canon 60D wireless /remote shooting

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Maybe its because ii use a generic rather than canon branded one , or maybe its just the way canon electronics are set up hence need to verify before i go out and spend.
But i have my canon 60D setup to focus using the back button ( AF on button ) then it meters and fires using the shutter button ( custom function C.Fn IV operation others selection number 1 ).

however i have noticed my wireless controlelr on this setting will not AF . but will fire . if i change to standard focus setting ( selection 0 eter and AF on shutter button ) then the remote autofocuses and fires.

so i can only guess that the wireless port ( the mini jack one below the usb port on 60d specifically for remote ) is somehow wired into the shutter button for autofocusing.

anyone come across this before and know a way round ( other than switch custom function back to default each time shooting wirelessly ).

Your findings are correct....you need to have focus on the shutter release button to use a remote trigger (unless the lens is set to MF). This applies to all Canon bodies, not just the 60D.

Bob

Could you set up a custom function specifically for when you want to use the remote.
Seem to remember I had back button set on a custom function so presumably would work in reverse

hmm i think custom functions might be limited to shutter/iso aperture etc rather than what physiclal buttons you use.. no biggie i dont use the wireless very often but was doing some test shots with new softbox and didnt have anyone about so had to make do with selfies and was puzzledas to why remote wasnt focusing at first.
i guess wired would be the same issue as its all tethered to the shutter button electonically. so not sure if theres any way around it with a different type of release.

ok think ive solved it.. ive programmed C mode on the dial so it switches foucusing method but still gives me control over the other functions such as shutter speed, ISO etc.. bit of pain really but at least it makes life a little easier.

C (custom) mode was what I tried to explain albeit not very well, I had the AF-ON button along with other landscape type settings assigned to C1

Last edited:
yeah all done now.. and shows how much i play around with settings i could just press Q button and theres an option there to change custom setting for the shutter and AF on buttons etc.. still a quick twist of the dial is easiest way.
just gotta wait for my new studio monolight to arrive now and do some testing with it

Back