Canon 7d11

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are still missing the point. That's exactly what I want to see. Not some carefully managed shoot co-ordinated by Canon.
I want to see real field work, including exposure errors. Only that can really tell you what the camera is capable of - including exposure recovery.

Perfect tests are next to useless.
Well we have different expectations of tests then :)

For me, Canon appear to have answered my wish list. I love my 7D, but the AF areas are too large for my main use and I find that it does lose AF very easily during sequences. I am not too bothered by high ISO above 1600, although if it is that much better I may find myself using this. I use Phase one RAW converter which gives better oise reduction than ACR I've found. The new AF module with 65 all cross-type and the new intelligent tracking function may just be what I am looking for. Even more pleasing is that they have kept the price down. £1599 at launch is cheaper than the 7D, and I expect once stocks circulate that this will come closer to £1100-£1200. I must say I am tempted by WEX's 0% APR on pre-orders though!

You and me Both... its just how I can convince the wife to let me get it though. The noise control looks good up to 6400 from what I have seen which is fantastic in my view and as you say would achieve what I need for my style of shooting... could get some more ambient light shooting in over my 500d which is ok up to ISO400.

Yes it looks like an amazing camera, if the colours / image quality (dynamic range or whatever it's called )is the same at 1600 ISO as at 800 then I will be seriously tempted
Im mainly at ISO 400 and 800 with my 7D and the image quality is excellent if I could go higher with the ISO that would be really good
The extra focus points will be useful too, does anyone know if they are closer to the edges of the viewfinder ?
I'm the same as Bryn tho the missus would have to approve:D

Yes it looks like an amazing camera, if the colours / image quality (dynamic range or whatever it's called )is the same at 1600 ISO as at 800 then I will be seriously tempted
Im mainly at ISO 400 and 800 with my 7D and the image quality is excellent if I could go higher with the ISO that would be really good
The extra focus points will be useful too, does anyone know if they are closer to the edges of the viewfinder ?
I'm the same as Bryn tho the missus would have to approve:D

lol.... yes they are a lot closer to the edge on the reviews I have seen wish I could remember the video I watched with that on... think it maybe tony northrup.

More practical reviews and a DXO test would be handy and as you say DR / IQ at higher ISO would be handy. Though the 7D would be a massive upgrade for me from the 500d.

lol.... yes they are a lot closer to the edge on the reviews I have seen wish I could remember the video I watched with that on... think it maybe tony northrup.

More practical reviews and a DXO test would be handy and as you say DR / IQ at higher ISO would be handy. Though the 7D would be a massive upgrade for me from the 500d.
Yes the 7D mk 1 is excellent up to ISO 800:)
Everyone talks about noise but it's the look of the colours that change at high ISO that's more the issue
Yes will wait and see the reviews but I'm confident that the IQ at higher ISO will be improved, it's too important a camera for canon to get it wrong
I will have to wait for the price to come down though it's a bit out of my budget at the moment

and the really good news for me is that this release will depress the price of mint second user 7D mk1s :)

and the really good news for me is that this release will depress the price of mint second user 7D mk1s :)
Yes you're right the 7D mk1 would be a bargain now it's still an excellent camera
I certainly won't sell mine if and when I upgrade although I wouldn't get much as the shutter count is nearly 80K :D

Yes you're right the 7D mk1 would be a bargain now it's still an excellent camera
I certainly won't sell mine if and when I upgrade although I wouldn't get much as the shutter count is nearly 80K :D
Ts already a bargain, though I thought that at £700, at £500 it's a steal. The other Canon bodies should hold it's value up now though, it's a good buy against an xxd now. I think it'll take an 80d and the market to be flooded with 70d's to make a big dint in the price again.

mind you a low acts 50D is about 250 quid these days, which is also a tempting upgrade from my venerable 40D

Just watching that, the things bloody tiny! Was expecting at least 300 2.8 sizing and it's clearly smaller than that. Pretty light too.

If I was a Canon person I'd be looking at both the 7Dii and 400 DO.

Though the original 400 DO was crap wasn't it? 5x times the price of the f5.6 with a quarter of the image quality seems to be the concensus.

Though the original 400 DO was crap wasn't it? 5x times the price of the f5.6 with a quarter of the image quality seems to be the concensus.
It had 'weird' bokeh. Though it had it's fans most people dismissed it almost instantly. The in focus area was gorgeous iirc, it was just the OoF stuff that sucked.

Another video of the 7d2 I came across. Something a little different. The more I look at it the more it I like it.

Thats the same one earlier in thread and the guy got slated for shooting in jpeg and saying image quality is everything. Lol

Another video of the 7d2 I came across. Something a little different. The more I look at it the more it I like it.

Up until I read this post I really wanted a nice new 7D mk 2. Now I really wanna try doing what that geezer in the video is doing! Does anyone know what that water sport is? That looks like it would be a blast!

I would still like the camera though.

I believe that in the 5D MK III you could make adjustments to the ratio and power levels inside the camera with regards the new Canon radio speedlite flash, can you do this with the 7D MK II? By the way I am not suggesting that the 7D MK II can trigger the 600EX-RT optically and understand that the 7D MK II would still need a radio trigger.

I believe that in the 5D MK III you could make adjustments to the ratio and power levels inside the camera with regards the new Canon radio speedlite flash, can you do this with the 7D MK II? By the way I am not suggesting that the 7D MK II can trigger the 600EX-RT optically and understand that the 7D MK II would still need a radio trigger.
Almost certainly, and it'll possibly have the menu system from the 5d3 which is better to use than the old 7d menu for flash.

But you're still better off with triggers with their own menus.

im actually stunned at how poor an upgrade this is..canon are milking it...new sensor don't think so ,,same old bayer quality which is really old.,..at least sony are being different and bringing new sensor tech out ..were are the big megapixel cameras off canon ..my advice save yourself some cash and get a 7d ...I was hoping for something revolutionary and canon are just not for me anymore ..canon have the r&d to make a multilayer sensor but will not do so ..as long as there are people with money to burn we wont see a massive upgrade just tiny things here and there..im sick of all this iso 2800 blah blah ..its just not needed,,whats needed is a image quality boost a big one..and why no swifel screen ,,why only 3 inch why not 3.5inch ..I dread to think what the 5dmk3 follow up will be ...

I wonder how many mkiv's will flood the used market now..?

I wouldn't mind another nice 1D, but they are still priced way over the top. When you think about it 1D X is really the one to dream about. Hopefully I can do some good trade against one of my 5Ds.

im actually stunned at how poor an upgrade this is..canon are milking it...new sensor don't think so ,,same old bayer quality which is really old.,..at least sony are being different and bringing new sensor tech out ..were are the big megapixel cameras off canon ..my advice save yourself some cash and get a 7d ...I was hoping for something revolutionary and canon are just not for me anymore ..canon have the r&d to make a multilayer sensor but will not do so ..as long as there are people with money to burn we wont see a massive upgrade just tiny things here and there..im sick of all this iso 2800 blah blah ..its just not needed,,whats needed is a image quality boost a big one..and why no swifel screen ,,why only 3 inch why not 3.5inch ..I dread to think what the 5dmk3 follow up will be ...

If it's improved image quality you're after, then full-frame is the way - always has been, always will be. Bigger just has fundamental advantages all round.

While the 7D2's sensor doesn't seem to be a big leap forward in IQ, Canon has certainly put a lot of effort into it with it's dual-pixel AF technology. They clearly see this as an important technology and are leading the way on that front. I think they have a point too, with a camera aimed at sports and wildlife shooters using long lenses. Reliable AF is a major problem and it doesn't matter how good the sensor is if the image is out of focus anyway.

I'm guessing that all those dual-pixels actually don't help from an IQ point of view, so they've had to crank up the processing engine just make modest progress (though we actually haven't seen any real evidence of what the new sensor is capable of). Given the R&D investment in dual-pixel CMOS, it would seem to be a nail in the coffin of any new Foveon-type sensor from Canon.

As for giving up on Canon, disappointed folks should remember than Canon is in business to make money, not to realise everyone's dream camera. And they've been doing that better than any other camera manufacturer for the last few decades. The upside of that is if they make decent profits (not easy in declining markets) they can invest in better products.

This is a MASSIVE upgrade. In fact it's the camera i've been waiting for my whole photography life. What appears to be 1Dx level AF in a 1.6 crop camera.

No swivel screen because it ruins ergonomics and it's a weak point for a camera specifically built to be tougher. None of the pro-grade dslrs have if you've noticed.

Not sure why you were hoping for something "revolutionary" in the sensor department? Almost anything they could have put out wouldn't have made much of a difference to overall image quality anyway with the mexapixels we are at nowadays.
I've used a D800 and that's not a "revolution" in sensor tech either in regards to the difference it actually makes to overall picture quality. It's just an upgrade in pixels like all the other companies introduce.

The patents for the multilayer sensor weren't registered all that long ago in the scheme of things so there was no way anything like that would be in the camera, or if they'll ever manage to do it. Companies patent things like that all the time without it ever seeing the light of day.

Amusingly after you talking about a hope for something revolutionary, the physical operational side of the camera could almost be described as that. No one's put genuine pro-level AF and handling in a crop camera of this sort before.

Last edited:

This has to be one of the funniest posts on the thread so far!

I wouldn't mind another nice 1D, but they are still priced way over the top. When you think about it 1D X is really the one to dream about. Hopefully I can do some good trade against one of my 5Ds.

Have both so no dreaming needed..! I think some are over priced, I saw one the other day up for £2300 which is way of..
Still may have a little looksie at a mkii

to me it is about making money ,,that's what these companys do...I use a The Phase One IQ180 and I have 3 sigma Merrill cameras,,nothing I mean nothing can come close to pixel sharpenss with these things ..even the sony a7r which I also owned along with the d800e none are even close ..I wanted so badly for canon to use a new tech and beat all the other comanys ,but it hasn't happened ..they haven't even got a big mega pixel camera and if they release one it will be well over priced...I don't do fast moving stuff anymore but I did have a 1dx and when I heard there was nothing that good from canon I thought just get rid..ill never go back to them again ..I don't do fast paste stuff now just poster size stuff ,jewelry and landscape.....small upgrades that should have been in the 7d in the first place...sorry canon but your not bringing anything new to the table

to me it is about making money ,,that's what these companys do...I use a The Phase One IQ180 and I have 3 sigma Merrill cameras,,nothing I mean nothing can come close to pixel sharpenss with these things ..even the sony a7r which I also owned along with the d800e none are even close ..I wanted so badly for canon to use a new tech and beat all the other comanys ,but it hasn't happened ..they haven't even got a big mega pixel camera and if they release one it will be well over priced...I don't do fast moving stuff anymore but I did have a 1dx and when I heard there was nothing that good from canon I thought just get rid..ill never go back to them again ..I don't do fast paste stuff now just poster size stuff ,jewelry and landscape.....small upgrades that should have been in the 7d in the first place...sorry canon but your not bringing anything new to the table

So you make pointless complaints about an upgrade to the 7D that isn't remotely orientated towards your type of photography? There's no way you could have a high fps and the quality you are wanting.
Stop "wanting a company to beat all the other companies" and just get on with your photography. You already use a Phase One so go and use that, as that is the perfect camera for you, instead of apparently wanting Canon to completely change a camera designed for action.
For the people who actually need what the 7D is designed for, the mk2 is almost faultless now, judging from the specs.

Your expectations seem to be monumentally unrealistic and almost immature in nature.

Well I like what I see but will wait until the "must have it as soon as possible coz its new" folk have done the initial testing and Canon have brought out a firmware update or two to address teething issues and then Ill trade my 5DMkIII for one probably.

Hopefully then I wil have the best of both worlds. A high spec crop camera with reasonable highish ISO quality and a FF with very good high ISO quality.

I like the look of this. I think I'll wait until we get some proper user reviews before making the decision! The 1DIV still looks a tempting option however.

I'd love to see a Phase One or a Merrill capture half a ton of horse crossing a brush hedge, acquire focus accurately from an obscured position with tracking interference, in low light, and give A1 sized prints at a decent quality. For £1600.

That's what a 7DII will be able to do.

Pretty damned remarkable I'd say.

.....sorry canon but your not bringing anything new to the table
Do you really expect them to be innovative in a consumer range body? If there's likely to be anything ground-breaking around then it's almost always going to be in one of the so-called "flagship" cameras and passed down from there in the same way that car manufacturers and other industries do.

Bob

I smell trolling, you appear to be an expert one minute, then the next can't work out simple stuff. Forget the great features of the 7dII, it's real design strengths. It'll produce cleaner 1600iso shots than those fantastically sharp Sigmas.

Seriously what use is the sharpest sensor and all that beautiful colour reproduction if it dies on it's arse as soon as you touch the ISO dial?

I'm seriously hoping it's better than the 70d, if not as good as a Sony sensor, I want 2 stops better than the 7d, if it's not that good, then it's not the camera for me, though it will still sell by the bucketload to sports and wildlife photographers.

as I said I already owned a 1dx and yes it was fast so I know what im talking about...all im getting a cross is everyone is getting milked .small upgrades..for god sake how old is the cmos bayer sensor ..and as for the uk price of £1519 crazy..i bet any money the dynamic range will be average at best ..the sensor will still have artifacts ..big deal if its got less noise at high iso ..just get a 6d..and to phil v im not saying im an expert im just pointing out the facts...SAME OLD SENSOR TECH ...

unrealistic in nature ive just noticed that comment..let me wipe the mug off your forehead if you think canon are givin us a new type of tech that is at an affordable price..how long has the cmos bayer sensor been going...atleast sigma tried something new with the foveon sensor..

Well I want a 7D Mk 2, to replace my 7D Mk 1. Does anyone know when they will actually be generally available to buy without pre-ordering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back