Canon 5d or 6d

Edit My Images
No
Hi there, not sure about my budget yet but what's the major difference between these cameras?
I have a cropped sensor so would like to upgrade to full frame x

There's three versions of the 5D, are you referring to the latest, mark III?

5D III has a heavier, larger body with a much more advanced AF system and ability to shoot at 1/8000th second at faster frames per second. It has two card slots as well.

6D is smaller, lighter and has simpler AF system, but is able to AF is darker conditions than the 5D III. The 6D also has integrated GPS and wi-fi which the 5D III doesn't, but there's only one card slot and the camera is limited to a maximum 1/4000th second shutter speed.

Hi

I have just purchased a 6D after a lot of research. I went for the the 6D in preference to 5D's as it was a lot lighter and it was more suited to my level of photography. No good buying a Rolls Royce if you are going to drive it like a mini. Not really had a good play with it yet but I can see already the image quality (particularly in low light) is far superior to my old 600D.

Same deal as Mark above, lots of research, but I ended up picking the 5DmkIII - for me it was the AF, and perhaps oddly, the little 'joystick' on the back. Having moved from a 1DmkIII and and original 5D, I don't think I could live without my AF point selector!

Both are great Cameras and you're going to get excellent results from either. Obviously the 6D will save you a bit of cash too (well, *save* is a relative term!)

Hi

I have just purchased a 6D after a lot of research. I went for the the 6D in preference to 5D's as it was a lot lighter and it was more suited to my level of photography. No good buying a Rolls Royce if you are going to drive it like a mini. Not really had a good play with it yet but I can see already the image quality (particularly in low light) is far superior to my old 600D.

This is great to hear, i have just gone from a 60D to the 6D and was a little unsure if i made the right choice over the 5d3.

The way i look at it if i dont like it i can always sell it and upgrade to the 5d3.

In camera HDR is the worst function on a camera ever, probably the worst "deal breaker" I've ever heard.

Worse than direct print?

Sorry I couldn't resist, in camera HDR is almost as pointless as direct print, and slightly more pointless than the built in microphone.

In camera HDR is the worst function on a camera ever, probably the worst "deal breaker" I've ever heard.

I agree, there is no real control over the process. IF i need to HDR an image i always edit the images in LR (usually 8 images), export them to PS HDR pro and 32bit them, then back to LR.

It bloody long winded but you get the best results without the tackiness!

Worse than direct print?

Sorry I couldn't resist, in camera HDR is almost as pointless as direct print, and slightly more pointless than the built in microphone.

:LOL: Have to admit that I didn't even know that either camera had HDR - if I have ever seen it on a spec sheet, then I wouldn't have absorbed the fact - it is that pointless ;)

Why do you want to upgrade to a FF camera? What are you shooting and what issues / limitations are you suffering from with the crop body?

Noise at high ISO and maybe wants a 50mm to be a 50mm but if he enjoys the extra reach and hardly finds himself using high ISO then a crop Is more suited and probably no need to upgrade to FF :)

Last edited:
manufactures have to justify their prices somehow
Yes.
I've said it before, by selling cameras on features that appeal to consumers...

Like this...
OK, point taken.

Never having used HDR myself I thought it sounded useful.....

Don't take it personally Jerry. But a vast majority of 'camera buyers' have no idea what they need to be able to take good pictures (skill, knowledge, talent) and so can be sold cameras that automate everything to make it easy for them :LOL::LOL:.

OTOH Photographers only need a means to control the aperture and shutter speed. They get excited about variable ISO and inbuilt metering. By the time you've added effective control of auto exposure and auto focus modes you're done.

Photographers don't need 90% of what the camera can 'do' for them. Like all programming, 'good' processing can be done in camera, but the time and effort involved, makes it no easier than processing out of camera.

I have a 5D3 and 6D as backup, they're both great cameras.

They are quite different to use though, the 5D feels bigger & much better built - and just better quality. For example the joystick controller thing on the back is wildly different between the 2 and much quicker and easier to use on the 5. The 5's focus system is obviously better but both focus very well for 90% of what I need.

The 6D is a bit better at high ISO and is much easier to travel with because it's lighter and smaller - with the 40mm 2.8 it's **almost** pocketable.. :) Its a belting camera. And so is the 5.

Back