Canon 5D mkiv to Sony A7R IV ??

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone.

Im looking for a little help with a potential move to Sony.

I currently own a Canon 5D mkiv and I’m considering trading this in for the Sony A7R IV. Currently I have a couple of L series lenses for the 5D so it’s not a lens decision.

The Sony is far lighter and smaller than the Canon of which I’m attracted to although the Sony has higher pixels I suspect the file sizes are pretty huge too. The articulated screen is also a plus on the SONY,
I’m a bit of an all rounder when subjects are concerned but mainly landscape, wildlife and preserved railways are my topic.

I wondered if anyone out there has done similar and what their experience has been.

Many thanks Andy

I have a Canon 5D Mk IV which I have effectively replaced with a Sony A6600. I did not trade in but have kept the Canon as well. It does take a little getting used to as the Sony Menus are much less logical and difficult to use compared to the Canon. However, basic IQ is very good with the Sony. The Sony focussing is better if it is in the correct mode but it keeps changing mode. The key issue is that for the longer lens 70-350mm (Sony) on camera the combination is less than 1/3 the weight of my Canon equivalent which for me is now critical. I keep the Canon for studio work or Table top where I could not expect to have to carry the camera around. I might also use the Canon in a very low light situation. I certainly do not regret buying the Sony as I could not have continued with the weight of my previous kit.

Dave

I went from a 5d mk4 to a canon r6 and then to a Sony a74 .......I would take the r6 back in a heart beat . I find on the r6 everything is better apart from noise at iso6400 onwards where the Sony beats it . People rant and rave about sonys autofocus but the r6 is definitely better than my a74 . I have 3 a74s and my wife has 3 r6's (we use them professionally) and I would love to swap with her but she can't have Sony colours .

As a high resolution / tripod camera A7R IV should do the trick... IF you have the lenses to match that sensor. You need outstanding glass to resolve 60MP, not some Canon L zoom

I have a Canon 5D Mk IV which I have effectively replaced with a Sony A6600. I did not trade in but have kept the Canon as well. It does take a little getting used to as the Sony Menus are much less logical and difficult to use compared to the Canon. However, basic IQ is very good with the Sony. The Sony focussing is better if it is in the correct mode but it keeps changing mode. The key issue is that for the longer lens 70-350mm (Sony) on camera the combination is less than 1/3 the weight of my Canon equivalent which for me is now critical. I keep the Canon for studio work or Table top where I could not expect to have to carry the camera around. I might also use the Canon in a very low light situation. I certainly do not regret buying the Sony as I could not have continued with the weight of my previous kit.

Dave
The A6700 has apparently got a vastly improved menu over the A6600 and earlier cameras (going by reviews anyway, I've got the A6600!)

The A6700 has apparently got a vastly improved menu over the A6600 and earlier cameras (going by reviews anyway, I've got the A6600!)
Yes, it has... I bought my girlfriend the A6700 for her birthday, and have been familiarising myself with it over the last week or so. It's similar to my A7RV and more intuitive than her old A6000 but it had to be really, it has far more features, and pages more in the menu system.

Four years ago if you had a Canon 5d* and wanted a move to mirrorless, Sony was the obvious choice.

Nowadays though, if you’re changing cos you want a smaller camera, the clear choice is a canon mirrorless, and the best bang for buck is the R6.

Genuine advice, get the r6 and ef adaptor from canon test drive for a weekend free and I’ll bet you buy one.

BTW I didn’t check, but I’ll bet you can get the entire Easter weekend for free, as they usually extend the weekends for bank holidays.

Glad they have improved the menu but I cannot justify changing. The R6 will still be heavier particularly using FF lenses which would rule it out for me.

Dave

Glad they have improved the menu but I cannot justify changing. The R6 will still be heavier particularly using FF lenses which would rule it out for me.

Dave
R6 is lightweight plastic pos

Dave
I’ve never found Sony menus confusing, I think it’s just a case of what you’re used to. That being said the newer Sony cameras have a new menu structure which is much better imo.
I went from a 5d mk4 to a canon r6 and then to a Sony a74 .......I would take the r6 back in a heart beat . I find on the r6 everything is better apart from noise at iso6400 onwards where the Sony beats it . People rant and rave about sonys autofocus but the r6 is definitely better than my a74 . I have 3 a74s and my wife has 3 r6's (we use them professionally) and I would love to swap with her but she can't have Sony colours .
The A74 isn’t regarded as the best AF in the Sony range (although still very good).

The A7RV is a step up, as are Sonys sports cams (y)

Hi everyone.

Im looking for a little help with a potential move to Sony.

I currently own a Canon 5D mkiv and I’m considering trading this in for the Sony A7R IV. Currently I have a couple of L series lenses for the 5D so it’s not a lens decision.

The Sony is far lighter and smaller than the Canon of which I’m attracted to although the Sony has higher pixels I suspect the file sizes are pretty huge too. The articulated screen is also a plus on the SONY,
I’m a bit of an all rounder when subjects are concerned but mainly landscape, wildlife and preserved railways are my topic.

I wondered if anyone out there has done similar and what their experience has been.

Many thanks Andy
The Sony A7R IV doesn’t have an articulated screen, just a tilt screen. The A7RV has the articulated screen and overall is a much better camera, better AF (especially for wildlife), better IBIS etc plus it has lossless compression which reduces file size without loss of quality. The A7R IV only has uncompressed or compressed, the latter does reduce IQ although you’d only notice in extreme cases.

It is not just that the menu is difficult on My A6600 and I have had 18 months to get used to it but it is very easy to touch one of the the multi selection knobs when taking a photo and unintentionally changing settings. The screen is part touch sensitive and this cannot be fully disabled. When I look through the viewfinder, my nose may touch the screen and change the focus. This cannot happen on the Canon and is just bad design. A colleague has the same problem with his Sony having moved from a Nikon DSLR. If anyone knows how to lock the settings in the A6600 so they cannot unintentionally change, please let me know.

Dave

It is not just that the menu is difficult on My A6600 and I have had 18 months to get used to it but it is very easy to touch one of the the multi selection knobs when taking a photo and unintentionally changing settings. The screen is part touch sensitive and this cannot be fully disabled. When I look through the viewfinder, my nose may touch the screen and change the focus. This cannot happen on the Canon and is just bad design. A colleague has the same problem with his Sony having moved from a Nikon DSLR. If anyone knows how to lock the settings in the A6600 so they cannot unintentionally change, please let me know.

Dave
Does this not completely disable the touchscreen function? https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1940/v1/en/contents/TP0002679660.html

I have my touchscreen turned off completely - and pretty sure I just did this.

The main problem with the A6600 isn't the menu / settings - but the lack of a front dial, which means you have to use the buttons, and therefore remember what the menu is! Again solved on the A6700 - but I can't afford a new camera just yet.

Thanks for replying but I also have it turned off as shown but my camera frequently changes focus area. I sometimes have to reset the focus area between every shot. I could buy an A6700 but told my wife the 6600 would be my last camera purchase ever.

Dave

Thanks for replying but I also have it turned off as shown but my camera frequently changes focus area. I sometimes have to reset the focus area between every shot. I could buy an A6700 but told my wife the 6600 would be my last camera purchase ever.

Dave
Sounds like there’s a fault or there’s something else changing the focus area, with the screen disabled it should be exactly that, disabled.

Dave
I have similar issues with my Canon R7.

I have similar issues with my Canon R7.
Doesn't button 4 prevent this?

I keep accidentally brushed something on the screen as I hang the camera off my shoulder and it changes a setting, normally turning from Burst to 2 Second Delay on my A73. Unlike the Canon 5D4, where there is a slider to be able to lock the wheel, the Sony doesn't have that, I think you can disable it but I don't want to completely disable it, I want it to be able to turn on/off as the wheel also has ISO and other settings.

When I was mainly shooting with the Canon 5D MIV, I tested Sony, and after many years of familiarity of the Canon menu system, I also found it confusing or at least annoyingly slow to find setting I wanted to change. Also the weight, for primes, seemed about the same and as I have a lot of canon lenses, I stuck with Canon, first the R then R5. If I was looking now, R6 would definitely be the first option I'd test out.

When I was mainly shooting with the Canon 5D MIV, I tested Sony, and after many years of familiarity of the Canon menu system, I also found it confusing or at least annoyingly slow to find setting I wanted to change. ...
I think this is the main reason for people finding something like this confusing - it simply isn't set out the way they expect from previous experience.
I've always used Sony cameras (starting back with an A200) and find the menu systems fine - even with three cameras with different 'generations' of menus (A900, A6000, A7iv).
A few years back I was out with a group of other photographers, and one who was relatively inexperienced needed help with a particular setting on their Canon - as the other Canon users were busy, I tried to help, but the menus to me were a mess - nothing was where I expected it to be, yet to someone who is used to them they are great.

When I was mainly shooting with the Canon 5D MIV, I tested Sony, and after many years of familiarity of the Canon menu system, I also found it confusing or at least annoyingly slow to find setting I wanted to change. Also the weight, for primes, seemed about the same and as I have a lot of canon lenses, I stuck with Canon, first the R then R5. If I was looking now, R6 would definitely be the first option I'd test out.
This will of course depend on the primes, for the ones I use either Sony are noticeably lighter or Canon don’t do them for them for EOS R (y)

R6 would definitely be the first option I'd test out.
R6 @ 20MP really limits your printing options for landscapes to somewhere around up to A1, possibly even involving some Topaz to bridge the gap. I have A1 printer and lots of 22MP landscapes so you bet I know it's limit. 8K with the right lenses allows you to stretch as far as 3M wide, before even doing any panoramics.

Back