Canon 5D mk II official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D2

Got mine back from canon today repaired :banana:. So hopefully fire a few off this weekend to test

I joined this gang earlier this year, i've used Canons since i was a stuuuuudeeeernt and have gone from the EOS 100/5/33 film units to an EOS 40D and a 10d now a 5dmk2 and i still have and use all the previous cameras apart from the EOS 5 which is the only one that ever broke on me. I only have full frame lenses so i "needed" a full frame digital. I'd upload some pics but the files are too large. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I joined this gang earlier this year, i've used Canons since i was a stuuuuudeeeernt and have gone from the EOS 100/5/33 film units to an EOS 40D and a 10d now a 5dmk2 and i still have and use all the previous cameras apart from the EOS 5 which is the only one that ever broke on me. I only have full frame lenses so i "needed" a full frame digital. I'd upload some pics but the files are too large. :rolleyes:
Upload them to Photobucket or something like that, then you can just post the photo as a link

A bit of a thread resurrection, but are any of you mk2 users considering on upgrading to a newer camera, and if so, which way are you planning on going?

Nope, none of the new cameras do anything extra that I'd want to pay for at the moment.

A bit of a thread resurrection, but are any of you mk2 users considering on upgrading to a newer camera, and if so, which way are you planning on going?
I upgraded to a 5D3 in 2012 and it now does the job of my 5D2, 7D and 1D3. I haven't seen any need to buy anything else or even use anything else since.

The new 5Ds and 5Dsr might push the price of the 5Diii down a bit so that might be worth considering.

I'm more than happy with my 5D MkII. I did look at the MkIII but it was more of an upgrade for the sake of it for me so am sticking with the MkII for now.

I do like the look of the 5DSr but not sure I could justify £3k on one! (Although having seen some sample images from the 5DS they are wow :love:

I'm not good enough to justify splurging £3k+ on a DS/DSR, and I think if I went for a mk3 instead I'd probably look on the classifieds when people being upgrading in reasonable numbers. I've noticed the asking price for the mk2 steadily declining over the last few months. I suppose that's normal, but it makes me wonder if that will accelerate in the near future.

I've noticed the asking price for the mk2 steadily declining over the last few months. I suppose that's normal, but it makes me wonder if that will accelerate in the near future.

Ive noticed that too but, my feeling is that the depreciation in the value of my MkII is less than the MkIII over the same time period.

Picked up a nice second hand 5D Mkii late last year & love it, the new S & R are way to specific for my needs (although do hanker after the S ha ha) awesome bits of kit looking at the few videos floating about. Trying not to look at buying a 5D Mkiii at the moment but that price from HDEW is good :D no must resist

I think the stock from HDEW may be grey imports. I know a lot of people buy from them without any problems but personally I would always have that little concern if anything went wrong. Can't argue about the price though, I can see why people would be tempted.

Hi guys, i currently own a 70d and am thinking of upgrading to the 5d mkii the mkiii is not an option financially and i will be buying second hand can i ask if anyone has done the same and will i notice the difference? my current style is to shoot anything that sits still long enough but plan on hopefully doing portrait and maybe later weddings, my current lenses will be fine on full frame ,thanks Harvey

As you have fflenses I would say it is a good upgrade myself esp for portraits with the dof

@ruffdog64 I agree with Owen that the MkII would be a good upgrade. You've already got some decent lenses and whilst the camera doesn't make the photographer, you would notice a difference in overall functionality and output although it does take a little while to learn how to use the camera to best effect.

For what it's worth, I looked at upgrading to a MkIII and the incremental differences for me were too small to justify the outlay. The MkIII is a great camera but if I was upgrading then I would jump right up to a 5S/R.

Arghhh I have a dilemma. I have been looking at the 5DIII and the DSR and DS but not sure about the purchase.

I am on my first 5Dii (3 years old) and loving it to pieces, but just wondering if an upgrade is worth it.

I can only feel that my 5Dii is lacking the focal points (only the 9) and I cannot help but think that the 5DIII will help in the quality of my work; a better hit rate in focus on macro and dynamic (sports and aviation) work. Then again, the resolution of the DSR and DS are surperior to the point but I have heard that the resolution of the shot in a handheld mode is poor. Plus the DSR and DS have the 1.3x and 1.6x modes (with the reduction in resolution to that of my 5dii) which would help get closer to those shots that I might have been missing.

Then I have to think about the costs.......

I know that a camera is a tool and its what I see that matters; use the tool in the right way and after my competition successes (APOY 15 7th) and publications of my work (online and Digital Photographer magazine), can only think that the 5Dii has been a reliable piece of equipment that still has life in it yet.

I can only suppose this is what the Canon want the consumer to be thinking all the time.

Am I missing a point, or should I be sticking with my trusted 5dii?

Graham

Starting point is that the 5D MkII is a great piece of kit so, any upgrade is always going to be marginal.

From my understanding, the Mk III is far better for dynamic/action shots whereas we know the Mk II has always been slow to focus and better suited to studio or still life. (Obviously the lens combination can play a big part in this too)

I'd agree, again from reading, that the 5Ds/R are better suited to landscape work but to be honest I haven't done enough reading to know if that is correct or an assumption from early press reviews as there are very few people who are using on a daily basis in comparison.

Bottom line : The Mk III is a better camera. Can you justify the additional outlay for the gains you will get from it. Likewise if you were considering the 5Ds/R then the same question is there but the £££ gap is bigger!!

A nice decision to make and there is no perfect answer.

Thanks Buck and all good points. I can attest that I only shoot with L lenses so I am hoping that will not be the main issue here.

I am not sure I can justify any expenditure to be fair and I think the Black Friday stuff has made me think. I might wait a little and see what happens. You are right though, the 5dS/R are rather too much when you consider that capturing a sharp shot when shooting something dynamic like a car or aircraft in such hi res might be too much.

What I do know is that if I did buy another body, I would have enough to last me a while and take some great shots, hopefully for my ARPS.

deleted sorry if I upset anyone... not here to do that was merely excited that I got my son a nice camera apologises never ment to.....

Last edited:
Don't you feel a bit mean knowing they have grossly underpriced it?

Remember karma and all that!!

Last edited:
Don't you feel a bit mean knowing they have grossly underpriced it?

Remember karma and all that!!

It was sold as seen to be fair.... It could of been a spares and repairs as had no battery and I could of lost £150 I just went by condition..... I give to charity all the me and won't be making a profit on it as son will be keeping it so my conscious is pretty clear tbh

We obviously differ in our views then, not something I would be shouting about, but you did invite comment by posting it on here

I picked up a 5d 2 in a charity shop today for £150 ...... Lmao...... Shutter count...... 800 shots and it is mint!!!!! Keep it as a camera for my 13 year old !!!!
Not cool dude :shifty:

Not cool dude :shifty:

I'm not sure..

I'd instantly buy it, I might not LMAO about it, but I'd certainly let people know I got a steal..

One thing I wouldn't do, which I've seen others do on Car Forums I'm on, is then sell them for what 'they're worth'..

Yep don't worry won't be profiting from it in a financial sense just my son will get use of it can understand people took my comment the wrong way and apologise

Stepping into the FF world with Canon soon. My Leica is off to someone else, and hopefully i'll have a 5D mk2 and a 50mm 1.2 L in my hands early next week.

Excited, plus REALLY want to get into the video side of things :)

Have access to a 17-40L , 24-105L and a 100-400L , so hopefully lots of fun to be had :)

Now to spend a few hundred on CF cards and a decent CF reader lol

Fair play Simon 50mm 1.2 is a nice lens on 5d2 well a nice lens on any canon

I think the stock from HDEW may be grey imports. I know a lot of people buy from them without any problems but personally I would always have that little concern if anything went wrong. Can't argue about the price though, I can see why people would be tempted.

The HDEW Cameras come with 1 year Canon warantee and 2 years HDEW warantee

Cool us 5D Mark II owners have a thread.

I shoot with 2 5D2 bodies. Still an awesome camera in 2017. Sure the AF can be a bitch at times but it get's the job done.

The sensor does amazing things with skin tones and natural light.

Well as it's five years since anybody posted I'm going to trying resurrecting it.
Last night I picked up a vgc 5D Mkii locally from a wedding photographer who has now got an R5.
Checked and it's got just over 74,000 shutter count which is just over 1/2 rated life.
The amount of photos I take it will easily outlast me.
Interested to hear any current views on the 5D Mk ii
I have a 5D classic and can't decide whether to sell it or keep it for posterity

I upgraded my 5D MkII to an R5. The 5D is still a fantastic camera and I have kept it as my back up.

I noticed the step change for on 5D to the MkII was significant enough not to look at the 5D again so just consider if you need a back up or look to move it on (although the price will be a pittance in comparison to what it is most likely worth to you!)

Hi Adrian. I've collected an original 7D (1000 shutter count) owned from new, an M5, 1300D, 5D.
Always wanted the 5D mkii but wanted one locally so I could test it before parting with the cash.
This one was 25 mins away.
Going out with it tomorrow to test it out properly.

Back