Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

What is the 4 + 1 quick focus point option please?

Also, I thought I would share a handy tip... I usually shoot in manual with auto ISO, but for a while I've wanted to over or under expose sometimes, and haven't found a way of doing this (this is the short explanation!) Anyway, thanks to the wonderful customisation options, I've now set the SET button to change the ISO, so without taking my eye from the viewfinder I can change the ISO and still see how it meters. It's quicker than checking the metering and then adjusting using the ISO button, but ideally I would like a way to automatically set the ISO one or two stops above or below what the camera thinks is ideal. I think maybe Magic Lantern software would let me do that.

We have had this tip a few times already but it's always worth re posting as it is so handy to have. It's also the only time you can see a real time indication in the VF without having to engage the metering system I believe.
There are so many ways to customise this camera that it's not always clear what does what when combined with out her features.

I really do hope we get the same update as the 1DX but so far I have seen no rumours at all. Only people assuming it's coming on web forums.

What is the 4 + 1 quick focus point option please?

I tend to use a single focus point other than when using expansion tracking for moving objects and use the back focus AF-ON button.
The camera can be set you get 1 horizontal point, then turn the camera portrait for 1 different vertical point and lets say these are the top left of the points, you can also push the joystick button in on focus point selection to centre it straight away.

Here's the extra bit :)
C.Fn2 'Custom controls' for the AE Lock button (*) set it to "Metering and AF start" but press the "INFO" button and move the option over to "Registered AF point". Save and quit, now in normal operation bring up the select af point menu, move it to your desired point lets say the top right, now hold the af point selection button and the button on top that lights up the LCD display, if you've done it right it should beep once. You can do this same procedure in portrait mode.

Now move the af point off this and you should get the normal square which works with the AF-ON button and it should leave behind a little square which works with the AE Lock button. So you end up with 4 instant focus points and the joystick push to centre which obviously loses you the wandering AF point but gives you the +1 point.

Hope that makes sense :)

just a quick question. has anybody got a 5d3 and a Sony RX100III?

Im seriously thinking about downscaling for everyday stuff and the RX100III looks like an ideal pocket camera for days out in the summer?nights away etc.
Appreciate its not cheap but if its as good as the reviews say......

just a quick question. has anybody got a 5d3 and a Sony RX100III?

Im seriously thinking about downscaling for everyday stuff and the RX100III looks like an ideal pocket camera for days out in the summer?nights away etc.
Appreciate its not cheap but if its as good as the reviews say......
Get the Sony a7r

Trouser pocket with a 24-70 f/2.8 lens ?
Seriously, its not in the same ball park as the camera im asking about.

Thanks anyway. if i was to get a Sony A7 it would be the S, and it would have to replace my 5d3
With a pancake lens it can.

Just stick with a iPhone or Samsung device if you just want a pocket camera. They are just as good as a dedicated point and shoot

But I want a zoom lens.

I have a Canon S110 that puts my iPhone 5S to shame, but I've noticed over the past few months that I take my 5D almost everywhere with me, but don't always use it. My 650D was supposed to be there for lightweight traveling, but if I'm going to take something that needs a bag it might as well use the 5D.

The S110 is a good camera but AF is a bit slow, and using the LCD in bright sunlight is hard. The RX100 has a VF, and produces very good raw files, and also does very decent video which I want to get in to more.
I also,like the idea,of zebra stripes etc, something magic lantern has given me on my 5D.

I'm not after replacing my 5D, but if I get something for daily use it needs to be something I dont need a bag for, so even a mirrorless camera is out.

I suppose I'm looking more at a camera that will be an upgrade from my S110, and one that has a fast enough AF, and good low light performance.

So the reason I'm posting is to see if anyone has both, and how they feel about the RX in relation to the 5D3.

Has anybody moved from the 1Ds2 or 3 to the 5D3 and regretted it ? Reason for asking is that although I'm new to the 5D3 there is something about the smoothness of the 1Ds that seems to be slightly lacking in the 5D3. Don't get me wrong it seems an amazingly clever beast and I do hope it is just that I haven't quite got my head around it yet.

Has anybody moved from the 1Ds2 or 3 to the 5D3 and regretted it ? Reason for asking is that although I'm new to the 5D3 there is something about the smoothness of the 1Ds that seems to be slightly lacking in the 5D3. Don't get me wrong it seems an amazingly clever beast and I do hope it is just that I haven't quite got my head around it yet.
Smoothness in what way?

Sorry..... I meant smoother files if that makes sense. The 5d3 seem harsher (cruder )

Never used a 1DS but ive ive always thought of the 5D3 files as being smooth, especially in comparison to my MKIV. I would have thought that overall the 5D has more going for it in terms of noise handling than the 1DS and the AF must be streets ahead, depending on what you photograph.

Never used a 1DS but ive ive always thought of the 5D3 files as being smooth, especially in comparison to my MKIV. I would have thought that overall the 5D has more going for it in terms of noise handling than the 1DS and the AF must be streets ahead, depending on what you photograph.
Im sure your right Gaz..... just need to explore it a bit/lot more in all probability... The af is probably better although the 1DS2 was pretty good and obviously the iso range is far better. I suppose I had been using the 1Ds for so long whatever else I moved to would be vastly different.

I think that using a 1 series body spoils you a bit. Even with the grip on my 5D3 just doesnt fit as well in my hand as my 1DX or MkIV.

But the camera is excellent and the ability to customise it makes it even more versatile. I think its the best value for money camera that Canon has made for a long time.

Ive never really looked at Canon cameras with respect to other in terms of ergonomics but recently had a play with a D4. Geez how can anyone use one of those with all those buttons. Was glad to give it back ;)

A question to all you users.
I seem to have lost my AF point (red square) in my lcd screen and in the DPP software. It is enabled in the settings.
Any ideas as it is driving me mad. I have reset everything and cleared all settings.

thanks

Ah ok, I thought that might be too easy. Not really sure what's going on then.
I've not had the AF points go missing in DPP before unless the lens is in MF mode.
I'm sure someone will know what setting needs changing but if a full reset hasn't done it im at a loss.
Have you tried differnt lenses?

Having used both the 5d3, which I own, and the canon 1d iv I thought the 1d iv was much 'snappier' at focussing, especially in low light - there doesn't seem to be any hesitation (we're talking fractions of a second but that fraction can sometimes cost a missed opportunity). And, we're talking using a 24-70 mk2 on both.

The 1DMkIV locks on focus a bit quicker than the 5D3 but after that the 5D3 is the better camera in terms of holding on to the focus.

In fact the 5D3 is a better camera overall.

The 1DMkIV locks on focus a bit quicker than the 5D3 but after that the 5D3 is the better camera in terms of holding on to the focus.

In fact the 5D3 is a better camera overall.
So, you've got both the cameras and somehow you focus quicker first time round but then the 1d misses or something? or, do you use for video or constant focus?

So, you've got both the cameras and somehow you focus quicker first time round but then the 1d misses or something? or, do you use for video or constant focus?

I think he's saying that the 5D3's ability to track focus in AI Servo is superior to the 1D4's.

I used both MkIV and 5D3 side by side for about a year. The MkIV will achieve focus quicker than the 5D3 whether in one shot or servo. The 5D tracks the subject in servo better than the MkIV.

I ended up selling my MkIV because I eventually almost stopped using it. The only things that the MkIV had going for it was the build quality and the frame rate. In all other aspects I thought the 5D was the better camera and I would choose one over a MkIV every time.

MkIV is a great camera but Canon, IMHO, moved the game on with the 5D3 and 1DX and with the 7DMkII now out then there could be some good buys out there for MkIVs.

Back