canon 60d owners thread

Hi, I've just bought the 60D and am beginning to get to grips with it. Just using basic modes for the next while as I don't really understand aperture etc yet! Just a basic question for those who've had theirs for a while - I've got two lens, the 18-135mm that came with it and just bought the Canon 50mm 1.4. I'm thinking of getting the 18-200mm for holidays etc - a good idea? Further down the road should I get something like a 15-35mm for landscapes etc? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Also I've got UV filters and lens hoods for both lens - should I leave the UV on all the time for protection or in your experience does it degrade photo quality? (I've been doing a bit of research on this thorny topic and am confused!). Should I keep the lens hood on when outdoors, but take it off indoors? I'm worried about damaging the lens! There's a lot to get used to with a DSLR for a newbie, so I'd like to get into a routine of when to use UV, lens hoods, polarizing filters etc, as well as which lens to use on which occasion, so please share your tips!

Many thanks,

Bob

Hi,

I don't think you'd gain much from the 18-200 if you already have the 18-135, unless you find yourself needing a bit of extra reach.

You might want to consider the 55-250, nice lens at a great price if your on a budget. Also the 70-200L F4, great lens at a fantastic price.

I suspect you'll get mixed comments about UV filters etc. If you are going to leave it on for protection, get a good quality one, no sense paying for a great lens and sticking cheap glass on the front.

I'd use a lens hood all of the time, reduces flare, increases contrast and protects the front of the lens.

I think I have a UV filter on my 'standard' lens for protection but nothing on my 'good' lenses, looking for best IQ.

You might want to consider Sigma 10-20 for your landscape stuff.

You could then have 10-20, 50, 18-135 and 70-200. A lens for every occasion!!

Cheers,

Kenny

Hi Kenny, many thanks for your reply. Yes I was thinking of the 18-200mm as being the only lens I'd bring on holidays, hopefully good shots of landscapes and a decent zoom as well. Do you use the lens hood indoors - I've heard it can get in the way of the flash? I've read some reviews of the Sigma 10-20 lens, both the f4-5.6 and f3.5, both have got very mixed reviews - generally v good but with some flaws and I don't know enough of the technical side of things to know if that would affect my photos or not. Think I'll get the telephoto shortly and wait for a while for the wide angle. I've got Hoya Pro-1 filters for my two lenses so hopefully they'll do the job without degrading picture quality.

Thanks again,

Bob

Well the time has come where I will be selling up my trusty 60D and all ef-s lenses and 60D only accessories, I have defected to the FF side and ordered myself a 6D and 24-105 F4L. It's been a great camera over the year I have owned it and hopefully it will go to a new owner who can enjoy it as much as I have. So I'm afraid it's time for me to move on from this owners thread over to the 6D owners thread :D

Unfortunately having to sell my 60D, under a year old with low shutter count. Mint condition :(

I love this camera but due to buying a house I cannot afford to keep it.

Any idea how much it's worth?

probably not a great deal tbh brad - when you can get a new one (all be it grey) for 479, then the second hand price is going to be likewise depressed

if you are serious about selling up i'd be inclined to start a thread in price checks - but given how little you'll get it might be worth a rethink and hanging on to it

Yeah I fear you'll be hard pushed to get more than £400 for it. MPB has one in Mint- for £499 so I imagine they'll buy another for £400 and the £100 covers their running costs and warranty etc..

Confirm the shutter count and post it here (in the relevant forums), if it really low you'll get more than selling it to trade if you can afford to wait. Your lenses would probably net you more, especially the 150-500. I'd sell the ones that net the most and keep the 18-135 so you have a good camera with a lens good enough for day to day use; personally.

Hi there, I'm new on here and just got a 60d (my first dslr).

There's some great pictures in this thread, just wish I could take some like that!,
Better keep practising:)

Some Photos from the 750MC Gaz Shocks BMW Compact cup at Brands Hatch, we do the photos for the TV and Organisers and drivers... so anyone who says 60D's cant take action shots... don't know what they are talking about. haha

Ordered my 60d today. Can't wait for it to be delivered so i can get taking some shots. Will be a considerable upgrade to the sony a200 i currently have.

well for those of you afraid at shooting high iso with the "small" sensor we have have no fear!

Not bad for a 2000 iso @ 500mm shot ;)

and this little blighter that keeps eating all the nuts off my bird feeded!!!

6400 ISO this is a mean mother in low light and having compared images I think better than the 7D

8276017380_49bd7f1942_o.jpg

I agree, for what I would deem "normal" use upto near a3 size I would be happy enough to use upto ISO 3200 if I get the exposure on and have a play in raw as I feel its a solid sensor.

6400 I have used and again, feel it can be perfectly usable, not perfect but perfectly ok to use.

One thing with noise I have noticed when showing photos to customers is that even if I can see noise or what I would deem a small flaw in the photo, they don't see it so potentially we as photographers are more critical with regards to the Noise terms than is needed.

One thing with noise I have noticed when showing photos to customers is that even if I can see noise or what I would deem a small flaw in the photo, they don't see it so potentially we as photographers are more critical with regards to the Noise terms than is needed.

That - "normal people" look at that football shot and are drawn straight to the action - only photographers look to the lowlights at the top of the frame to check out the noise - :bonk:

I'm, seriously tempted to get a 60D now that the 70D is due and prices are falling - I just wish they hadn't changed the battery as I have about 14 BP511s - maybe i'll go for a low acts 50D instead - hmm decisions decisions

I knew that the 70D was coming out, but I went and bought a new 60D body yesterday for £450, price probably would come down a little more, but I think it's worth it.

I would have liked a 70D but I really don't have the £1000 odd.

That - "normal people" look at that football shot and are drawn straight to the action - only photographers look to the lowlights at the top of the frame to check out the noise - :bonk:

I'm, seriously tempted to get a 60D now that the 70D is due and prices are falling - I just wish they hadn't changed the battery as I have about 14 BP511s - maybe i'll go for a low acts 50D instead - hmm decisions decisions

Precisely my point, people moan about minimal noise on the sensors, jeez get a grip.

People don't even notice it, hell I just sorted out a canvas of someones photos they gave to me just last week.

To me it was noisy as anything but then I had it sorted and they love it.

Personally I don't even care about a little bit of noise, the shot being good is far more important.

Nice one buying a 60D, you wont regret it, as superb camera and after 29,000 shots on mine so far I would buy it at the £640 I paid for it again tomorrow if I had to. (y)

Just one from Waddington Airshow today of the Typhoon with wind breaking off its wings. :)

Hello everyone, im thinking about getting a 60D this month. can someone answer me a couple of quick questions.

1) im thinking about getting a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM with it. whats you thoughts? id like to use the lens as my walk about lens. or is there a better one you can recommend for a budget for about £450?

2) is it true you can zoom while recorded video with this lens (or any lens).

thanks guys

Hello everyone, im thinking about getting a 60D this month.

I think the 60D has been discontinued in favour of the new 70D. It's still available and is a good camera (I have one) but I thought you might want to know - if you didn't already - as the price may be on a downward trajectory...

Last edited:
Hello everyone, im thinking about getting a 60D this month. can someone answer me a couple of quick questions.

1) im thinking about getting a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM with it. whats you thoughts? id like to use the lens as my walk about lens. or is there a better one you can recommend for a budget for about £450?

2) is it true you can zoom while recorded video with this lens (or any lens).

thanks guys

The best lens for walkabout would probably be the 15-85mm but if the reach is not enough do look at the 18-135mm STM that produces extremely good IQ and is within your price range as well, dont compare it to its cheaper brother it has a lot faster silent focusing system and better glass.

Thanks for your input guys. i have decided to go for the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM for my 60D. :)

Thanks for your input guys. i have decided to go for the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM for my 60D. :)

And the decision will be totally justified if/when you make the leap to full frame.

There will be occasions when 24mm is not wide enough on a crop sensor.
When I had my 60D I used stitching to overcome this. I didn't need it that often, but it's good to have experimented before you need it. I used autostitch.

time to have a troll through this thread as Im in the market for a 60d as a prime body with my 500d as 2nd. Do they have a photo count facility to aid buying a second hand body?

Just ordered a 60mm 2.8 macro lens, should be here in the next couple of days as a birthday treat for myself.

Setup so far -
Canon 18-135mm STM (thinking about selling)
Canon 17-55mm 2.8 (amazing lens)
60mm Macro

Want a wide angle like the Canon 10-20mm, then I'll be happy.

I'd add something a bit longer as well - maybe a 70-200 f4 (or f2.8 if you can afford it) - of course it depends what you do, but even for landscapes there are times when 200mm comes in handy

Thanks for the advise. I was also thinking the same, about a little more reach needed. The f2.8 might be a little over kill for the amount of times I would use it. The f4 IS is fairly reasonable in price.

Get rid of the 18-135mm STM and get the 70-200 f4.

course it depends how much you are going to use it - if its just the occasional thing the nifty two fifty (55-250 IS) is a cracking little lens for the money

the 70-200 is a much better lens - but is a much higher price so :shrug:

i dont have a proper macro lens but just a quick one from tonight after puttin our lad to bed

then a bird too

Bit the Bullet and ordered the 60D £411 delivered from E-Globe Digital store

I have a Canon 24-105mm F4 waiting to go on it and should be a perfect walkabout lens and will be looking for an ultra wide lens and a long range one in the near future any suggestions?

My lens has a UV filter on it but reading through this post I might take it off and use the hood instead.

its hard to beat the tokina 11-16 f2.8 as a UWA - but they cost

before that I had a sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 which was okay

at the long end I like the sigma 50-500OS although for those on a budget the 150-500 OS is good too

Back