Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Hmm, one more question. do you see the black boxes in DPP and the LCD (in LV when changing AF point)?

I must admit im stumped over this one. Even if the camera is playing up id expect to see them in DPP (i assume you have turned that on in DPP).

Yes Dave the black boxes are there in DPP and the camera but not red as they should be to show the AF point.
I have them turned on and just in case I was being stupid I tried another 5d mk3 switching them on and off.

thanks

Hi folks. I am about to start shooting for a panel for the RPS and am wondering what lens and aperture you have found to be the sharpest? I will be shooting a visual arts panel- which will split in to two soon, I know Creative and Pictorial- mine will be the latter) and the max I will need is 200mm. I would appreciate your input. Weather permitting, I head out on Thursday to start. Thank you :ty:

Hi folks. I am about to start shooting for a panel for the RPS and am wondering what lens and aperture you have found to be the sharpest? I will be shooting a visual arts panel- which will split in to two soon, I know Creative and Pictorial- mine will be the latter) and the max I will need is 200mm. I would appreciate your input. Weather permitting, I head out on Thursday to start. Thank you :ty:

What subject matter will you be shooting?
what focal length ?

Typically lenses are sharpest at f8-f11 but that may not suit the subject matter or look of the shot your going for.

What subject matter will you be shooting?
what focal length ?

Typically lenses are sharpest at f8-f11 but that may not suit the subject matter or look of the shot your going for.

Hi Phillip.. I will be shooting at Slimbridge wildlife and wetlands trust but NOT birds in flight...shoulder won't tolerate that at the moment. I primes and also the 24-105 and the 70-200 2.8 II... Any thoughts on those? Thanks for taking time. :ty:

Bump... Just popping out to drive a friend to an appointment. Any ideas about which is the fastest lens, please- my post is a few entries earlier. Thanks

Bump... Just popping out to drive a friend to an appointment. Any ideas about which is the fastest lens, please- my post is a few entries earlier. Thanks

Hi, the 70-200 2.8 IS ii is amazing, the DOF is superb. But a weighty beast on the 5D. Takes a little getting used to but well worth it.
I had the 24-105 and wasn't impressed. F4 just didn't cut it so I upgraded to the newer 24-70, not the cheapest but I've not regretted the change.

And if you want wide the 16-35 F4 IS is worth a look. I've just got that and well impressed so far!

Hi Phillip.. I will be shooting at Slimbridge wildlife and wetlands trust but NOT birds in flight...shoulder won't tolerate that at the moment. I primes and also the 24-105 and the 70-200 2.8 II... Any thoughts on those? Thanks for taking time. :ty:

Either of those lenses will be decently sharp without having to stop down too far.

The question rather will be how much dof do you need for the subject matter to be correctly sharp.

Not sure what type of panel your doing, I assume ARPS if your concentrating on a particular subject.

OK, with all the hype surrounding the 7d2 and the improvements to the AF. Is there anyone else who would like to see Canon release a firmware update to give the same customisation options, ie ability to assign different case numbers to AF ON and AE Lock buttons. I know I would.

I'd like to see it. It would bring the three bodies into line with features. I'd also like to see an update where the timers apply to all the buttons.

Has anyone changed their eyepiece? When im doing an all day shoot my eyebrow gets sore! lol.
Sorry about delayed reply. I too get a sore eyebrow when using 5D III - mainly in portrait and was going to look for a moe padded option at some point.

The battery in my 5DIII has started going flat if left in the camera - even when it's switched off, usually over the course of a few days. I have two batteries, both Canon, puchased at the same time as camera and they both do the same if left installed in body.
Now I realise that many will say that you shouldn't leave your battery in the camera anyway and I appreciate the well intended advice. However, I am still a little concerned that the camera appears to be flattening the battery, even when it's turned off!!

Any suggestions as to what might be causing it and whether I should be concerned, please?

The battery in my 5DIII has started going flat if left in the camera - even when it's switched off, usually over the course of a few days. I have two batteries, both Canon, puchased at the same time as camera and they both do the same if left installed in body.
Now I realise that many will say that you shouldn't leave your battery in the camera anyway and I appreciate the well intended advice. However, I am still a little concerned that the camera appears to be flattening the battery, even when it's turned off!!

Any suggestions as to what might be causing it and whether I should be concerned, please?

No, it's prefeclty normal to leave the battery in the camera, and of course it shouldn't be going flat this quickly.
Only thing I can think of is does this happen with any (or no) lens? I had a 24-105 years ago that did this. It was only that one lens.

No, it's prefeclty normal to leave the battery in the camera, and of course it shouldn't be going flat this quickly.
Only thing I can think of is does this happen with any (or no) lens? I had a 24-105 years ago that did this. It was only that one lens.
Mmmm, interesting! I'll do some tests over Xmas. Meanwhile, thanks and um, Merry Xmas.

I'd like to see it. It would bring the three bodies into line with features. I'd also like to see an update where the timers apply to all the buttons.

Looks as if it could be on the way, Gary and Dave, Canon rumours are reporting some people have seen firmware 1.3.3 on their bodies, although it's not on the Canon website, I'm told.

Needs auto iso exposure comp like the 7D2 and 1 Dx IMO.

George.

Neither have I, doesn't mean they dont exist though ;-).

Actually for me it's the camera itself that I went for. I felt the 5DMkii was a bit outdated to use. I admit to not spending too much time with one (my mate had just got one) but even compared to my 60D I felt it lacked something (other than the obvious of course) when it came to features I had got used to.

For me it's not all about IQ, it's about enjoying taking shots and having something I enjoy using. The MKii wasn't that camera for me.

Great stuff david. I'm gonna admit I'm replacing my Mark II with a 6D though. :p I wanted the lighter body with built-in wifi that's all.

I think what the Mark III has which others don't (don't know if the 6D is similar or not) has to with video capabilities, such as much less moire (is this a firmware thing?)

Great stuff david. I'm gonna admit I'm replacing my Mark II with a 6D though. :p I wanted the lighter body with built-in wifi that's all.

Funny enough i want those two things as well, so i got a Sony a6000 that may well convince me to go mirrorless completely by this time next year. Ive been really impressed with what im seeing so far, especially considering the poor kit lens, and the fact ive been using my Canon lenses on it (full MF, only wide open) has meant i dont have a huge outlay in to a new system.

Im really surprised at how the EVF is working out compared to the OVF i have in my DSLR's. So much info right there in the VF, and shooting in low light seems much easier.

I was about to give up on my 5DMKIII and get a 7DMKII before i noticed the a6000, as i do prefer crop cameras, but....well, its hard to give up a camera like that without being 100% sure.

Picked one up from work a couple of weeks ago brand new with the 24-105 for £1200 as it was purchased by our purchasing team for literally two shots. It came with PS elements and LR5 (I already have LR5) and I have only taken a few photos with it but I must say the silent shutter is amazing and the quality of the photos in low light is phenomenal. I have read up to pay 105 so far in the last week and have discovered a wealth of features and hopefully can put them to use. Compared to most peoples shots mine are most likely going to be deemed snaps but I'm happy with how well they came out. The second one was taken inside without any flash and it was very dark inside so wouldn't have been possible on my 600d.

Dover Castle Keep by Forsyth1987, on Flickr

Dover Castle Royal Chapel by Forsyth1987, on Flickr

Last edited:
Peli cases...
What's the smallest Peli case that will take a 5DIII with an attached lens?
I've been trying to work it out and it looks like the 1400 is the best bet, but it still doesn't leave much padding at the top and bottom; the other dimensions are way bigger than I need as I'm only planning to carry an attached wide angle lens.

Has anyone got any first hand experience they can pass on?
It's for a personal project to capture underground images in Mendip.
I'm currently using a Darren Barrel with my X30, but I really need to get the 5DIII down.
A lot of the locations are unsuitable for changing lenses, hence am looking to carry with the lens attached.
The container needs to be waterproof with deep enough padding to absorb the knocks when I'm pushing it ahead of me in the narrow bits.
It needs to be as small as possible because getting the barrel through the narrow bits is already an effort and the 5DIII is probably going to be a right PITA
A few people have recommended a Peli case but I'm slightly perplexed by all the options.

Also - what alternative are there to Peli that would do the job ?
Thanks in advance - Duncan

Last edited:
FW is available here: http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Cons...igital_SLR/EOS_5D_Mark_III.aspx?type=firmware

Looking for release notes.

EDIT: Click on the name of the FW update for details:

Changes
Firmware Version 1.3.3 incorporates the following improvement and fix.

1. Improves the AF controllability when shooting in Live View mode with a wide-angle lens (fixed focal length or zoom).
2. Corrects some incorrect indications on the "English" and "Russian" menu screens.​

Last edited:
Back