it's intended to be used several times. Next, you do not press a wet sensor swab towards the filter glass, but with the lens pen you will.

Ermm not actually. You twist the pen in the cap and it cleans the head and you close the cap after a clean, so unless theres something already ON your sensor for it to have picked up it shouldnt get 'contaminated'. You use them both in the same way, both touch the sensor/filter.... in the same way. You dont press any harder with a sensorklear than you do by swiping with a wet swab.

Last edited:
Been using a Sensorklear pen on my 5D with no Ill effects, also used wet swabs too again with no problem.
Press down lightly with both, not going to do anything if you just tickle it.

Too much nonsense written about how delicate the sensor or to be correct anti aliaising filter is.
Sensor pen does a good job, best to tap it on a microfibre cloth before use and twist the cap to clean it once done

One from my 5D a few weeks back - don't get a chance to shoot a lot at the moment, but I've got a week's leave coming up and looking forward to getting out a few times and getting some more pics; I usually only shoot with the 35mm f2 IS, but may get a few shots on the 50mm f1.8 just for a change of scene.

Little G - Pro Photographer by Jimwah, on Flickr

Nice picture Jim, very cute.

Re above stuff on sensor cleaning, after my first 'pro' clean by Fixation I've always done it myself and have done it loads of times, I attach body to tripod and lock up mirror then put vacuum cleaner nozzle close to (but not in) the lens mount hole which sucks out any loose debris / particles of dust. Then just use the 'one pass' wet method with swabs and its always worked a treat with no damage caused. You should never have to press hard, any particles will stick to the damp pad but you must not over apply the fluid, just a couple of drips is perfect.

You are going to get a bollocking listing it here, would delete this a bit sharpish if I were you

Cant list it in the other areas as i've not been on here for two months!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant list it in the other areas as i've not been on here for two months!
Exactly thats what the rules say!
NO trading outside classified!

Last edited:
oh dear, i guess i'm a very naughty boy then. sorry

perhaps someone could place in in the ads area for me, so at least the members on here get to know its for sale.

oh dear, i guess i'm a very naughty boy then. sorry
perhaps someone could place in in the ads area for me, so at least the members on here get to know its for sale.
Ok thats the second rule break, you seriously need to think about what you are saying,
And read the rules.!!

i have seriously thought about what i am saying. I also can see its been deleted, so no harm done then, or is that the third rule break?

i'm only kidding ya, my sincere apologies sir ; )

i have seriously thought about what i am saying. I also can see its been deleted, so no harm done then, or is that the third rule break?

i'm only kidding ya, my sincere apologies sir ; )
The second rule break was asking someone else to advertise it.
Apology accepted.
Case dismissed :)

Its the 7d that has more of a noise issue I have used my 5d up to 1600 iso no issues

I've never had an issue with noise on my 5d, I quite like the sound it makes since moving from a 40d, sounds solid like a vw

Sold my 5D a few months back and today have ended up getting another!
Some of my best images came from the 5D and something about the colours it produced I really liked.
I shouldn't have sold my first one to be honest. They are really good cameras for the money IMO.

Opted for the 50 1.4 this time rather than the 1.8. Keen to see how it compares overall :)

What's the best way to replace the terminal covers. I got the old ones out but can't get the new ones in?

Also I have loved my two 5d mk1, but I am going to be selling both now.

Not been on here for a while but got myself a 5dc this year and its an awesome camera love using it and the images it produces are just superb, between the 5dc and the 60d the 5dc is the most satisfying to use, they are really great value for money.

Not been on here for a while but got myself a 5dc this year and its an awesome camera love using it and the images it produces are just superb, between the 5dc and the 60d the 5dc is the most satisfying to use, they are really great value for money.

I haven't used any of Canons other cameras to compare however it's been great having a 5D back and I soon got used to shooting with it again.
On the used market they are very cheap when you consider you are getting a full frame sensor. I nearly did opt for the MkII but couldn't warrant the extra cost at the time. For me, the MkII would just be for Liveview and the convenience of Auto ISO. I haven't found the ISO performance of the 5Dc to be that bad however I haven't been using it to do big prints or anything like that.

My initial reports of the 50 1.4 are very good too coming from a 1.8 in the past :) I'm making a note not to sell this one.

I'm back to full frame goodness! :cool:

Can't believe how much these have dropped in value since I last had one...£385 for a good condition 5D, BG-E4 grip and 28-135mm lens...crazy.:eek:

Just read that the free fix for the detaching mirror problem will finish on 30th September this year.

Mine has never gone, bet it will now though

Canon is doing wrong. First CPS, now that fix. I bet, very soon they will terminate spare parts and following that, any service for that camera, like they do for older EF lenses, even L class. Canon is undermining their own monument of durability. Of course I would not send a 5D to an official Canon service for most repair cases, but I'd like to have adjustments done and spare parts still available for the next years.

The early models would be the ones with the leading zero (2005), but some people reported mirror loss with leading 1 (2006) too. But recently I've seen a report about 600D with the mirror fallen off. ;)

Hello All

I have seen a nice 5D Mk I...very tempted...I have owned 2 of them before...currently shooting a 5D Mk III.

I rarely use my 1Ds Mk II...do you folks think I would make a mistake buying one again?

I have fond memories of the old Mk I...

Two pictures, both made with a 5D and a Canon 50 1.8 attached. One picture is from a 5D the other from a 5D Mark III, so what do you think?

You may klick to the pictures for larger views.

I have owned a 50/1.8 and still own a 50/1.4.

My 1.8 was quite cool while my 1.4 is quite warm. Could this have played a role here?

Hello All

I have seen a nice 5D Mk I...very tempted...I have owned 2 of them before...currently shooting a 5D Mk III.

I rarely use my 1Ds Mk II...do you folks think I would make a mistake buying one again?

I have fond memories of the old Mk I...

They're a great camera, but i wouldn't use one over a mkiii

Just about to obtain used 5DMK1 also managed to seek out a used canon grip.
Pleased Graham set this particular thread up might learn something from it.
GEORGE.

Back