canon 60d owners thread

Any lens recommendations for beginner. GOing to buy the body only and have £300 to spend. Walkabout lens for general travel, portrait, landscape would be great.

buy it with the kit lens - problem solved

(the 50mm f1.8 is worth getting as well)

the cheapest kit lens is the 18-55 IS for £90 more than the body only. I understand this is not a great lens?

Its okay - but the 15-85, the 18-135, and the 24-105 are all better though.

Personally I use a tamron 17-50 f2.8 , but that's a bit overkill for a begginer

I like the idea of the 18-135 as a walkabout lens. Can't justify the expense currently though.

The newer STM version? Seems to be better thought of than the older one. Can be had for around £300

You have to start them young these days... our two year old is obsessed with the camera and looking at pictures of himself on the back screen.

Just bought a 60D with an 18 - 135mm Lens. Got a Lowepro bag a few filters and now i need to explore all the features and have some fun :) Any tips on the 60D would be great

love the big cats, just a quick one as I havent process them but they saw me and did the old magic trick... Look into the eyes, not around the eyes but into the eyes. haha

Last edited:
A recent shot where we were asked to do photography for the catwalk on the wedding exhibitors, shot at 3200iso I am fairly pleased with how clean it is, albiet a rather low resolution copy it still looks pretty clean

Just found this thread. I've just ordered sigmas 150-500. I let you know how I get on. Other kit is the tamron 17-50 f2.8, canon 55-250, 430ex II flash, cable release, tripod. All kept in a lowepro flipside 400aw

Just found this thread. I've just ordered sigmas 150-500. I let you know how I get on. Other kit is the tamron 17-50 f2.8, canon 55-250, 430ex II flash, cable release, tripod. All kept in a lowepro flipside 400aw

I've got my 150-500 on layby at the moment! It'll be interesting to see it's performance.

These are with the sigma, not my best examples of birds etc but I don't have them uploaded to photobucket unfortunately at the moment.

Its a great lens, I use it for work in motorsport, horse events and other sport events and my own images for birds and also wildlife.

Picked up my 150-500 tonight!!! I'm going to attempt to use it tomorrow after work - I hope there's enough light to do so!!

Dale, those photos look amazing!

So the first thing I've noticed is the weight again... but its so pretty and so much reach!! God I want the weekend already!

Thanks Stephy! Unfortunately they are not the full size or resolution due to going through lightroom then photobucket but I do it because I sell them to the drivers so its a good incentive for them to buy. haha :D

And I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with it, I heard all this rubbish about the lens being poor compared to other canon alternatives but for the price i've yet had anyone to complain or ask me why I don't use canon lenses in the last 2 years so make what you will out of that! :D

The IS is superb on this lens also, i know its not really is relevant but the car shot of the Pug 205 is shot at 1/50th, dependant on your hands and arm strength I find it relatively easy to shoot at 500mm at 1/80th on a non windy day.

I adore the silent focus too, makes the lenses I've used previously seem so clunky and noisy.

Thanks Stephy! Unfortunately they are not the full size or resolution due to going through lightroom then photobucket but I do it because I sell them to the drivers so its a good incentive for them to buy. haha :D

And I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with it, I heard all this rubbish about the lens being poor compared to other canon alternatives but for the price i've yet had anyone to complain or ask me why I don't use canon lenses in the last 2 years so make what you will out of that! :D

The IS is superb on this lens also, i know its not really is relevant but the car shot of the Pug 205 is shot at 1/50th, dependant on your hands and arm strength I find it relatively easy to shoot at 500mm at 1/80th on a non windy day.

On my phone screen I would never have been able to tell!

I can't justify spending the money on the canon lenses - even this ome was a stretch (especially when trying to buy a house!), but I think it will be worth it.

Great news with the IS I'll be taking the tripod out with me this weekend just in case!

I never do :) its remembering to turn it on that gets me ;-)

I've been using a lens that doesn't have IS for the last few months... That has been a very interesting experiment!

Trust my luck... Pick up new lens and plan to try it over the weekend, and we get put on cyclone watch.... Here's hoping that the weekend is clear!

haha, sods law that!

Yeah the IS and silent focus is nice and quick too so they make a decent lens for most subjects.

To put it into perspective I shoot the odd motorcycle too and it has no problems keeping up with them either.

Generally I would say its a pretty damn good buy, only on the odd occasion have I wished it was a little bit faster in the f numbers but then its not very often I use the lens at weddings and they are really the only places I need to see silly low numbers.

Generally in my eyes its 90% of the optics at a third of the price but the only people that will notice that extra 10% is photographers so in reality..... it doesn't make a bit of difference. :)

Houses, bane of my life, haha, building a studio in our garden and its costing an arm and a leg!! :(

Last edited:
So the weather was clear enough to get out with the camera and the 150-500 yesterday...

The rainbow bee eaters were out and about (not the greatest photos of them, but they're such a challenge to capture!). Not to mention the Pelicans and the ducks etc.

I love the 150-500... :-D

Stupid new flickr layout... cant figure out the code things :-(

Last edited:
Unfortunately was hammering down with rain so didnt want to take too much time to frame and shot straight in jpeg so no pp doings but love my cars and love my cameras. haha

Went spent the week on Exmoor and so going to places like Coombe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park and Exmoor Zoo gave me a great chance to try out my new 150-500. Love it. Photos to follow soon.

Finally figured it out!!

I'm obsessed with Rainbow Bee Eaters at the moment (first photo), and loved the light on the second.

Some of my new 150-500 shots here. It seems I was using the IS wrong. I asumed that #2 was a stronger IS and even saud to the mrs why would you want to use one. I have since been told at my camera club the #1 is full IS and #2 is vertical IS. This is confirmed in the instructions that I should've read all of, not just about attachment :facepalm::coat:

Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced flash unit to go on my 60D. My brother has asked me to take some photos on an upcoming fundraising night of people sat on his Sidecar outfit. As usual I get little knowledge of the venue so cant recce it but know its a "working mens" type club and the photos maybe taken on stage but not sure. I don't want to spend a fortune but also want something that will keep going. Cheers,Rob.

Depends on your budget. Probably the most popular mid range choice would be the canon 430EX. Or, you could opt for the Nissin Di622 which is much the same spec but cheaper, although it gets very good reviews. I think it was recently updated, so the 622Mk 1 should be relatively cheap.

Some shots from two recent wedding work we have done the last two weeks.

One was near Belvoir castle so made a nice backdrop

Last edited:
Taken with my sigma 150-500
4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

Back