Canon 7d11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never felt the need to upgrade to a 5d3, owning a 1d4 - sure, the ISO is better, but everything else is equal, or worse in the case of the FPS and build quality. It's more of a side shift. More pixels on target lends itself to a 1d4 for wildlife photography for me.
As for 7D2, I hope it's a groundbreaking camera, better than my 1d4. Time will tell, the price will be extortionate initially, but about 1.5 years on from release will be a good time to buy.
We will see, hype on each and every release, we will see if they deliver the goods. I'm sure there will be people singing its praises but also those that complain and nothing will ever be good enough for them.

I suspect that they've been hoping that the buying public's obsession with pixel count would fade away and FF would be the new "must have" for all genre. The 5D3 didn't noticeably up the pixel count from the 5D2 and cramming more on to an APS-C sensor wouldn't give any realistic benefit either.....how many mainstream lenses can provide enough detail for 22Mp FF or 15Mp on a crop if DxO's numbers are assumed to be accurate?
Keeping the APS-C pixel count down a little (as seen with the 1Dx v 1DSMkIII on FF) and using the "space" to improve noise levels would be beneficial but not the ideal solution for the marketing department.

Bob

Nikon / Sony demonstrated that removal of AA filter can help to resolve more on high res sensors, so 20MP APS-C may make sense after all. 1Ds3 had some of the strongest AA filters so that even 1Dx resolves better (by 10-20% according to canon themselves).

If the Canon marketing department can't create a campaign for 'the best low light camera available' then they hardly deserve a job. Just because the pixel count isn't making it easy for them, doesn't make their job 'difficult'. Almost all DSLR buyers know that megapixels are a nonsense to judge by, we all know that a 30megapixel phone will be thrashed in the real world by a 6 megapixel FF DSLR, that battle doesn't need fighting.

Weddings don't require 30, not even 20mp in most cases. However there is more to photography than just weddings and I had clients that wanted 600MB TIFF files... I also regularly print at A2 or larger so 6 won't really cut it for me.

Weddings don't require 30, not even 20mp in most cases. However there is more to photography than just weddings and I had clients that wanted 600MB TIFF files... I also regularly print at A2 or larger so 6 won't really cut it for me.
I don't think I said that 6mp would be enough for anyone - just that we all know....

go read it again if you're concerned :(

Nikon / Sony demonstrated that removal of AA filter can help to resolve more on high res sensors, so 20MP APS-C may make sense after all. 1Ds3 had some of the strongest AA filters so that even 1Dx resolves better (by 10-20% according to canon themselves).
Once you reach the stage where the available lenses run out of resolving power (relative to the sensor) then the lens, in effect, becomes the AA filter.

The 1Ds range was peered by the 1D range with the Ds's being typically optimised for sub-telephoto fast (and lower resolving) lenses whereas the D's were aimed at telephoto users. The strength of the AA filter for each type was 'valid' until the two ranges were combined (1Dx) and users didn't expect their sharp telephotos to be mushed down too much. Modern sensors with gapless micro lenses also reduce the need to perform any over aggressive anti-aliasing.

Bob

I'm a big fan of the 7D, am just hoping that they improve the AF and sensor anything else is a bonus
I won't be upgrading for a long time tho I only occasionally need high iSO the 7D is excellent up to 800 and 1600 is pretty good

I'm a big fan of the 7D, am just hoping that they improve the AF and sensor anything else is a bonus
I won't be upgrading for a long time tho I only occasionally need high iSO the 7D is excellent up to 800 and 1600 is pretty good
I thought the 7d AF is rather good, one of the best?

I thought the 7d AF is rather good, one of the best?

Yes you are right it's very good but apparently the 5D3 AF is even better
I didn't word it very well it's a great camera happy with mine, just occasionally the AF struggles but only for small macro subjects in some situations
I'm probably asking too much of any camera to auto focus on a damselflies tail in low light!!

EOS iTR sounds interesting. Will this now be Canon's default sports body??

EOS iTR sounds interesting. Will this now be Canon's default sports body??
Several of us have tried the iTR on the 1Dx and come to the conclusion that it slows things down too much for field sports although it's probably okay for something like tennis where there's a single face to track around.

Bob

Ah ok. I've not tried it myself.

I wonder if this will be tweaked on the 7d2?

Any idea what this might cost with a 15 - 85 mm lens?

Saw a $1700 or $1800 price mentioned somewhere on the canonrumors forum but it didn't specify whether that was with a lens or not. From recent releases that'll probably translate to £1700 or £1800 lol :/

£1499.99 for cash.

If these pictures can be relied on then it's great to see that the toggle thingy has been retained on the back instead of the directional arrows on more recent Canon releases.

Spot on dauirdas.

I had predicted £1499.99 but I am now thinking the early adopter fee will add £300 :)

But for me it has go to have a great high ISO sensor.

I recently sold my new Pentax K-3 because the sensor in my K-5II performs marginally better when it comes to high ISO and dynamic range (rest of the camera was brilliant though) so I have some spare cash hanging around. Hoping the MKII is a decent step up from the original 7D sensor wise and if so I can see myself being very tempted ... especially if it can AF on the centre point at f8.

EF400mm f5.6 and 1.4x converter autofocusing on a crop body .... very nice (in good light)

Or HDEW. I am looking forward to the reports, see how it performs in low light situations.

It seems to me that Canon are spending more RD cash in video than still so over the last 2-3 years. In a relatively short term we had 1dx, 5dIII and 6d, now after what seems an age, IMO a modest 7d upgrade. Like the improve buffer though!

However, my mark 1 is still a good camera, so will wait for next Summer to see where prices settle.

Still hoping for either a 100-400mm II or a 400mm f5.6 II

Accurate exposures every time
A completely new metering sensor with a resolution of 150,000 pixels splits the frame into 252 individual zones and chooses the most appropriate exposure settings every time the camera is raised to the eye. Infrared detection delivers accuracy in tricky lighting conditions, while innovative flicker detection provides shot-to-shot consistency under artificial light, a major boon for sports photographers shooting indoor sports, for example.

So will the pudding be nice?

It's the 1d mk5 without the 'pro' grip. :) (As predicted by many)

If the low light images are what I'm hoping for, then it'll go on the shopping list. If not, it'll be a 6d.

I don't need full frame (of the 6d) or sports quality AF (of the 7dII), I just need cleaner images.

That's precisely my thinking. Surely they HAVE to pull something special or of the bag with the sensor?

It has F8 focussing on a 1.6 crop body for the first time (for Canon). Bit of a dream body for birders.

Last edited:
Well I for line am disappointed :( All my investment in Nikon kit and it's Canon that brings out the D400 I've been waiting for :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back