Canon 5d mk3 SD Cards

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I've just lost some fairly fast SD cards and I've decided to replace them with cheaper Lexar 400x cards. My logic is because the speed of the SD slot in the 5Dmk3 is limited to 133x anyway, and I only shoot jpeg to the second slot as a back up to my RAW files on the CF card slot.

This is for weddings. I know that having an SD card of any description in the second slot will slow down my CF card write speed but I don't adopt a "spray and pray" approach to work and I doubt I will ever need my card to be faster. I am happy to work at my usual shooting speed and have the back up if something goes horribly wrong with slot 1.

I have heard that the slower cards are more prone to corruption but I suspect this is tosh.

Any views on my decision or something I have missed?

Yes, tosh.

A Lexar 400x should be perfectly adequate, but that's the read speed. Lexar doesn't actually quote write speeds.

You only need a fast card if you regularly max out the buffer with long bursts in continuous mode, and need to shoot again straight after. A fast card can make a big difference there, but otherwise, they're just a waste of money.

Hi Richard. I have never run out of buffer shooting a wedding. I use my 7D for any fast stuff anyway and it doesn't have an SD slot

This came out of a conversation I had earlier today when I told a friend I had ordered the slower cards. The idea that slower cards were more corruptible came from somewhere on line

I was actually most interested in their use with my particular camera given the fact that putting any card in the second slot slows down both slots to 133X speed and therefore would make it pointless in putting a faster card in for any reason including taking a series of shots one after the other. For me it is worth the insurance of the second slot and sacrificing speed and buffer.

Last edited:
Back