Canon 7dmk2 or 5d mk3,?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
I have a mk1 7 d which I shall keep as Im happy with ,range of L glass 600f4. 300 f2.8 etc for wildlife, but think the IQ could be better? Should I go 7d mk2 or 5d mk3 . I enjoy macro ,wildlife and landscape.

Last edited:
I have no real experience with any of the cameras as I dumped Canon years ago. But, I would say it would depend on what sort of deal you can get on them and how much you are willing to pay. If money was no issue the 5D looks to be the clear winner in iq going by reviews. Being full frame you may wish to mate it with teleconverter to get your reach back for longer shots. With the D5 high iso performance and that fast glass you have a teleconverter should not be a problem. But as I say I am by no means a Canon buff.

Last edited:
The image quality from the 5D3 is better than the 7D MkII and ISO performance is comfortably better also.

However I'm impressed with the 7D MkII from the bit of messing about I've done with it.

Given that your going to keep the 7D you already have then for me it would be the 5D3. AF is excellent on it and in my opinion the files that come out of it don't need a lot of PP to get the best out of them.

In fact the only fly in the ointment if the 6FPS which is a bit slow for wildlife in my view. Having said that I bought a 5D3 to use alongside a 1D MkIV and hardly used the MkIV after so impressed was I with the 5D.

I'm just about to sell my 5D3 after buying a 7D MkII for the extra reach but I also have a 1DX so to me I will have the best of both worlds. 2 bodies that I can set up pretty much the same which some times was an issue with the 5D when I picked it up in a hurry.

Spent about 6 weeks reading reviews agonising over the same decision ahead of the 7D II release. Ultimately the ISO and full frame were the deciding factors for me and I took the plunge late last month. Hardest thing to adjust to is the loss of reach, so teleconverter is on my Xmas list. The 5D's picture quality and performance are simply breath-taking.

It's a bigger jump from a 1.6 crop than the 1.3 I had. The ISO is good enough on the 5D3 that pushing it a stop to compensate for the 1.4 that I used a lot was no big deal. I have A3+ prints at ISO 2000 that are superb.

It's a bigger jump from a 1.6 crop than the 1.3 I had. The ISO is good enough on the 5D3 that pushing it a stop to compensate for the 1.4 that I used a lot was no big deal. I have A3+ prints at ISO 2000 that are superb.

It's not just the light loss you have to worry about though but also the resolution loss and the drop in AF performance from the TCs :( Whilst TCs are useful, they're not the ideal way of doing things.

Judging by the lenses you've invested in then I'd personally think the 7d2 would be better.

Ultimately you'd be better off testing them yourself since you know what you want ;)

I don't see much of a performance drop in either quality or AF with a 1.4 convertor on my 500. Having 2 1.6 crop cameras seems pretty pointless and if the OP takes a lot of landscapes then the 5D is going to comfortably out perform the MkII.

The only advantages that the MkII has over the 5D3 are the crop and the FPS. Is the improvement in noise and AF over the MkI a good enough reason to buy such a similar camera to one the OP already owns. Ultimately only he can answer that. If he was selling the MkI and needed one body to do all then the MkII makes more sense.

Thanks all looks like a 5d for me ,my field craft is pretty good so I can get close enough and the 7d mk1 is great at what it was bought for but enjoying alot of macro and church photography so crop not a factor .
The next question should I buy now or wait abit?

Mk 3 on order just need help on the settings what do people chose .

You won't regret it. Quite versatile with its set up. It really depends on your requirements. How do you have your 7D set up

settings are always dependant on the subject matter and conditions along with how you want your image to look :)

I have a mk1 7 d which I shall keep as Im happy with ,range of L glass 600f2.8. 300 f2.8 etc for wildlife, but think the IQ could be better? Should I go 7d mk2 or 5d mk3 . I enjoy macro ,wildlife and landscape.

600 f2.8 ? that must be heavy !..............or a typing error ?
I think the 5d mk 3 would be ideal to have alongside your 7d.

Back