1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mikehamilton

Mikehamilton

Name:
    Michael
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi Guys

Like a twit during my house move ive misplaced my 7D's instruction book and i have a quick question regarding mirror lock-up and continuous shooting.

Well not continuous shooting as a burst more like one shot every 5 seconds for time lapse purposes.

My question is, is there a way so you can lock the mirror up and then prevent it from returning to normal after the first shot. so every subsequent shot only the shutter curtains are opening each shot?

Is this possible?

Thanks

Mike
  2. markmullen

markmullen

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Easiest way will be to use liveview.
  3. Mikehamilton

Mikehamilton

Name:
    Michael
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    would live view work with an intervalometer?
  4. hsuffyan

hsuffyan

Edit My Images:
    No
    is it long shutter time lapse that you're doing? if not then mirror lock up won't really help much. I can try it on my 5DMKII and intervalometer tonight and report back.
  5. Mikehamilton

Mikehamilton

Name:
    Michael
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Depends really, i will eventually be trying out night time / star time lapse stuff. im thinking about trying to minimise any possible shake during shooting. and im guessing that mirror movement wont be too much of an issue for a time lapse. Just being over cautious i guess :thinking:
  6. hsuffyan

hsuffyan

Edit My Images:
    No
    it's a very worthwhile question. In my experience, mirror lockup is most beneficial between 1-5 seconds. Any longer at the mirror slap just gets ironed out by the longer exposure.
  7. Mikehamilton

Mikehamilton

Name:
    Michael
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    well i want to start out with photos at a 5 second interval for day time time lapses. so i can try live view as suggested. i just dont want any undue shaking in the finished time lapse due to mirror movement. but as said im just being over cautious
  8. Hotshots

Hotshots

Name:
    Gordon
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You can download your camera's instructions book from the Canon website, I always keep a download version handy on my desktop encase i need to look anything up quickly.
  9. tdodd

tdodd

Name:
    Tim
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Live View will drain the battery faster and heat up the sensor, which is bad, especially in summer. If you set the 2 second timer and enable MLU then each time the shutter is triggered the camera will lift the mirror and start the two second countdown. It should work perfectly with an external intervalometer.