Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
looking at some batteries for my 400d, and there seems to be 3 categories :

canon originals which most expensive, about 60 quid

other manufacturers , eg calumet, hahnel etc about 30 quid

real cheapies - about 10 quid.

is there much difference in the quality of these ?

7dayshop

got three compatible ones (BP511A) about £7 each - great stuff and more mAh than OEM!

7dayshop should be fine. With the amount they must have sold I think we'd know by now if they were no good. I doubt you'll see any difference between these and the Canon originals.

I bought a cheapie off eBay and I have to say that I have noticed a big difference between that and the original battery. The cheap one does not hold the charge as well and does not last the course as the original one - Maybe I was unlucky :shrug:

This is so noticeable to me I was going to replace with a genuine Canon battery.

I have a mixture as well, they are ok, but has been said they don't seem to last as long. But depending on how much you are shooting you should be ok. I would be more tempted to go for the mid priced ones if you can afford it, saying that you could get the double the number 7 dayshop ones and still be quids in. I did get one fromm there a few years back when I got a G2 it has died a death, and Canon is still useable. I got a couple of mid priced ones when I got my grip with my 10D which are now getting to the same stage so looking at getting a few more to replace these. Think I would rather spen
that bit extra and not have a battery run out of power half way through a shoot.

I have two batteries for mine, one original with the camera, and a second one from Jessops, bought 1 month after getting the camera (3 years ago).
The Jessops one lasts about twice as long as the canon. Can get through a day and a bit shooting at a Disney park with the Jessops, and less than a day with the Canon

the benifit of a canon battery is they are a known quantity, ie you know all canon batteries will last roughly the same amount of use.

as the above posts show there is better and worse 'compatible'

You can get Canon ones for less than £25 though, Amazon for example.

My 7 day shop batteries are great. Long lasting when in use and they seem to have little to no drain when not in use. I plugged one in after it sat dormant for a month or so in case it has discharged and it was still full.

I used the 7DayShop cheapies in my 400D and now use them in my 30D.
In both cases they have been as good as, if not better than, the Canon originals.

I've had 12 of the cheapest ones off ebay over the past 4 years or so. A couple only lasted about a year before they wouldn't hold a charge for long. Five have just gone the same way recently, so have lasted around 3 to 4 years. The remaining five are still going strong. All have been numbered and cycled in turn, and they've all had a lot of use. For something like the £5 each or less that I paid for them, 3 or 4 years use is good value for me.

I have a cheap one as a spare in the bag, haven't used it enough to know whether it's particularly good or bad but it does the job for me (y)

Back